Your Position on Prophetic Interpretation in Revelations?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.

What is your position on the means of Interpreting Revelation?

Preterist
24%
Futurist
53%
Historicist
12%
Eclectic
No votes
Other
12%

Total votes: 17

Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Your Position on Prophetic Interpretation in Revelations?

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Some possible positions to take with regard to the interpretation of Prophesy, specifically within Revelation. Which one most closely describes yours?

Preterist: Belief that the Prophecies of Revelation have already been fulfilled.

Futurist: Belief that Revelation contains a forecast of universal History.

Historicist: Belief that the events of Revelation are symbolic portrayals of Church History from the New Testament until the end of the age.

Eclectic: (Idealist) Stresses the spiritual principles of Revelation and does not attempt to dogmatize regarding the details of the more mysterious elements of the book. This may sometimes include seeing both a near and a far element to prophesy.

I'm beginning to reread Revelation and taking a closer look in view of other discussions here. I'd be interested to see what the environment here is.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by SUGAAAAA »

I voted preterist, except I dont think all prophecy has been fulfilled. The resurrection, and the Return of Jesus' has yet to happen. (this is partial preterism).
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Voted futurist, with the caveat that there has been a good bit of typological fulfillment.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

ditto
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

I voted Preterist (Surprise). I believe that God knows how to tell time :)
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
bluesman
Established Member

future camp?

Post by bluesman »

I believe I fall into this future camp.
I am a big watcher of Jack Van Impe every Sunday.

I believe a lot has been seen as far as signs and that the rapture could happen anytime.

I mean if it doesn't happen soon I won't throw out my bible.

I think its more important to just live my life as the best christian I can and
what happen happens.

Mike the Bluesman
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

Same as Sugaaa and (I guess) puritan lad -- partial preterism. Jesus is still going to return, to judge and to make a new world, but without Tribulation or anything you can read in Left Behind novels. :lol: (Yeah, I read them all...) But JP Holding is in favour of partial preterism, so I am too. :P

I agree with PL, but recently there was a theologian saying that Jesus's statement in Matthew 24:34 was a mistake and showed his human nature...
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by FFC »

I voted "other" because at this point I don't know :?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Swamper
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Swamper »

FFC wrote:I voted "other" because at this point I don't know :?
Same for me.
Jorge S
Acquainted Member

Post by Jorge S »

Historicist.

Matthew 24 and Revelation leave no doubt in my mind that Jesus meant His prophecy to start its fulfilment immediately after His Ascension and Enthronization. The Destruction of the Temple in 70 AD and the ulterior development of His Church until our times give Revelation a partial fulfilment in history.

Quite frankly, I'm only waiting for the Rapture! (by the way, I haven't exactly found in Revelation when it is going to occur.)
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

I'm with you Jorge... A historicist. I try not to get too hung up on it all... Much of it is most likely symbolic portrayals of Church History with pieces of the future mixed into it..

Regardless, it is mainly symbolic in my camp. You could pretty much slice and dice it into anything you want.. A real chef's salad... :wink:

G -
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

Convert to partial preterism! That way you can figure out what is what -- except the parts related to the Second Coming, it's all got to do with the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD! ;)
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I think I can respect full preterism far more than partial preterism, Turgonian. You partialists have to draw arbitrary lines as to what has been fulfilled and what hasn't. "It's all been fulfilled except . . ." and now insert your pet doctrine. It's taking a position, rejecting the implications, so not taking it to its logical conclusions ;)

Convert to futurism, then look at the beauty of typological fulfillment as consistent with the whole council of God! :lol:
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Your Position on Prophetic Interpretation in Revelations

Post by Silvertusk »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Some possible positions to take with regard to the interpretation of Prophesy, specifically within Revelation. Which one most closely describes yours?

Preterist: Belief that the Prophecies of Revelation have already been fulfilled.

Futurist: Belief that Revelation contains a forecast of universal History.

Historicist: Belief that the events of Revelation are symbolic portrayals of Church History from the New Testament until the end of the age.

Eclectic: (Idealist) Stresses the spiritual principles of Revelation and does not attempt to dogmatize regarding the details of the more mysterious elements of the book. This may sometimes include seeing both a near and a far element to prophesy.

I'm beginning to reread Revelation and taking a closer look in view of other discussions here. I'd be interested to see what the environment here is.
Personally I dont really care, as long as the bit about Jesus coming back in the future is true. Although I did enjoy the Left Behind Series and it was a nice idea.