Did a group of bishops remove certain portions of the bible?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

soulsolstice wrote:Jeramiah 8:8

How can you say, 'We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us'? But, behold, the false pen of the scribes has made it into a lie. (From the RSV Bible, Jeremiah 8:8)"
I understand Muslims use this verse a great deal against Judaism and Christianity, so perhaps your true colours are beginning to show more evidently? Yet, Jeremiah 8:8, if it is to be taken in the way you understand, would not in anyway add to your position that a group of bishops within the Church changed Scripture as Christianity was non-existent at the point this verse was written! This means, this verse has no impact on Old Testament Scripture post-Jeremiah, and additionally New Testament Scriptures. And therefore, this verse does not make your case any stronger that bishops changed portions of Scripture. Instead my defense stands strong in the absense of any credible reasons!

Now what of this verse Jeremiah 8:8? Firstly, lets read verse 7: "Even the stork in the sky knows her appointed seasons, and the dove, the swift and the thrush observe the time of their migration. But my people do not know the requirements of the LORD." It is infact never said that they do no possess the true untainted law, instead we are told the people know them! Thus Jeremiah is able to know in verse 8, that some were going against the law. Now let's read in a bit more context from verses 8-12:
<blockquote> 8 " 'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?
9 The wise will be put to shame; they will be dismayed and trapped. Since they have rejected the word of the LORD, what kind of wisdom do they have?
10 Therefore I will give their wives to other men and their fields to new owners. From the least to the greatest, all are greedy for gain; prophets and priests alike, all practice deceit.
11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. "Peace, peace," they say, when there is no peace.
12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD</blockquote>Now what are we told these scribes are actually doing? Verse 11 tells us the scribes are dressing the wound of God's people (Israel), telling them "peace, peace" when there is none. Within the larger context it can be clearly seen that the people are being told by scribes, priests and prophets that everything is alright. Although the law is not being kept, they are saying otherwise, and that there will be peace because God is still with His people. But note it never says their lying pens are altering the text of the Torah and making it into a lie! Rather, they are writing things that are false, and teaching them to the people.

To quote an article by Jochen Katz:
<blockquote>A scribe in that time wasn't so much a copyist as a teacher and expounder. These lying teachers are telling the people "peace, peace" although the true prophet tells them there is no peace and will be no peace. God has announced His judgment on Jerusalem for its idolatery and disobedience. The enemies are coming and God will NOT help. This verse has nothing to do with altering the books, it has to do with teaching false practices and giving false prophecies and saying these are based on the Lord's law. The law of God which clearly speaks of punishment for sin is disregarded and the people are told about the promises of God's goodness -- which are in the Law too, but each has its conditions.

Understanding Jeremiah 8:8 (recommend full read!)—</blockquote>In addition, I also recommend reading Jeremiah 8:8 and the Corruption of the Torah.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

Mastermind wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the catholic church didn't turn "evil" until about the 4th century. In addition, we still have the separated eastern church who likely backs up the current bible. As far as I know, te catholics added the Aporcypha to "amend" the Bible. At any rate, I don't see why God would allow his Word to be desecrated in this manner. We need to know what to do to be saved, don't we?
I believe it was when Constatine came into Power that the Catholic Church became the Roman Catholic Church! At this point the Roman Catholics selected the Books for the Bible.