Joel Osteen's annual church budget

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Joel Osteen's annual church budget

Post by Philip »

https://pjmedia.com/faith/joel-osteens- ... al-budget/

Obscene! There just is no shortage of gullible, Scripturally ignorant people.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: Joel Osteen's annual church budget

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Philip wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:45 am https://pjmedia.com/faith/joel-osteens- ... al-budget/

Obscene! There just is no shortage of gullible, Scripturally ignorant people.
This reminds me of that pastor with those jets.
Blessed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Blessed »

Envious much? I can't understand why people, especially other Christians, keep hating on this guy.

How many people would not have otherwise taken to church but for this guy? He has a unique style in his preaching. That's all. He wants to be positive and uplifting so people associate this with God/Christ and the gospel. Everyone has a different style. I am sure there is room for improvement. But there is no reason to hate on this guy.

His money is going to employees and other things.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Blessed wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:03 am Envious much? I can't understand why people, especially other Christians, keep hating on this guy.

How many people would not have otherwise taken to church but for this guy? He has a unique style in his preaching. That's all. He wants to be positive and uplifting so people associate this with God/Christ and the gospel. Everyone has a different style. I am sure there is room for improvement. But there is no reason to hate on this guy.

His money is going to employees and other things.
You seriously can't be this clueless, can you?

You really don't see a problem with what Joel Osteen is doing?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

If your style is self serving and reeks of greed then it’s doing a massive injustice to Christianity but more importantly to God.
So why can’t a church or the CEO of one profit immensely? Because it serves one master. You cannot serve both money and God.
If you’ve got enough left over to serve yourself so gratuitously then people will ask the necessary questions.
Greed and over indulgence is not Christian. Neither is profiting of the good will of others.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

melanie wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:37 am If your style is self serving and reeks of greed then it’s doing a massive injustice to Christianity but more importantly to God.
So why can’t a church or the CEO of one profit immensely? Because it serves one master. You cannot serve both money and God.
If you’ve got enough left over to serve yourself so gratuitously then people will ask the necessary questions.
Greed and over indulgence is not Christian. Neither is profiting of the good will of others.
Looks like Melanie agrees with me...

Looks like I need to re-evaluate my position on this. y:-?

:pound:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

With money, working for money, searching for money, having money, it is next to impossible to cut sideways through the worldly imposed structures of the time. The economics of the world are built around money, rather than people and moral virtues like goodness, love, brave, self-sacrifice and the like.

The question is, not what Osteen has, for we all exist within the world. I won't challenge his Christianity, yet money appears to be the worldly vines that are strangling him and preventing him from gaining so much more richness in the eternal things that matter.

We should compare our life with Christ's, Christ just cut sideways through to social structures of his day like a hot knife through butter. He wasn't about money, anything in the world (except us), he didn't worry what he'd eat or drink or wear, about getting a nice place to retire to. Christ even taught others not to be concerned about such things but to focus God. (Matthew 6:25) Christ cut through both social and deeply religious imposed structures in the world of his time -- to simply be about His Father's business.

Money, sadly is, a vine we all must deal with whether we have it, or we don't, it's unavoidable given our social economic structures. As Christians, we often become depressed when we're caught up in the world rather than about the One we have apparently given our lives to. At least, I know this personally and struggle being in the world with the right focus.

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2)

Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Fatherd is not in them. For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever. (1 John 2:15-17)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

Kurieuo wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:30 pm With money, working for money, searching for money, having money, it is next to impossible to cut sideways through the worldly imposed structures of the time. The economics of the world are built around money, rather than people and moral virtues like goodness, love, brave, self-sacrifice and the like.

The question is, not what Osteen has, for we all exist within the world. I won't challenge his Christianity, yet money appears to be the worldly vines that are strangling him and preventing him from gaining so much more richness in the eternal things that matter.

We should compare our life with Christ's, Christ just cut sideways through to social structures of his day like a hot knife through butter. He wasn't about money, anything in the world (except us), he didn't worry what he'd eat or drink or wear, about getting a nice place to retire to. Christ even taught others not to be concerned about such things but to focus God. (Matthew 6:25) Christ cut through both social and deeply religious imposed structures in the world of his time -- to simply be about His Father's business.

Money, sadly is, a vine we all must deal with whether we have it, or we don't, it's unavoidable given our social economic structures. As Christians, we often become depressed when we're caught up in the world rather than about the One we have apparently given our lives to. At least, I know this personally and struggle being in the world with the right focus.

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2)

Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Fatherd is not in them. For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever. (1 John 2:15-17)

It's unreasonable to expect people to willfully live as homeless paupers. Joel Osteens money allows him to get the word out. His money comes along with his ministry. I am not too much into the prosperity gospel but God does bless with money.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Was Jesus a homeless pauper? I think He was anything but such.

Would you say Osteen uses his money effectively to "get the word out", or is it more that "getting the word out" prospers Osteen? It seems to me that it has become more a tool to profit himself in this life. That's its main purpose.

Further, the Gospel isn't held behest to money. The Holy Spirit utilising willing vessels (i.e., Christians) is enough to get the Gospel to where it is needed. Men just think they're in control of such, with their gifted ability to draw in a crowd, fund-raising of money for ministries or the like. If self-serving lays beneath, the fall of such men often ends up being a quite steep one once their sins surface. Corruption can only hide for so long below before it surfaces.

Christians are blessed, but the way of Christian is one who is prepared to enjure persecution and suffering this life for Christ, rather than live their life in comfort and prosperity (which leads to complacency). The life of a Christian isn't to be focused upon temporary things that can be destroyed, but the eternal things that will remain. Scripture is clear God will test us to refine our faith, rather than wanting to give us everything on a silver platter in this life.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

Hmmm... y:-?

Joel Osteen Says Jesus Christ is Not the Only Way

Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

A while back, I genuinely prayed that I receive one million dollars within one week. Three days later, I got one of these in the mailbox.....

Ripped-off or what ? I'm sure there's a moral to this story :lol: .
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Praiz the lawd! It's a muricle!

-Edward R Murrow

LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

It was a setup ! Someone up there had a good laugh. Next time I'll pray for 10 million. See, I'm learning my lesson :-)

Then I can rub shoulders with the big boys in Christianity. Have champagne and caviar over at Joel's. Go to the Vatican and preach mysticism. I could be the next Pope !!! With more than 200 Bazzilion dollars, I could even, dare I say it, ........ save the world :shock:
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Here one for you Aussies...

in 2015 Hillsong Church rakes in $100m a year from its flock of 34,000

PDF of Annual Report Two Thousand & Fourteen,Hillsong Church, Australia see pages 51-53 link below

https://d9nqqwcssctr8.cloudfront.net/wp ... t14WEB.pdf

Not sure what Church and other Benevolent actives actually mean - should not these two be separated from each other ???

How much went to church and how much actually went out fro actual benevolent actives - anyone know?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

B. W. wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:56 am Here one for you Aussies...

in 2015 Hillsong Church rakes in $100m a year from its flock of 34,000

PDF of Annual Report Two Thousand & Fourteen,Hillsong Church, Australia see pages 51-53 link below

https://d9nqqwcssctr8.cloudfront.net/wp ... t14WEB.pdf

Not sure what Church and other Benevolent actives actually mean - should not these two be separated from each other ???

How much went to church and how much actually went out fro actual benevolent actives - anyone know?
-
-
-
Not too sure about Hillsong. Check this out about one of their videos:

Couldn't find the actual video on their channel. Maybe they took it down because of the backlash, or maybe you will have more luck finding it; but the guy doing the commentary on the video above does go through the song.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.