25 Years since Waco

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
LittleHamster
Valued Member
Christian: Yes

25 Years since Waco

Post by LittleHamster »

I just watched a doco about it on TV.

"No one was allowed to approach the prophet. The prophet has to approach you" said one former member.

Its a good thing there is no cult-like behavior on this forum :oops:
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: 25 Years since Waco

Post by Nessa »

LittleHamster wrote:I just watched a doco about it on TV.

"No one was allowed to approach the prophet. The prophet has to approach you" said one former member.

I dont know about that... are the mods a bit that way y:-?
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

Nessa wrote:

The mods ? lol, depends on how you would define 'cult' behavior i guess.

eg. too controlling over forum members ? aggressively arguing their version of truth ?
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

LittleHamster wrote:
Nessa wrote:

eg. too controlling over forum members ? aggressively arguing their version of truth ?
That was meant to be 'arent'.... and I was joking
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

Nessa wrote:
LittleHamster wrote:
Nessa wrote:

That was meant to be 'arent'.... and I was joking
No problemo. :) . I do often wonder what the separating factors are between a cult and a religion ? or are they the same? We can have cults or religions that can be viewed as acceptable/unacceptable, safe/dangerous, good/bad.
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

LittleHamster: too controlling over forum members?
Ah, you mean trying to keep the peace and not allowing people ONLY here to spam up the site with their non-Christian agenda or constantly and unnecessarily stirring up controversies to seed arguments? Guilty as charged!
Little Hamster: ... aggressively arguing their version of truth ?
Well, mods are people too, right? :P No, we're not by any means perfect - we've all made mistakes. But we all have strong opinions and unique insights, just like everyone else does. But if you're paying attention, we mods don't always agree on every point of theology, politics, creation-related issues, etc. The ONLY thing we agree on is that God's inspired His Word to His prophets and apostles, and that it is true (that is, SOMEHOW - as we don't always understand exactly how it went down). And we certainly are quite tolerant of opposing viewpoints - even agnostic and atheist ones - AS LONG AS people are civil, polite, and not here merely to constantly spew their anti-Christian / anti-Bible agenda. Troublemakers won't last long around here. But those civil, no matter if they disagree with our contentions and beliefs, are certainly welcome here. Without us, the site would just be one more internet forum of nastiness, rancor and ill will.
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

Philip wrote:
LittleHamster: too controlling over forum members?
Ah, you mean trying to keep the peace and not allowing people ONLY here to spam up the site with their non-Christian agenda or constantly and unnecessarily stirring up controversies to seed arguments? Guilty as charged!
Little Hamster: ... aggressively arguing their version of truth ?
Well, mods are people too, right? :P No, we're not by any means perfect - we've all made mistakes. But we all have strong opinions and unique insights, just like everyone else does. But if you're paying attention, we mods don't always agree on every point of theology, politics, creation-related issues, etc. The ONLY thing we agree on is that God's inspired His Word to His prophets and apostles, and that it is true (that is, SOMEHOW - as we don't always understand exactly how it went down). And we certainly are quite tolerant of opposing viewpoints - even agnostic and atheist ones - AS LONG AS people are civil, polite, and not here merely to constantly spew their anti-Christian / anti-Bible agenda. Troublemakers won't last long around here. But those civil, no matter if they disagree with our contentions and beliefs, are certainly welcome here. Without us, the site would just be one more internet forum of nastiness, rancor and ill will.
Well pointed out Phillip. I don't think we were being serious about the Mod's cult behavior :) Although it can be a sensitive issue for many. Sorry to anyone out there that had bad experiences with cults.

edit: Here are some warning signs that you are entering a bad cult:

(i) The cult takes all your money and possessions and you are left with a mattress and some cans of baked beans.
(ii) The cult cuts you off from family and friends and the rest of society.
(iii) The central figure(s) in the cult must be worshiped since their version of truth is the 'correct' one.
(iv) The central figure(s) in the cult conduct unusual and illegal sexual behavior usually to satisfy their perverted desires.
(v) The cult has special contingency plans for when law-enforcement arrives - usually in the form of mass suicide or total destruction
(vi) The cult continually tells you that "the end is near","the end is near","the end is near","the end is near" thus inducing and element of fear in its members, thus removing all sense of hope, individuality, freedom, independance. At this point, the members are now totally controlled, brainwashed, "will-less" slaves.
(vii) The cult has a compound where they feel 'safe'.
(viii) There is usually a huge stash of non-perishable food somewhere in the cult's compound.
(vix) The central figure(s) in the cult believe that their version of truth allows them to bypass and/or break the law of the land in which they live.

did I miss anything ?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Sounds like many churches. Sadly.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Certain churches will also use this method where they misinterpret ideas like evolution and then say you can't accept an old universe/evolution and be a Christian. If you speak out against it they get concerned, or at least there are vibes of that.
SDA was heavy with this through the writings of Ellen White who said that due to her visions and interpretation of scripture that universe is 6000 years old and you have to believe it bc it's in the Bible. I never went to SDA churches but I got lots of their papers n stuff thru my mom's side. Much of what they say is true as well.
Not to mention I'm surrounded by conservatives who often think this way, and so while Ik otherwise now I thought I had to be a YEC to be a Christian, and any who said earth is older than 6000 years weren't Christian-like. But my personal instance is mild compared to many, and a lot of it is due to misinterpretation or being mislead by bad evidence by good people.
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

The Hale Bop Comet Cult .. Remeber that one?

(Kauriuro is this comment Goldfish friendly? Thanks)
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

Blessed wrote:The Hale Bop Comet Cult .. Remeber that one?
Have a look.....
3453453.jpg
3453453.jpg (19.99 KiB) Viewed 10008 times
"Davis attributes Applewhite's success in convincing his followers to commit suicide to two factors: he isolated them socially and cultivated an attitude of complete religious obedience in them."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Applewhite

or how about .......
34535656565.jpg
34535656565.jpg (14.83 KiB) Viewed 10004 times
"Later that same day, 909 inhabitants of Jonestown,[89] 304 of them children, died of apparent cyanide poisoning, mostly in and around the settlement's main pavilion"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Who's Kauriuro?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:

Who's Kauriuro?
I think he means you Kurieuo. Get him back by calling him "Blasseussud".
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
claysmithr
Valued Member

Post by claysmithr »

LittleHamster wrote:
Have a look.....
3453453.jpg
"Davis attributes Applewhite's success in convincing his followers to commit suicide to two factors: he isolated them socially and cultivated an attitude of complete religious obedience in them."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Applewhite

or how about .......
34535656565.jpg
"Later that same day, 909 inhabitants of Jonestown,[89] 304 of them children, died of apparent cyanide poisoning, mostly in and around the settlement's main pavilion"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones

He looks possessed...
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Actually, in the photo, Applewhite looks like one of the aliens on the bridge viewing screen on the original Star Trek.