Are the SDA a cult or just heterodox?

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Are the SDA a cult or just heterodox?

Post by BavarianWheels »

LittleHamster wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:16 am
BavarianWheels wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:04 pm
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:I don't want to fling mud,........
It's been quite some time since I've been on this forum...a few years maybe?

I'm open to attempt to answer any questions you all may have.
Wow, I just found this thread and now realize what all the fuss was about :-) I'm learning about the SDA !

I have some questions for Bavarian (but these are more personal questions rather than doctrinal).

Were you brought up in the SDA as a child ? If not, how did you get involved with the SDA ? Why do you follow your particular religious denomination over the many other ones ? Is it because friends and family are involved? Is it because that from what you read and understand about the teachings that this is the better church to be in ? Have you been born again ? Have you received the Holy Spirit ? Have you received any supernatural signs from above which may indicate you are on the right track ?

BTW, You don't need to answer these if you feel the questions are too personal.
I'm glad to answer any question you have, though I don't always have PROOF for everything "Adventist" as I don't hold to ALL "Adventist" beliefs...especially since most are what people THINK Adventists believe.

I grew up Adventist. My parents were both Adventists, but their parents converted from Catholicism.

Of course I have my friends and family that are involved...though I have many friends of differing Christian denominations.

I stick with Adventism for 2 reasons:

1. I believe the Sabbath is still part of the Decalogue and is binding in the sense that the law makes us AWARE of sin.

2. The stand Adventists hold on the Immortality of the Soul. We do not believe the soul is immortal and "survives" death. The soul is exactly what the bible explains it to be in Genesis. Dirt + Breath = a living being/soul. Prove that a wrong reading and I'll seriously think about changing my mind.

The rest of my beliefs, I think, mend well into mainstream Christianity.

I have been born again.

Have I received the HS? That question gives me visions of Pentecostal beliefs of speaking in tongues to prove having received the HS etc. No, I don't speak in tongues and I don't have any special encounter that leads me to believe I have received the HS in any ethereal manner. I have what my heart tells me and I have peace. I believe THAT to be the indwelling of the HS.

Supernatural signs...I believe God has blessed me and my life, my family. I have prayed for certain situations and at times, my prayers have been answered to my satisfaction. I've also prayed in other situations and not received what I wanted, but that hasn't lead me to believe it's because I'm on a wrong path. I've not experienced a burning bush, nor a parting of waters, etc. My life is blessed despite my stubbornness now and in the past. I was out of the church for a few years and I believe I was lead back to my Church, even though I enjoyed other, more progressive denominations on that journey back.
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

BavarianWheels wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:51 am
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
I have been born again.
Yay! That's the one that matters. Welcome to eternal life :-)
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

LittleHamster wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:40 pm Yay! That's the one that matters. Welcome to eternal life :-)
:wave:
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

BavarianWheels wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:51 am
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:I don't want to fling mud,........
It's been quite some time since I've been on this forum...a few years maybe?

I'm open to attempt to answer any questions you all may have.
Wow, I just found this thread and now realize what all the fuss was about :-) I'm learning about the SDA !

I have some questions for Bavarian (but these are more personal questions rather than doctrinal).

Were you brought up in the SDA as a child ? If not, how did you get involved with the SDA ? Why do you follow your particular religious denomination over the many other ones ? Is it because friends and family are involved? Is it because that from what you read and understand about the teachings that this is the better church to be in ? Have you been born again ? Have you received the Holy Spirit ? Have you received any supernatural signs from above which may indicate you are on the right track ?

BTW, You don't need to answer these if you feel the questions are too personal.
I'm glad to answer any question you have, though I don't always have PROOF for everything "Adventist" as I don't hold to ALL "Adventist" beliefs...especially since most are what people THINK Adventists believe.

I grew up Adventist. My parents were both Adventists, but their parents converted from Catholicism.

Of course I have my friends and family that are involved...though I have many friends of differing Christian denominations.

I stick with Adventism for 2 reasons:

1. I believe the Sabbath is still part of the Decalogue and is binding in the sense that the law makes us AWARE of sin.

2. The stand Adventists hold on the Immortality of the Soul. We do not believe the soul is immortal and "survives" death. The soul is exactly what the bible explains it to be in Genesis. Dirt + Breath = a living being/soul. Prove that a wrong reading and I'll seriously think about changing my mind.

The rest of my beliefs, I think, mend well into mainstream Christianity.

I have been born again.

Have I received the HS? That question gives me visions of Pentecostal beliefs of speaking in tongues to prove having received the HS etc. No, I don't speak in tongues and I don't have any special encounter that leads me to believe I have received the HS in any ethereal manner. I have what my heart tells me and I have peace. I believe THAT to be the indwelling of the HS.

Supernatural signs...I believe God has blessed me and my life, my family. I have prayed for certain situations and at times, my prayers have been answered to my satisfaction. I've also prayed in other situations and not received what I wanted, but that hasn't lead me to believe it's because I'm on a wrong path. I've not experienced a burning bush, nor a parting of waters, etc. My life is blessed despite my stubbornness now and in the past. I was out of the church for a few years and I believe I was lead back to my Church, even though I enjoyed other, more progressive denominations on that journey back.

It has been a long time since I've been to a SDA church and I was wondering if the pastors still preach parable style? Like in most churches the pastor just preaches from the pulpit but SDA's actually tell a story and through the story you get the message,kinda like a parable.It was always a Christian/bible based story.Is this how the SDA church still preach?
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

abelcainsbrother wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 6:15 pm It has been a long time since I've been to a SDA church and I was wondering if the pastors still preach parable style? Like in most churches the pastor just preaches from the pulpit but SDA's actually tell a story and through the story you get the message,kinda like a parable.It was always a Christian/bible based story.Is this how the SDA church still preach?
There are certainly pastors that are better than others. Some preach gospel style, some preach a more living-as-Christians style, or even a few "hell-fire and brimstone" preachers. I wouldn't say they each choose a style and stick with it, but I would say some tend to me more of one or the other. We have liberal pastors and we have conservative pastors. We have a mix. One church will be more conservative and another will be very open and accepting of...jewelry, tattoos, relaxed clothing, etc. One will clap after music specials or during praise service and another will have song service with someone directing the congregation and/or frown on clapping. There's a huge mix of styles in the SDA community of churches. Going to one doesn't necessarily give you THE "SDA Experience".