Does Kent Hovind believe what he preach?

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Does Kent Hovind believe what he preach?

Post by RickD »

Kent Hovind is my hero. Seriously. Anyone who can be such a complete and utter buffoon, and then go to jail for his buffoonery, and continue to blame everyone but himself, is one who I'd like to emulate.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

https://tcip.org.au/2016/09/11/kent-hov ... ictor-tey/
He's getting (or is now) married again.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

RickD wrote:Kent Hovind is my hero. Seriously. Anyone who can be such a complete and utter buffoon, and then go to jail for his buffoonery, and continue to blame everyone but himself, is one who I'd like to emulate.
Did u go to clown school by any chance?
yorican67
Acquainted Member

Post by yorican67 »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote: Apparently the IRS Commisoner has apologized for arresting him and others. http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/hovind.php
From what I read it was a blanket apology, not specifically addressed to Kent Hovind himself. I went to a few other websites to verify a few points mentioned in the article you linked. It stated that Kent Hovind had only been arrested for structuring, but failed to mentioned he had structured over $400,000 dollars in a span of about four years, at a rate of just under $10,000 every 12 days. Hovind then went on to claim he never knew what the term "structuring" meant. Basically he just played ignorant of the fact he was depositing just under the Federal limit.

Here's a compete list of charges laid against Kent Hovind:
Interfering with the administration of the IRS
Failure to pay payroll taxes on his employees, refereed to as missionaries
The systematic withdrawal of cash in amounts somewhat less than $10,000

Hovind did appeal to the Eleventh Circuit Court, but his conviction and sentence were upheld. I also read he and his wife failed to file their 1040s, along with their quarterly payroll tax returns. I can see why all the confusion on his conviction. If he would have just honored the Lord in giving unto Caesar what was Caesar's, then none of this would have happened. Upfront what he was doing was perfectly legal, yet his actions and failure to be complicit with the IRS seems to have put him under the micro scope. From what I can tell the laws concerning structuring were meant to prevent the very thing Kent Hovind was doing.

Thanks for the article!
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

yorican67 wrote:
thatkidakayoungguy wrote: Apparently the IRS Commisoner has apologized for arresting him and others. http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/hovind.php
From what I read it was a blanket apology, not specifically addressed to Kent Hovind himself. I went to a few other websites to verify a few points mentioned in the article you linked. It stated that Kent Hovind had only been arrested for structuring, but failed to mentioned he had structured over $400,000 dollars in a span of about four years, at a rate of just under $10,000 every 12 days. Hovind then went on to claim he never knew what the term "structuring" meant. Basically he just played ignorant of the fact he was depositing just under the Federal limit.

Here's a compete list of charges laid against Kent Hovind:
Interfering with the administration of the IRS
Failure to pay payroll taxes on his employees, refereed to as missionaries
The systematic withdrawal of cash in amounts somewhat less than $10,000

Hovind did appeal to the Eleventh Circuit Court, but his conviction and sentence were upheld. I also read he and his wife failed to file their 1040s, along with their quarterly payroll tax returns. I can see why all the confusion on his conviction. If he would have just honored the Lord in giving unto Caesar what was Caesar's, then none of this would have happened. Upfront what he was doing was perfectly legal, yet his actions and failure to be complicit with the IRS seems to have put him under the micro scope. From what I can tell the laws concerning structuring were meant to prevent the very thing Kent Hovind was doing.

Thanks for the article!
I can't blame some people though for failing to file this and that. It's so complicated, so many things. They never had this in Roman times.
yorican67
Acquainted Member

Post by yorican67 »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote: I can't blame some people though for failing to file this and that. It's so complicated, so many things. They never had this in Roman times.
I think in Roman times they'd just pay you visit and made an offer you couldn't refuse. Kent wasn't convicted for not filing his 1040's, at least not that I know of...
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Why did Kent's creation ministries often support half baked facts and leaps in logic? Some of his stuff is sound though, more so not regarding sciency stuff.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Another con was with secular Humanists taking advantage of such nonsense and redefining Christian "Fundamentalism" as something akin Islamic Fundamentalism. Foundationally, the doctrine of one set of beliefs lends itself to violence after it's military prophet, whereas "fundamental" doctrine in the other entirely different as you noted.

Etymologically, "fundamentalist" appears to have evolved into a perception of "stupid" beliefs people believe in joined to an often accepted proposition that "religion leads to violence". Theologically, and traditionally, a "fundamentalist" perhaps had no such stigmas. For example, I'm a Fundamentalist Evangelical Christian, however -- what this actually means to me and would portray to others today would no doubt be quite misleading as to who I am and even what I believe.

Again, I might be wrong in my analysis here, but this too seems about right given my own experiences with people, what gets published online, the media and as someone who'd identify as just such a Christian.
No I agree with you, I've noticed the same. The sad thing is they're partly right: many fundamentalists (WBC for instance) and Christian conservatives (KKK for one) give the rest a bad name.
Fundamelislist Christian groups are quite dangerous!! Thank God they don't represent Christianity as a whole..... Hmmmm Wahabbism and Salafism are the Islam equivalent but that brand of crazy is funded by the wealthiest Middle Eastern country to the tune of billions. Saudi Arabia. But let's shake their hands and sign off on the biggest arms deal in modern history......... Ching Ching to the billions.
We stand against terrorism ..... Whilst subjecting our men to the frontline so we can finance the biggest terrorist state in history.
Why aren't we winning the war y#-o y#-o
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Melanie, I'm a Fundamentalist Christian, where does that place me?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:Melanie, I'm a Fundamentalist Christian, where does that place me?
Fundamentalist Christians are ok. She said, "Fundamelislist" Christians are dangerous.
:D
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Melanie, I'm a Fundamentalist Christian, where does that place me?
Fundamentalist Christians are ok. She said, "Fundamelislist" Christians are dangerous.
Oh, sorry misread that. :oops:

PS. Welcome back Mel (don't be too hard on yourself you "fundaMELislist").
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
RickD wrote:
Oh, sorry misread that. :oops:

PS. Welcome back Mel (don't be too hard on yourself you "fundaMELislist").
I think "Fundamentalist" becomes, "Fundamelislist", after a little too much wine. :lol:

-Edward R Murrow

jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
RickD wrote:Kent Hovind is my hero. Seriously. Anyone who can be such a complete and utter buffoon, and then go to jail for his buffoonery, and continue to blame everyone but himself, is one who I'd like to emulate.
Did u go to clown school by any chance?
i dont think he went to clown school. i think he may have invented it, though. :P
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

I dont think its fair or accurate to label fundamentalist groups as 'dangerous'.

Almost anything can be potentially dangerous as is making blanket statements.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

He has brought many people to the Lord, what have you done?

How is he a complete and utter buffoon?
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.