False Prophet

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

False Prophet

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

http://www.traditionalcatholicpriest.co ... e-prophet/
Byblos and other Catholics (others can post too), what do you think about this?
BigHamster
Recognized Member

Re: False Prophet

Post by BigHamster »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:http://www.traditionalcatholicpriest.co ... e-prophet/
Byblos and other Catholics (others can post too), what do you think about this?
Do you really think the pope (and hierarchy) are influenced by the Holy Spirit or are they just following some version of theological understanding?

One disadvantage of organised religion is that some priests simply climb the ladder based on intellectual theological accomplishments.

In earlier times, people were appointed to the priesthood if/when they received the holy spirit (or 'get the calling' at least). Jesus gave the keys to Peter and so it progressed until "the keys", via apostilic succession, ended up with the current pope. I reckon somethin' got lost along the way.

Then there are the monks in certain remote christian orthodox monasteries. Monks are appointed to various positions based on the amount of Charisma** they possess. Modern day charismatic priests seem to draw quite a crowd too !

** Don't bother trying to define Charisma.
Last edited by BigHamster on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.
BigHamster
Recognized Member

Post by BigHamster »

Speaking of prophets, I just saw a movie about this prophet....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Jeffs

Looks like he was a victim of his own version of doctrine.

He got Life + 20 years.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

BigHamster wrote:Speaking of prophets, I just saw a movie about this prophet....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Jeffs

He got Life + 20 years.
y:O2
What I wonder is why someone would want so many wives? One is by far enough.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
BigHamster
Recognized Member

Post by BigHamster »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
BigHamster wrote:Speaking of prophets, I just saw a movie about this prophet....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Jeffs

He got Life + 20 years.
You live in a remote village where females outnumber males 10:1 ?
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

BigHamster wrote:
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:

He got Life + 20 years.
You live in a remote village where females outnumber males 10:1 ?

No but couldn't he get women elsewhere, for himself and the others. I do live in a remote (almost) place but not a village, just a neighborhood near the boonies.
BigHamster
Recognized Member

Post by BigHamster »

Can anyone please answer the "why is it ok or not ok to have many wives ?" question. (with the odd reference to scripture if possible).

To me the answer's obvious. But I'm too lazy to look at bible atm.
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

BigHamster wrote:One disadvantage of organised religion is that some priests simply climb the ladder based on intellectual theological accomplishments.
How is this bad?
BigHamster wrote: In earlier times, people were appointed to the priesthood if/when they received the holy spirit (or 'get the calling' at least). Jesus gave the keys to Peter and so it progressed until "the keys", via apostilic succession, ended up with the current pope. I reckon somethin' got lost along the way.
Lol, do I smell Pentecostalism...

How do you know when does one receive the HS? What are the signs? Speaking in tongues? -_-*
What do you mean by get the calling? I do not know what is your opinion on the Catholic priests, but they do not end up being one if they did not believe that or heard at least some sort of calling.

And yeah, they believe the Church and the Pope is led by the Holy Spirit.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

BigHamster wrote:Can anyone please answer the "why is it ok or not ok to have many wives ?" question. (with the odd reference to scripture if possible).

Genesis 2:24
Ephesians 5:31

Anything other than one spouse until death, is short of the ideal that God wants for us.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
BigHamster
Recognized Member

Post by BigHamster »

IceMobster wrote:
BigHamster wrote:One disadvantage of organised religion is that some priests simply climb the ladder based on intellectual theological accomplishments.
How is this bad?
BigHamster wrote: In earlier times, people were appointed to the priesthood if/when they received the holy spirit (or 'get the calling' at least). Jesus gave the keys to Peter and so it progressed until "the keys", via apostilic succession, ended up with the current pope. I reckon somethin' got lost along the way.
Lol, do I smell Pentecostalism...

How do you know when does one receive the HS? What are the signs? Speaking in tongues? -_-*
What do you mean by get the calling? I do not know what is your opinion on the Catholic priests, but they do not end up being one if they did not believe that or heard at least some sort of calling.

And yeah, they believe the Church and the Pope is led by the Holy Spirit.

In replying to the original post. i.e. false prophets - why some of the doctrine preached by the Catholic church may seem false or heretical. I gave the reasons, i.e. priests caught up purely in intellectual pursuits and (ii) those not guided by the holy spirit or not receiving a calling to the church. You must agree, at least, that some people join the church for other (sometimes nefarious) reasons and that there are those that are driven purely by self-serving, intellectual pursuits. These will lead to only a superficial (and sometimes incorrect) understanding of doctrine. There is something in scripture about receiving a reward for service -> the reword for service is more service (not self-service) and another thing about the true teachings of scripture being hidden from the learned.

I hope this is a bit clearer. As to your other questions....How do you know if someone is guided by or has received the HS or got that calling? By their works** for one. It would be nice to start another topic on that subject.

** works can mean many things
BigHamster
Recognized Member

Post by BigHamster »

RickD wrote:
BigHamster wrote:Can anyone please answer the "why is it ok or not ok to have many wives ?" question. (with the odd reference to scripture if possible).

Anything other than one spouse until death, is short of the ideal that God wants for us.

I like Mark 10:8

"....and the two will become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

RickD wrote:

Why did God allow polygamy? I hear bc it was to support women in that time, which makes sense. What do y'all say?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Polygamy was tolerated because:
a) it was culturally pre-existing to Israel.
b) it serves a purpose for the culture of the time ( men tended to be killed off with wars and such so multiple wives to a man made sense).
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

If one owns a business, and makes a huge profit at year's end, only to lose all the money in taxes, is that a false profit?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony