Pope Francis: “Koran And Holy Bible Are The Same"

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Pope Francis: “Koran And Holy Bible Are The Same"

Post by Stu »

Curious as to what the Roman Catholic members make of the Pope's latest comments. Seems he's in favour of Chrislam now.
Pope Francis To Followers: “Koran And Holy Bible Are The Same”
On Monday the Bishop Of Rome addressed Catholic followers regarding the dire importance of exhibiting religious tolerance. During his hour-long speech, a smiling Pope Francis was quoted telling the Vatican’s guests that the Koran, and the spiritual teachings contained therein, are just as valid as the Holy Bible.

“Jesus Christ, Mohammed, Jehovah, Allah. These are all names employed to describe an entity that is distinctly the same across the world. For centuries, blood has been needlessly shed because of the desire to segregate our faiths. This, however, should be the very concept which unites us as people, as nations, and as a world bound by faith. Together, we can bring about an unprecedented age of peace, all we need to achieve such a state is respect each others beliefs, for we are all children of God regardless of the name we choose to address him by. We can accomplish miraculous things in the world by merging our faiths, and the time for such a movement is now. No longer shall we slaughter our neighbors over differences in reference to their God.”

The pontiff drew harsh criticisms in December after photos of the 78-year-old Catholic leader was released depicting Pope Francis kissing a Koran. The Muslim Holy Book was given to Francis during a meeting with Muslim leaders after a lengthy Muslim prayer held at the Vatican.

St. John Paul II has courted several controversies since being elected as Pope Benedicto XVI’s replacement in 2013. Francis has gone on record to say that homosexuals are not to be judged, Proselytism is nonsense and has endorsed the usage of contraceptive by Catholics.

The Vatican will meet again with Muslim leaders in late February where they plan to talk about further steps that can be taken to spread understanding and awareness of the Islamic religion.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Pope Francis: “Koran And Holy Bible Are The Same"

Post by RickD »

Anyone have a link to the speech, so we can have proper context of what he actually said?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

That was probably one of the dumbest things I have ever read coming from a Pope.
First off, Mohammed is NOT a deity, he was simply a prophet, so to suggest that his is one of the "all names employed to describe an entity that is distinctly the same across the world", is not only wrong, but stupid and obviously shows he has not read to Koran or knows anything about Islam.

Second, the Koran has passages that condone, even recommend, killing infidels AND has passages that, to put it mildly, put Christ in a bad light.
To say they are valid is, well, shocking to say the least.

Seems that this Pope is falling into the danger of believing and not understanding the very real dangers of "the ends justify the means".

He wants peace and tolerance but does not seem to grasp the very real and obvious fact that ALL parties must want peace and tolerance.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

PaulSacramento wrote:That was probably one of the dumbest things I have ever read coming from a Pope.
First off, Mohammed is NOT a deity, he was simply a prophet, so to suggest that his is one of the "all names employed to describe an entity that is distinctly the same across the world", is not only wrong, but stupid and obviously shows he has not read to Koran or knows anything about Islam.

Second, the Koran has passages that condone, even recommend, killing infidels AND has passages that, to put it mildly, put Christ in a bad light.
To say they are valid is, well, shocking to say the least.

Seems that this Pope is falling into the danger of believing and not understanding the very real dangers of "the ends justify the means".

He wants peace and tolerance but does not seem to grasp the very real and obvious fact that ALL parties must want peace and tolerance.
Paul haven't you learned your lesson yet? :shakehead:

The only place this so-called article is on the National Report, which is a satire website with the pictures of Ted Cruze and Sarah Palin on the front page. I only have to quote their disclaimer:
Disclaimer
National Report is a news and political satire web publication, which may or may not use real names, often in semi-real or mostly fictitious ways. All news articles contained within National Report are fiction, and presumably fake news. Any resemblance to the truth is purely coincidental. Advice given is NOT to be construed as professional. If you are in need of professional help, please consult a professional. National Report is not intended for children under the age of 18.
Disclaimer
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Thanks Byblos.

:D
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

Stupid National Report :evil:
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

You'd think I would know better by now...
Sheesh !!
* walks away, kicks can, slaps baby and shaves puppy*
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:You'd think I would know better by now...
Sheesh !!
With all your "Catholic bashing", the only fair thing for you to do would be to convert to Catholicism. It's the least you could do to make it up to them. :samen:

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
Sheesh !!
With all your "Catholic bashing", the only fair thing for you to do would be to convert to Catholicism. It's the least you could do to make it up to them. :samen:
You just want me to punish them by joining them.
:horseman:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:
Sheesh !!
You just want me to punish them by joining them.
:horseman:
Darn! You caught on to my plan. :twisted: :pound:

-Edward R Murrow

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Stu wrote:Curious as to what the Roman Catholic members make of the Pope's latest comments. Seems he's in favour of Chrislam now.
Pope Francis To Followers: “Koran And Holy Bible Are The Same”
On Monday the Bishop Of Rome addressed Catholic followers regarding the dire importance of exhibiting religious tolerance. During his hour-long speech, a smiling Pope Francis was quoted telling the Vatican’s guests that the Koran, and the spiritual teachings contained therein, are just as valid as the Holy Bible.

“Jesus Christ, Mohammed, Jehovah, Allah. These are all names employed to describe an entity that is distinctly the same across the world. For centuries, blood has been needlessly shed because of the desire to segregate our faiths. This, however, should be the very concept which unites us as people, as nations, and as a world bound by faith. Together, we can bring about an unprecedented age of peace, all we need to achieve such a state is respect each others beliefs, for we are all children of God regardless of the name we choose to address him by. We can accomplish miraculous things in the world by merging our faiths, and the time for such a movement is now. No longer shall we slaughter our neighbors over differences in reference to their God.”

The pontiff drew harsh criticisms in December after photos of the 78-year-old Catholic leader was released depicting Pope Francis kissing a Koran. The Muslim Holy Book was given to Francis during a meeting with Muslim leaders after a lengthy Muslim prayer held at the Vatican.

St. John Paul II has courted several controversies since being elected as Pope Benedicto XVI’s replacement in 2013. Francis has gone on record to say that homosexuals are not to be judged, Proselytism is nonsense and has endorsed the usage of contraceptive by Catholics.

The Vatican will meet again with Muslim leaders in late February where they plan to talk about further steps that can be taken to spread understanding and awareness of the Islamic religion.
Mohammed was and isn't even thought to be God incarnate or an avatar. Just a prophet.
Also my question fits in well with this: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 16#p220834
Ecclesiastes12
Acquainted Member

Post by Ecclesiastes12 »

Just to let you know, this was proven to be a hoax. http://www.snopes.com/religious-replicates/