Any questions about JWs I will answer it

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Any questions about JWs I will answer it

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:So, we are coming up on the JW's Memeorial.
This is the JW verision of The Lord's Supper, where they remember our Lord's commandment to "eat this for this is my bod, drink this for this is my blood".
Of course, where as in the rest of Christianity anyone that wishes to partake can, in the JW's only the annointed can, while everyone else just looks on.
The plate with the bread and wine is passed around the whole congregation and people just look at it ( and typically pray) but do not partake.

It is a sad and very depressing experience to be honest and I will be there with my mom ( biting my lip not to say something) as I have been since my Dad got sick and this will be the first memorial since his death last year April 12th.
It's gonna be tougher than usual for both of us, but I have to be there for her.

It breaks my heart to see this event, add to that they don't even celebrate the resurrection, seeing the memorial as more important than the resurrection.
You Canadians have weird religious customs. :mrgreen:

All kidding aside, It probably means a lot to your Mom. You can feel better knowing you are there with her for support.
Yeah, that's why I am doing it.
Real depressing though...
Is it depressing because of the ritual, or because it brings back memories of your Dad?

Since my mom passed away in May of last year, I have random reminders of her that are quite depressing. At the time when she died, my sister was an emotional mess, but it didn't me too hard. I don't like that. I feel like I may be subconsciously suppressing my emotions. Same thing happened when my dad died 5 years ago. I told myself I was holding myself together for my mom and sister.

With that being said, maybe going will help you, not just your Mom.
Not because of my Dad, because of the ritual.
How only the "annotated" are allowed, even though there is no restrictions in the NT.
Everyone just sits there watching the "special ones" partake because Christ died only for them ( the anointed).
No speaks of His resurrection, they just mention how only the anointed have a chance to go to heaven and so forth.

I just hate rituals that fly in the face of explicit biblical testimony.

The body and blood of Christ is for ALL believers, for all those that put their faith in Him.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

It is the one thing that drives me the most crazy about the JW religion, how they downplay the resurrection.
Boggles the mind.

As Paul said, "If Christ was not raised from the dead, we preach a false Gospel".

Now if Christ is preached, that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, not even Christ has been raised; 14 and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain. 15 Moreover we are even found to be false witnesses of God, because we testified against God that He raised Christ, whom He did not raise, if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised; 17 and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19 If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied.
Paul didn't say "if there was no Lord's supper" or anything like that.

AL of Christianity, our Salvation, hinges on ONE single event:
The resurrection.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Their "jesus" isn't even God. He's Michael the archangel. The resurrection is pretty irrelevant when they're worshiping a false jesus.

Maybe you shouldn't go to the Memorial. Either that, or when they are doing the ritual, stand up and start reading resurrection passages from the bible. See how long it takes before they forcibly remove you.(you can use your martial arts). Just think of it as a good way to keep up your training.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:Their "jesus" isn't even God. He's Michael the archangel. The resurrection is pretty irrelevant when they're worshiping a false jesus.

Maybe you shouldn't go to the Memorial. Either that, or when they are doing the ritual, stand up and start reading resurrection passages from the bible. See how long it takes before they forcibly remove you.(you can use your martial arts). Just think of it as a good way to keep up your training.
LMAO !

Thanks dude, I needed that.
You're a good friend.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:Their "jesus" isn't even God. He's Michael the archangel. The resurrection is pretty irrelevant when they're worshiping a false jesus.

LMAO !

Thanks dude, I needed that.
You're a good friend.
Hey, I just try to give real world, practical advice. ;)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Rob
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Rob »

You should take the communion, man! See what they say! Maybe they'll fly you out to Brooklyn with the other elect.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Rob wrote:You should take the communion, man! See what they say! Maybe they'll fly you out to Brooklyn with the other elect.
LMAO !
Maybe dude, maybe.
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

About 900 JW's die every year due to refusing a blood transfusion......

http://www.krev.info/library/pocetumrti.pdf.

Recently, a pregnant woman refused a blood transfusion resulting in the woman and baby dying. Sad.

I hope there are no 'JW Hospitals' in existence.
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

The 144,000

Why it's preached. How it's mathmatically possible.

144,000 of the Trillions of human beings which have existed on this planet (only God knows where else considering the evidence provided by the Hubble space telescope) and the universe, are going to heaven, and everyone else is going to hell...

Why is this presented at door visits when it's so so discouraging.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Blessed wrote:The 144,000

Why it's preached. How it's mathmatically possible.

144,000 of the Trillions of human beings which have existed on this planet (only God knows where else considering the evidence provided by the Hubble space telescope) and the universe, are going to heaven, and everyone else is going to hell...

Why is this presented at door visits when it's so so discouraging.
12000 from the 12 tribes.

It's a metaphorical number that is analogous to the choosing of the 12 from the 12 tribes of Israel by Joshua.

For the JW's it means that ONLY those 144K will be in Heaven while the rest of the JW's will NOT be in hell but have paradise on Earth.
It is a doctrine that contrasts the heavenly promise to the anointed with the earthly promise to the faithful.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Just like similar numbers in Revelation 21:14-16 with the 12 Apostles of the Lamb being the foundations of the kingdom, which is 12,000 furlongs and the walls of which are 144 cubits. Clearly such numbers are symbolic of the whole kingdom rather than to be literally understood as x amount.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

How do you convince someone to accept Christ who was raised JW and rebelled against it?

She is a self proclaimed agnostic. She has very negative feelings about religion. She has a fundamental misunderstanding of the fall of man and God's nature. I don't know how to respond to her. She says things like:

1) God knew humans would fall. He allowed it.
2) God gives us desires then sends us to hell for acting on those desires.
3) God demands worship by compelling worship with force (threat of hell).
4) "If someone was getting attacked and you were a cop in a position of authority and yet did nothing but watch"
5) "Stop blaming sin for your choices"
6) "If I don't follow the (Gods) rules I go to hell that's conditional love"
7) "I don't need saving babe"

I am the only person she trusts and opens up to who can get through to her and I don't know how. I feel like her fate lies in my hands on this. I don't know what to do.

She talks a mile a minute jumping from one subject to the next and I cannot get a word in. This is why I won't be in ministry. A persons fate rests upon your ability to open their eyes to help them see the truth. It's a big responsibility. If I fail, its my fault. I don't want that kind of risk.

She is jaded from being raised a JW.

In the past I did good one-on-one. I made an atheist cry one time. But I'm afraid she is outside my abilities. Her foundation is JW. Is their anything I can do here?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1) God knew humans would fall. He allowed it.
Yes, part of being an All loving God is allowing for people to make their own choices, would you prefer a dictator God ??
2) God gives us desires then sends us to hell for acting on those desires.

God doesn't give us desires, where did she get that idea??
3) God demands worship by compelling worship with force (threat of hell).

People are free to worship the creator of all, the source of love and life or to NOT worship and face the consequences of doing the opposite, what seems to be the problem here?
4) "If someone was getting attacked and you were a cop in a position of authority and yet did nothing but watch"
What ??
A police officers JOB IS to intervene.
5) "Stop blaming sin for your choices"
Sin is CHOOSING to do what one knows to be wrong.
6) "If I don't follow the (Gods) rules I go to hell that's conditional love"
God doesn't send anyone to hell, people's choice send them to hell, how is that conditional love?
Allowing people the freedom to choose their path is wrong ??
7) "I don't need saving babe"
Then why such anger towards God ??
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

Thank you Paul

These are not my questions. They are questions a, friend, has for me which I am asking how to answer her.