Rastafarian movement

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
believ3r
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Rastafarian movement

Post by believ3r »

I just wanted your guys' opinion on the Rastafarian movement. Do you believe it to be a legitimate denomination/sect of Christianity, or do you believe it to be heretical?
kmr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Rastafarian movement

Post by kmr »

Worshiping the emperor is not good, but worship of Christ is... if they accept that Christ is the savior and that by him they can find the gift of salvation, then it is okay, but if they reject that belief, then not. Worship of a specific man as the savior other than Christ alone shouldn't be okay.
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

The Rastafarian movement is not Christian, period. It worships a human who calls himself "Jah Rastafari" and claims to be the second incarnation of Christ.
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
Telstra Robs
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Telstra Robs »

When interviewed by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's Bill McNeil in 1967, Haile Selassie denied that a man could be an emanation from God. In Ethiopia, very few consider him to be Jesus. About 2/3 are Orthodox Christians and 1/3 are Muslims (religion is generally determined by area, Christians being in some regions and Muslims in others). Furthermore, the funeral of Haile Selassie I took place and was observed by many (though Rastafarians consider it fraudulent). From what I understand, it was mostly followed by a group of Jamaicans who did not like the idea of a "white Jesus". With Ethiopia being so successful during the colonial era at repelling colonial powers (the only occupation of Ethiopia was in World War II for 5 years between 1936 and 1941, see First Italo-Abyssinian War and Second Italo-Abyssinian War), essentially being the only nation in Africa NOT to be colonised, its leader may have come to be considered "god like". I'm not too sure though. I think it's something along those lines.

At any rate, it is certainly a false religion, especially with the one whom they revere as Jesus never claiming to be Jesus and in one instance denying it.
zackabba
Newbie Member

Post by zackabba »

The ironic thing about all of it is that Halie, in fact, is an Ethiopian Orthodox Christian.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

do not worry about it, it isn't Christian
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com