Did you "receive Jesus" the Jesus way, or man's way?

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: Did you "receive Jesus" the Jesus way, or man's way?

Post by Byblos »

TallMan wrote:
Jac3510 wrote: . . . Your eternal soul may well hang in the balance.
Ah, the pagan eternal soul doctrine.
Wha? :?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Byblos,

Might I suggest moving this thread to the "Aberrant Christianity" section? If you do a bit of googling, you'll find the group has many of the characteristics of common cults (i.e., no fellowship with ex-members, discouragement of reading non RCI material, excessive control of personal life by the pastoral staff, compulsory meetings, etc.)?

I think the title of the thread enough should warrant the move. It's typical of the "my church is the only true church" mentality, which is directly derived from the "restored movement" mentality common to all cults.

Just my $.02. :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Jac3510 wrote:Byblos,

Might I suggest moving this thread to the "Aberrant Christianity" section? If you do a bit of googling, you'll find the group has many of the characteristics of common cults (i.e., no fellowship with ex-members, discouragement of reading non RCI material, excessive control of personal life by the pastoral staff, compulsory meetings, etc.)?

I think the title of the thread enough should warrant the move. It's typical of the "my church is the only true church" mentality, which is directly derived from the "restored movement" mentality common to all cults.

Just my $.02. :)
Good idea.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
TallMan
Established Member

Post by TallMan »

Jac3510 wrote: no fellowship with ex-members
If you knew what true fellowship is you would applaud this stand.
Jac3510 wrote:discouragement of reading non RCI material,
Are members of your church encouraged to read material of groups that you disagree with?
Is that appropriate shepherding of people?
(btw, I/we are not RCI)
Jac3510 wrote:excessive control of personal life by the pastoral staff, compulsory meetings, etc.)?
People that rejected the message of Jesus & Paul were quick to receive accusations against them as true. Nothing new here folks!

Ac:24:14: But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:

Jac3510 wrote:I think the title of the thread enough should warrant the move. It's typical of the "my church is the only true church" mentality, which is directly derived from the "restored movement" mentality common to all cults.
Can you please name the true churches?
Jac3510 wrote:Just my $.02. :)
I agree with that part.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

If you knew what true fellowship is you would applaud this stand.
True Scottsman fallacy.
Are members of your church encouraged to read material of groups that you disagree with?
Is that appropriate shepherding of people?
(btw, I/we are not RCI)
As a matter of fact, yes, I encourage them heavily to read material with which I disagree. As far as you not being RCI, no, you are RFI, which formed from a schism with RCI over the reenstatement of sexually impure members.
People that rejected the message of Jesus & Paul were quick to receive accusations against them as true. Nothing new here folks!

Ac:24:14: But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:
Yes, because Jesus forced Himself on people. One of the truest marks of a cult is their authoritarian control of people's personal lives.
Sure. Everyone who believes the Gospel, which you, in this thread, have denied (John 1:12).

Anyway, it was fun discussing this with you. I'm certainly not going to change you mind, and after all you've said, I have no fears that you are going to influence anyone who ever stumbles across this conversation.

:wave:
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
TallMan
Established Member

Post by TallMan »

Jac3510 wrote:
Sure. Everyone who believes the Gospel, which you, in this thread, have denied (John 1:12).
You havn't named any!
Can you name 2 or 3 in your area?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

TallMan wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:
You havn't named any!
Can you name 2 or 3 in your area?

1 Co 12:27, "Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it..."

John Simpson, Mary Banks, George Hederson, Susan McHugh, Jonathan Square, Melvin Johnson, John Stocker, Joyce Meyer, and the list goes on and on... and that is more than three...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
TallMan
Established Member

Post by TallMan »

B. W. wrote: John Simpson, Mary Banks, George Hederson, Susan McHugh, Jonathan Square, Melvin Johnson, John Stocker, Joyce Meyer, and the list goes on and on... and that is more than three...
These people run true churches?
I'm from England so I only know Joyce Mayer . . how does one become a member of her church?
I've watched her meetings on TV, many of the elements God says he wants in 1 Cor. 11 - 14 were not there.

I noe you havn't listed any of what people would call "main-stream denominations".
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Tall-Man

Obviously, any main line Protestant church or Catholic church won't fall into your ideaof the true church because you hold to the position of absolutel havingthe baility to speak in tongues when you are saved, that in fact, somebody unable to speak in tongues would immediately be shown to not have the Holy Spirit and therefore not be saved (although who's to say wht thesourceof the speaking and the tongues....the person faking it? the devil? demons? ). As someone has asked you already, how do you even know their not faking it?

Let's just cut to the chase....you would deem all of us here non-believers and all of the main-line Protestant church and Catholic churches to be false churches.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

Yeah. I already cited Calvary Chapel twice, at least, as a large church/denomination that has many members that speak in tongues, but they do not believe it is a necessary sign of salvation. It goes flatly against Tallman's beliefs. I think the Vineyard (well, Vineyard is the church that has had a lot of weird stuff go on in the past) and the Evangelical Free Church in America are similar (Vineyard, more HS signs; EV Free, less HS signs). Those two are denominations, whereas Calvary Chapel is huge but doesn't like being called a denomination.

http://www.calvarychapel.com/
http://www.efca.org/
http://www.vineyardusa.org/site/
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

TallMan wrote:
B. W. wrote: John Simpson, Mary Banks, George Hederson, Susan McHugh, Jonathan Square, Melvin Johnson, John Stocker, Joyce Meyer, and the list goes on and on... and that is more than three...
These people run true churches?
I'm from England so I only know Joyce Mayer . . how does one become a member of her church?
I've watched her meetings on TV, many of the elements God says he wants in 1 Cor. 11 - 14 were not there.

I noe you havn't listed any of what people would call "main-stream denominations".
I do not mean the Joyce Meyer's who is famous but another woman of the same name - unknown. These are people who attended many churches in my location in Colorado!

Point is - We all make up the Body of Christ and each of us are individual memebers. In the bible passage cited - it goes on to tell us that not all will speak in tongues as well...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

B.W.

Thanks for clarifying the Joyce Meyer thing. You had me scared there for a minute.

But back on topic.

Where are the tares?

Where are the wolves in sheeps clothing?

The tares are among the wheat. The wolves are among the sheep. The "church," if we call it, is not identified with a "creed" or what sign in on the post outside. Jesus teaches that the REAL church will have imposters in it. Now, I would be absolutely crazy if I said the only way you could tell if your church was the "real" church was if you had charlatans in your congregation. Ridiculous. I would be misappropiating the scripture.
And sadly Tallman's church has chosen tongues as a point to determine salvation. I can only imagine the pressure children in this congregation must feel to "speak" tongues. And how many grow up faking it. And this is exactly what Paul was writing about in Corinthians. The letter is clearly a rebuke and correction for something that was wrong within the church.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

jlay wrote:B.W.

Thanks for clarifying the Joyce Meyer thing. You had me scared there for a minute.

But back on topic.

Where are the tares?

Where are the wolves in sheeps clothing?

The tares are among the wheat. The wolves are among the sheep. The "church," if we call it, is not identified with a "creed" or what sign in on the post outside. Jesus teaches that the REAL church will have imposters in it. Now, I would be absolutely crazy if I said the only way you could tell if your church was the "real" church was if you had charlatans in your congregation. Ridiculous. I would be misappropiating the scripture.
And sadly Tallman's church has chosen tongues as a point to determine salvation. I can only imagine the pressure children in this congregation must feel to "speak" tongues. And how many grow up faking it. And this is exactly what Paul was writing about in Corinthians. The letter is clearly a rebuke and correction for something that was wrong within the church.
:amen: :clap: :clap:
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
TallMan
Established Member

Post by TallMan »

jlay wrote: . ..And sadly Tallman's church has chosen tongues as a point to determine salvation. I can only imagine the pressure children in this congregation must feel to "speak" tongues. And how many grow up faking it.
Indeed, rather than visit and see, you prefer to air your imaginations . . . which just so happen to justify what you want to believe.
jlay wrote: And this is exactly what Paul was writing about in Corinthians.
Was it??
Chapter & verse please !

I suspect this is another one of your imaginations, but I'm happy to be shown to be wrong . . .
jlay wrote:The letter is clearly a rebuke and correction for something that was wrong within the church.
Anyone who speaks english could discern that from the letter . . . but can you see from the detail what exactly was wrong?
- WHY did Paul say what he did concerning speaking in tongues?

(the answer is there without any need to add or subtract detail!)
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Indeed, rather than visit and see, you prefer to air your imaginations
I visited the link you provided and have read your posts. If the information is bad then whose fault is that?

Bottom line:
In your understanding. Can one have a saving faith and NOT speak in tongues, yes or no?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious