JW and Baptism

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
cookie
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

JW and Baptism

Post by cookie »

When I was 5 my parents began studying with Jehovah's Wittnesses, and at 16 I had a stong faith in God and wanted to dedicate my life to service and was baptised in the name of the father, the son and the holy spirit.

Do you think a person would have to be rebaptised for any reason?

I left the organization many many many ago due to just just not feeling what I had been taught was the truth. I had read the bible cover to cover and in college did a couple of exegisis papers that really did open my eyes to other printed materials of translations of the bible. I think in college it truly made me question and ask myself if I really do believe this and be a part of something I have serious doubts with. I no longer felt it was the truth and disassociated myself from it in a letter to the elders to the congregation I was associated with at that time. They read it before the congregation and now shun me.. which is fine with me. I have no desire to go back.

Thoughts on the baptism?
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: JW and Baptism

Post by Cross.eyed »

Having been baptised in the name of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost is in line with orthodox Christianity.

I can't imagine a problem with your original baptism in mainstream Christainity, however there could be some discussion if you were to join a Church that has particular doctrines aside from orthodoxy.

If it were me, I would discuss it with the clergy before joining.

Happy hunting,
Cross.eyed
I am the wretch the song refers to.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: JW and Baptism

Post by FFC »

cookie wrote:When I was 5 my parents began studying with Jehovah's Wittnesses, and at 16 I had a stong faith in God and wanted to dedicate my life to service and was baptised in the name of the father, the son and the holy spirit.

Do you think a person would have to be rebaptised for any reason?

I left the organization many many many ago due to just just not feeling what I had been taught was the truth. I had read the bible cover to cover and in college did a couple of exegisis papers that really did open my eyes to other printed materials of translations of the bible. I think in college it truly made me question and ask myself if I really do believe this and be a part of something I have serious doubts with. I no longer felt it was the truth and disassociated myself from it in a letter to the elders to the congregation I was associated with at that time. They read it before the congregation and now shun me.. which is fine with me. I have no desire to go back.

Thoughts on the baptism?
Did you truly believe in Christ alone for your salvation, during those 11 years that you were under that teaching? If not then by all means do it again as a true profession of your faith in Christ. If yes, then I think I would still do it again if only to reinforce things in the context of your "new" worldview.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?