Aberration

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
hfd

Aberration

Post by hfd »

I'm new here and find this site quite interesting although certainly predictable . There are several threads that purport to expose various religious groups as 'cults' or abberation to the true 'Christianity'. It so reminds me of the smugness of the First Baptist Church, Cedar Hill Texas, circa 1954. My request is simply this. Please define and contrast the 'real' Christianity to the 'cults' and aberrations.

And please, keep Pauline Theology out of the discussion. Thank you.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Aberration

Post by B. W. »

hfd wrote:I'm new here and find this site quite interesting although certainly predictable . There are several threads that purport to expose various religious groups as 'cults' or aberration to the true 'Christianity'. It so reminds me of the smugness of the First Baptist Church, Cedar Hill Texas, circa 1954. My request is simply this. Please define and contrast the 'real' Christianity to the 'cults' and aberrations.

Welcome to the Forum!

Now, you have me curious — what do you mean by 'predictable?'

In regard to your question: your answer is found in the Nicene Creed and early Church writings [33 to around 325 AD] and the history that surrounds why and how the Creed was written.

Now, if this is a predictable answer - well then, my apologies.

Also, I no nothing of the First Baptist Church, Cedar Hill Texas, circa 1954 so please inform me so I can understand what you mean.
-
-
-
hfd

Post by hfd »

B. W. wrote:
hfd wrote:I'm new here and find this site quite interesting although certainly predictable . There are several threads that purport to expose various religious groups as 'cults' or aberration to the true 'Christianity'. It so reminds me of the smugness of the First Baptist Church, Cedar Hill Texas, circa 1954. My request is simply this. Please define and contrast the 'real' Christianity to the 'cults' and aberrations.

Welcome to the Forum!

Now, you have me curious — what do you mean by 'predictable?'

In regard to your question: your answer is found in the Nicene Creed and early Church writings [33 to around 325 AD] and the history that surrounds why and how the Creed was written.

Now, if this is a predictable answer - well then, my apologies.

Also, I no nothing of the First Baptist Church, Cedar Hill Texas, circa 1954 so please inform me so I can understand what you mean.
-
-
-
Thank you for your acceptance. The predictability is enconced in the thread about cults and abberations.

The Nicene Creed was of course quite distant from Jesus in terms of years and it was more of a political statement than one of theology insofar as Constantine simply wanted to rid the Empire of religious bickering.

The FBC of Cedar Hill was convinced it, as a member of the Southern Baptist Convetion, with periodic Lottie Moon offerings held the keys to salvation.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Post by B. W. »

hfd wrote: The Nicene Creed was of course quite distant from Jesus in terms of years and it was more of a political statement than one of theology insofar as Constantine simply wanted to rid the Empire of religious bickering.
Not quite - It was not a political statement but came about for other reasons out of necessity due to all the' wild brained crazy religious doctrines' floating around back then. We, even in our own time, have many today spouting off 'wild brained crazy religious doctrines' that claim to be Christian. How would you tell the real from the false? There would need to be a standard gauge made that would encapsulate [epitomize] what true Christian doctrine is as stated and taught within the bible in an easy to understand manner to guard against heresy that all people could use to discern the true from the false. That is the Nicene Creed and why it really came to be. It had too.

See: Wikipedia-Nicene Creed reference link for more info. Quote from Wikipedia below:

HISTORY

The purpose of a creed is to act as a yardstick of correct belief. A creed is an epitome, not a full definition, of what is required for orthodoxy. It was hoped that by memorizing this summary of the faith, lay people without extensive theological training would still be able to recognize deviations from orthodox doctrines based on the Bible as interpreted in Christian Tradition.

The Nicene Creed, both in its original and revised formulas, is an implicit condemnation of specific errors. Thus, as different variations in Christian belief evolved in the fourth century and were perceived as threats, new phrases were seen to be needed, like amendments to a constitution. As the historical developments of a constitutional society can be traced through amendments to its constitution, the particular theological developments in a religious society show in the successive forms of its written creed
.”
hfd wrote: The FBC of Cedar Hill was convinced it, as a member of the Southern Baptist Convention, with periodic Lottie Moon offerings held the keys to salvation.
I have no idea where you have come up with intel regarding this but it SBC and SB do not teach that periodic Lottie Moon offerings hold the keys to salvation!? If that happened in 1954 — well it is 2007 now! Please, provide a source to document your claim here and its long reaching effects on today's 2007 Southern Baptist.
-
-
-