Pentecostals

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Blacknad
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by Blacknad »

I went to an Assemblies of God church and whether it was a tenet of their faith or not, it was assumed by people there that speaking in tongues was a direct result of real conversion.

The end result being that if you didn't speak in tongues or doubted their position on it, then you probably weren't saved.

This caused me problems because I ended up speaking in tongues, but felt that it was contrived and more of a psychological phenomena. Their emphasis on tongues is a false teaching that can cause sincere Christians to doubt their salvation.

I think there is a big difference between the psychobabbling of modern day Christians (glossolalia) and the tongues of the Bible (xenoglossia).

An experiment was done where a greek passage was read out and recorded and played back to two christians claiming to have the gift of interpretation. They both translated it into generic christian statements that had nothing to do with the meaning in the greek. They translated it from Greek to Geek.

Regards,

Blacknad.
IRQ Conflict
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Hmm, It takes all kinds doesn't it? Ask them what Paul thinks about that false doctrine.

1Co 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
1Co 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

1Co 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Co 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

This is one of many gifts of the Spirit, not all are speaking in tongues and not all will recieve it. Paul esteems charity above all. If you haven't gotten, then give ;) Oh, and tell those that think your unsaved to read what Jesus said about salvation in John 3:16 :)

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Last edited by IRQ Conflict on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
led
Recognized Member

Post by led »

To a small degree that was in my old church. That's one of the reasons why I left the Pentacostal Church. But I think that it should be noted that all denominations will have off-branches that are very off the wall.

That's why I go to a non-denominational church.

Too many divisions in my opinion.... oh wait, opinions are what cause divisions :)
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Blacknad wrote:I went to an Assemblies of God church and whether it was a tenet of their faith or not, it was assumed by people there that speaking in tongues was a direct result of real conversion.

The end result being that if you didn't speak in tongues or doubted their position on it, then you probably weren't saved.

This caused me problems because I ended up speaking in tongues, but felt that it was contrived and more of a psychological phenomena. Their emphasis on tongues is a false teaching that can cause sincere Christians to doubt their salvation.

I think there is a big difference between the psychobabbling of modern day Christians (glossolalia) and the tongues of the Bible (xenoglossia).

An experiment was done where a greek passage was read out and recorded and played back to two christians claiming to have the gift of interpretation. They both translated it into generic christian statements that had nothing to do with the meaning in the greek. They translated it from Greek to Geek.

Regards,

Blacknad.
I myself go to an Assemblies of GOD... I do not believe that tongues is a Requirement of Salvation. Even though they seem to express that it is a General gift from God. I have never been confronted with "you have to Speak in tongues in order to be saved". I agree with what IRQ stated

Thanks
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

bizzt wrote:
Blacknad wrote:I went to an Assemblies of God church and whether it was a tenet of their faith or not, it was assumed by people there that speaking in tongues was a direct result of real conversion.

Regards,

Blacknad.
I myself go to an Assemblies of GOD... I do not believe that tongues is a Requirement of Salvation. Even though they seem to express that it is a General gift from God. I have never been confronted with "you have to Speak in tongues in order to be saved". I agree with what IRQ stated

Thanks
I echo that. I've been to AofG before. To my recollection tongues was never presented as necessary for salvation. There may be those who hold to tongues as the only evidence for the Baptism of the Spirit which is a subsequent event related to sanctification, not salvation. In that instance it would be seen as a separate one time event and not necessarily the conferring of the Gift.

Of course, there may be varying strength of teaching and conviction from Church to Church and it may be that in the absence of clear teaching or communication that someone might come away with that impression.

A of G has their statement of faith on the web. I'd link but I'm just flying by here quickly. I suggest you check the official AG site for a statment of faith and see if that clarifies it.
Blacknad
Recognized Member

Post by Blacknad »

PENTECOSTAL ASSEMBLIES OF GOD OF AMERICA
STATEMENT OF FAITH

6. In the Baptism of the Holy Ghost, received subsequent to the new birth, with speaking in other tongues, as the Spirit gives the utterance, as the initial physical sign and evidence.

Regards,

Blacknad.
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

PENTECOSTAL ASSEMBLIES OF GOD OF AMERICA
STATEMENT OF FAITH

7. In the Word of God, reading it all is not necessary as we have interpreted it for you, with a complete disregard for what it says. /sarcasm....
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Blacknad wrote:PENTECOSTAL ASSEMBLIES OF GOD OF AMERICA
STATEMENT OF FAITH

6. In the Baptism of the Holy Ghost, received subsequent to the new birth, with speaking in other tongues, as the Spirit gives the utterance, as the initial physical sign and evidence.

Regards,

Blacknad.
I happen not to agree with this doctrine as far as tongues being the initial evidence. I do however believe that sanctification is progressive and often punctuated with crisis. The denomination I served in for many years used to have a strong emphasis in this area, without promoting tongues as the initial evidence and sadly it has retreated from this position over the years to where sanctification as a crisis experience is no longer promoted strongly.

But in any event, this statement does affirm what I thought I'd remembered so at least my memoy is not completely gone.

;)
led
Recognized Member

Post by led »

Nowhere in the bible does it say that tongues is the initial evidence, nor a required gift(1 Cor. 12:10). Giving to each one as HE wills. Which says that not all will have this gift. Does it make them less spiritual? No. A lot of Pentacostal Churches that I've gone to have made people feel less spiritual. I do believe that it's because of their focus on gifts.

I'm not saying that gifts are not important, but it isn't a major issue. 1Cor.14

Rev.22:18,19 if anyone adds to these words, God will add to him the plagues that are writtenin this book. I do find that many denominations have done that. Why are their so many divisions?
At the most only one can be right.

Led
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Indeed there is a small focus on Gifts but it certainly does not lead the person Astray from where the REAL focus Lies. My focus is on Jesus. if I receive the gift of tongues which I don't recall ever receiving then great but that will not stop me from Praising his name

I noticed something with the Statement of Faith

I don't like the last bit but I find it kind of Contradictory that the Spirit gives the Utterance but it is still the Initial Physical Sign and Evidence.

Anyways...
Horace.Miles
Newbie Member

Surprised to find Pentecostal list among the abberent belief

Post by Horace.Miles »

I am a Oneness follower and believer. I know that most Oness people can not explain what they believe and this has caused many to think that they are out in left field.

Joh 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
1Pe 1:16
Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

Oness believe that God is a spirit and that God is Holy Thus making God The Holy Spirit.

Matthew 1:18-23 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily. But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

The Holy Spirit spoke to Marys whom and place it's Spirit within the flesh that would grow there.

Isa 9:6
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

The Child that was to be born is The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace wrapped in flesh.

John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

John 1:10-11 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

In this flesh He says you would know Him as the Son. But it is He the One that made all things, He came into the world and the world new him not. He is the Almighty God in flesh that you are seeing.

1Ti 3:16
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory (GOD DID THESE THINGS BUT WE KNOW HIM DOING THESE THINGS AS THE SON)

If you but ask yourself three simple questions you can come to understanding of the Oneness Doctorine...

God created all things! Hence He is known as the Father of Creation

If God created there had to be a time before He created all things. Which would mean there had to be a time that He was not the Father of Creation ..pre-creation.. This begs the question then before God created all things and became the Father of Creation was He still all God? If the answer to this is yes then being the Father of Creation is not required to make Him God. If it is not required to make Him God you have effectively eliminated Father from the trinity. Which in turn eliminates 1/3 of the Trinity.

2. Before God wrapped Himself in flesh and came into the World as the Son was He still all God? If you answer yes to this question then being the Son of Redemption is not required to make God, God! If that is true then you have now eliminated two parts 2/3 of the Trinity.

3. Before God became the Holy Spirit was He still all God. Trick question.. God has always been the Holy Spirit. It is who and what God is. It is not something He became.

In closing.. Anything that God becomes is not required to make Him God.
Being the Father of Creation is not required because did not have to create and He would have still been the Holy Spirit. God did not have to come into the world as the Son of Redemption and He would still be all God. But God has always and will always be the Holy Spirit.

Now that might give you understanding into this scripture:
Mt 12:31
Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Mt 12:32
And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Lu 12:10
And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.

FATHER is a title given to the Holy Spirit for a work it was doing (creation) something it became. Son is a title given to the Holy Spirit for a work it was doing (salvation) something it became. The Holy Spirit is the Father, the Holy Spirit is the Son now go and baptism them in the Name of the Fahter, of the son and of the Holy Spirit... You will find that their name is Jesus or Jehovah is Salvation. In all cases you never find any apostle baptizing in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit because they understood the name of all Is Jesus.

Ac 4:12
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved

The Apostols new the name. And you only find them baptizing in:
Acts 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Acts 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

That is what we believe and we believe that when one is baptized the proper way in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ and has truly repented you shall recieved the gift of the Holy Spirit and the recieving of this gift will be shown with this sign so that we know that you have recieved it

Acts 10:48 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

I hope this has helped you some in how we believe what we belive..

Sincerely in Christ.
IRQ Conflict

Re: Surprised to find Pentecostal list among the abberent be

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Oh my! Where to begin....lets start with the "it" thing shall we? Please explain your depersonalization of the Holy Spirit.
Horace.Miles wrote: The Holy Spirit spoke to Marys whom and place it's Spirit within the flesh that would grow there.
FATHER is a title given to the Holy Spirit for a work it was doing
If God created there had to be a time before He created all things. Which would mean there had to be a time that He was not the Father of Creation ..pre-creation.. This begs the question then before God created all things and became the Father of Creation was He still all God? If the answer to this is yes then being the Father of Creation is not required to make Him God. If it is not required to make Him God you have effectively eliminated Father from the trinity. Which in turn eliminates 1/3 of the Trinity.
hmmm, then I guess the Word is Fatherless?
2. Before God wrapped Himself in flesh and came into the World as the Son was He still all God? If you answer yes to this question then being the Son of Redemption is not required to make God, God! If that is true then you have now eliminated two parts 2/3 of the Trinity.
This only works if you believe God is one, and not three individuals.
3. Before God became the Holy Spirit was He still all God. Trick question.. God has always been the Holy Spirit. It is who and what God is. It is not something He became.
The Holy Spirit is part of who\what God is.
In closing.. Anything that God becomes is not required to make Him God.
Being the Father of Creation is not required because did not have to create and He would have still been the Holy Spirit. God did not have to come into the world as the Son of Redemption and He would still be all God. But God has always and will always be the Holy Spirit.
John 1:1 Springs to mind.

In the beginning was the Word (Jesus, he Son) and the Word (Jesus) was with God and the Word was God.

I wish I had the time to really get into this, it is a very interesting topic and very important. I hope others will chime in.

In the meantime take a look at this info on the Trinity won't you?

The Trinity

And welcome aboard friend!
Kyle2012
Acquainted Member

Re: Pentecostals

Post by Kyle2012 »

in my city, ive been to a pentecostal church and an evengelical one. cant tell the difference. tongues is just a blessing, not a requirement at all. and both also had the trinity, reffering to the father, son, and holy spirit.