Pentecostals

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member
Christian: No

Pentecostals

Post by SUGAAAAA »

is the pentecostal church heresy?

I know they reject the trinity, they consider the Trinity and Trinitarians heretical. they also believe baptism of the Holy Spirit necessary for salvation, and evidence of speaking in tounges is absolutely required as well.

Why do they restrict watching television and movies?

Anyone here a member of the pentecostal church?
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
IRQ Conflict
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

:shock: I have been to various pentecostal churches, and none of em are against the trinity that I know of.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Re: Pentecostals

Post by bizzt »

SUGAAAAA wrote:is the pentecostal church heresy?

I know they reject the trinity, they consider the Trinity and Trinitarians heretical. they also believe baptism of the Holy Spirit necessary for salvation, and evidence of speaking in tounges is absolutely required as well.

What the Heck. I am a Pentecostal and have never heard of that Before.
I don't believe I have to be Baptized by the Holy Spirit to be Necessary to my Salvation. However Penetecostals believe that Speaking in Tongues are one of the gifts of being baptized by the Holy Spirit.

Can you give me a link to the Site you are getting this information from? Although I would restrict watching Television and Movies just because there probably are so many more things to do in this Life I do not restrict people or have ever been restricted watching Tele or Movies. In fact our Preacher loves "Napoleon Dynamite"!
Last edited by bizzt on Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

Here is a more accurate statement of the faith

http://pfai.org/aboutus.htm
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

bizzt wrote:

I don't believe I have to be Baptized by the Holy Spirit to be Necessary to my Salvation. However Penetecostals believe that Speaking in Tongues are one of the gifts of being baptized by the Holy Spirit.

Can you give me a link to the Site you are getting this information from? Although I would restrict watching Television and Movies just because there probably are so many more things to do in this Life I do not restrict people or have ever been restricted watching Tele or Movies. In fact our Preacher loves "Napoleon Dynamite"!

"Napoleon Dynamite" at least it is a clean movie :wink:

Napoleon Dynamite had the best pick up line I ever heard used to win a girl -

I see you are drinking one percent - you must think you are fat...

Yes, I have the CD - a Christmas Present!

Back to the subject - are you refering to the ONENESS PENTECOSTAL MOVEMENT?

The majority of Pentecostals do not hold the beliefs you site.
-
-
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

B. W. wrote:
bizzt wrote:

"Napoleon Dynamite" at least it is a clean movie :wink:

Napoleon Dynamite had the best pick up line I ever heard used to win a girl -

I see you are drinking one percent - you must think you are fat...

Yes, I have the CD - a Christmas Present!

Back to the subject - are you refering to the ONENESS PENTECOSTAL MOVEMENT?

The majority of Pentecostals do not hold the beliefs you site.
-
-
LOL!

That must be the Movement he is referring to! I have never heard of it though
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

http://www.carm.org/oneness.htm

I *had* a friend who was a member of this church, and considered the Trinity a false doctrine.

however, that was a while ago, and didnt know much about the trinity then. But now I see that a majority of Christian churches do accept it, which caused some confusion for me...
Last edited by SUGAAAAA on Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

SUGAAAAA wrote:http://www.carm.org/oneness.htm

I *had* a friend who was a member of this church, and considered the Trinity a false doctrine.

however, that was a while ago, and didnt much about the trinity then. But now I see that a majority of Christian churches do accept it, which caused some confusion for me...
I would say that Theology is TOTALLY different then the Pentecostal Churches.
ray
Recognized Member

pentecostals

Post by ray »

I have been a member of the Pentecostal Church in Canada for 30 years and what you posted is news to me. We believe in the trinity, we believe in baptism of the Holy Spirit but not that it is necessary for salvation, and evidence of speaking in tounges is encouraged but not absolutely required.
I think you need to check the source of your information because there have been some offshoot of the Pentecostal movement that have gone of the deep end.

Ray
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Yeah, there's a big difference in Pentacostals and Oneness Pentacostals. However, I wouldn't call them "aberent." They teach a heresy, yes, because a heresy, technically, is simply just a false doctrine. Oneness was condemned in the early church ages. Look up Modalism. But, it doesn't have any direct bearing on a person's salvation.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Son Worshiper
Newbie Member

Post by Son Worshiper »

I grew up in Pentecostal churches, and they all believed in the trinity.
It's pretty much as Ray posted.

I no longer call myself a pentecostal (preferring to just call myself a "Christian"). But I had no problems with that denomination and would be comfortable attending services at a Pentecostal church.

I don't really know much about Oneness Pentecostals, though.
led
Recognized Member

Post by led »

I've gone to many Pentecostal churches, but I don't call myself pentecostal. When we all get to heaven, there aren't going to groups in one corner and another. The Pentecostal denomination has many good things going for it, other than the fact that in Canada (not sure elsewhere) the pastor can get voted out by the people of the church. Seems to me that the pastor would have the pastors anointiong to lead the church and not the people. Sad to see good Pastors voted out just because everybody doesn't like him. Good thing Moses wasn't voted out before they got to the promise land!
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

Hmm... I didnt know most Pentecostals rejected the oneness theology. The UPCI is a church that holds the oneness view, and has about 4358 churches in North America, and around 28,351 worldwide. Its also considered one of the fastest growing denominations as well (see here).

didnt realize they were minority though :?

thanks for clearing things up, all you guys.
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Just remember, 'not all who call me Lord will enter in'. There are alway's going to be false Christs false apostles/witnesses ect. Just search scripture and divide the truth from the lie. Do not tolerate even a slight twist of doctrine.

What do we say in our courts as we place our hand on the Word? "The whole Truth and nothing but the Truth, so help me God".

A lie is a lie, no matter what shade of black it comes in.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Oneness Pentacostals and Apostolic Onesness are a strong movement but they are a minority within Petacostalism. I've interacted with a lot of them, and there are varying degrees of what they believe and how they state it. Some of them actually accept what would be described as Trinitarian by some measures, although they draw the line at 3 persons, prefering to see 3 manifestations of the same God. Their formula for Baptism reflect baptism only in the name of Jesus usually.

God may need to sort them out in the end, as he will all of us.