Different Religions

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Brigham
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Different Religions

Post by Brigham »

Hey anyone know or have a link to a page that Lists BRIEF and BASIC info on like baptist, Methodist denominations etc, as well as basic beliefs of Muslims, Jews, etc. and what they think of us (Christians). And basics on deists, atheists, agnostic etc? I just want like a chart so i can be prepared in the future. It would be greatly appreciated :)

God bless!

-Brigham
jabez
Acquainted Member

Different Religions

Post by jabez »

Hello Brigham

I'd recommend going to the actual sources (proper scientific research, but not a quick fix!)...

If you want to be well-informed you'll need to go to the official website of each religion and then evaluate for yourself. Otherwise you can get opinion rather than fact :?

As a student of Christian Science, I can start you off with...:

http://www.churchofchristscientist.org

and I'm sure others will oblige with their own sites. Happy researching :)

jabez
Monday
Acquainted Member

Post by Monday »

You can check out http://www.carm.org. If your also into books, I received a book for Christmas which I suggest. It's called A Handbook of Living Religions edited by John R. Hinnells. It contains a brief history and basic beliefs of Judaism, Islam,Hinduism, Buddhism and others.
Brigham
Recognized Member

Post by Brigham »

cool thx. God bless!

-Brigham
ryo dokomi
Established Member

Post by ryo dokomi »

http://www.thetruelight.net/worldreligions.htm

this is a site that lists much of the eastern religions, and even the middle eastern, (Judaism and Islam)

its very imformative, but not to long.
Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7

it is all about submitting before God, then, and only then, will we have the promise given in Luke 10:19
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Post by Byblos »

ryo dokomi wrote:http://www.thetruelight.net/worldreligions.htm

this is a site that lists much of the eastern religions, and even the middle eastern, (Judaism and Islam)
And here I thought christianity originated in the Middle East too.
ryo dokomi
Established Member

Post by ryo dokomi »

Byblos wrote:

i was talking about eastern and middle eastern religions that are not correct.

it is all about submitting before God, then, and only then, will we have the promise given in Luke 10:19
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

ryo dokomi wrote:
Byblos wrote:

i was talking about eastern and middle eastern religions that are not correct.
Ah, apologies.
ryo dokomi
Established Member

Post by ryo dokomi »

its cool. yes the Believers in Chris did live in the middle east, and the Church was originally from there, but i mean religions such as judaism, islam, and the like. not christianity.

Cougar
Recognized Member

Post by Cougar »

May I ask what you mean when you said "religions that are not correct"?

I am assuming you are Christian and believe that your faith is the way to go. But can you honestly say that other beliefs "are not correct"?
Missing13
Newbie Member

Post by Missing13 »

Question.

When you see Churches with "names" like: so and so Baptist Church, so and so Presbyterian Church, ect. Is there much of a difference?

Just wondering.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Cougar wrote:May I ask what you mean when you said "religions that are not correct"?

I am assuming you are Christian and believe that your faith is the way to go. But can you honestly say that other beliefs "are not correct"?
Yes and with complete confidence:

Matthew7: 13-14 "Go in through the narrow gate. The gate to destruction is wide, and the road that leads there is easy to follow. A lot of people go through that gate. But the gate to life is very narrow. The road that leads there is so hard to follow that only a few people find it." CEV

John 14:5-7, "Thomas said, "Lord, we don't even know where you are going! How can we know the way? - I am the way, the truth, and the life!" Jesus answered. "Without me, no one can go to the Father. If you had known me, you would have known the Father. But from now on, you do know him, and you have seen him..." CEV

Would you like this confidence?
-
-
-
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

B. W. wrote:
Cougar wrote:May I ask what you mean when you said "religions that are not correct"?

Yes and with complete confidence:

Matthew7: 13-14 "Go in through the narrow gate. The gate to destruction is wide, and the road that leads there is easy to follow. A lot of people go through that gate. But the gate to life is very narrow. The road that leads there is so hard to follow that only a few people find it." CEV

John 14:5-7, "Thomas said, "Lord, we don't even know where you are going! How can we know the way? - I am the way, the truth, and the life!" Jesus answered. "Without me, no one can go to the Father. If you had known me, you would have known the Father. But from now on, you do know him, and you have seen him..." CEV

Would you like this confidence?
-
-
-
Amen to that.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Missing13 wrote:Question.

When you see Churches with "names" like: so and so Baptist Church, so and so Presbyterian Church, ect. Is there much of a difference?

Just wondering.
Massive difference, yes. Some denominations are closer to others, but each have their distinctives. Baptists, for instance, believe in believer's baptism only and usually reject salvation by proxy. They also hold to the automony of the local church. Presbyterians, on the other hand, hold to infant baptism and confirmation, as they hold to the idea that those born into the Christian home are born "into the covenant." They still must believe (thus confirmation), but that gets into another issue entirely. They also hold to a different form a church gov't.

Another example might be the Church of Christ. They believe they are the only true church, and that salvation comes by faith, repentance, baptism, and perseverance in good works (I'm missing one somewhere!). They believe this salvation can be lost, and they reject the OT as having any kind of authority whatsoever. Closely related are the Disciples of Christ (often called the Christian Church), an offshoot of the Church of Christ. They hold the same views on salvation, but they are more ecumenical: they don't think they're the only true church. They also permit musical instruments during worship services.

The list goes on and on . . . Methodists, Episcopalians, Church of God, Pentacostals, Mennonites, Anabaptists, Assemblies of God, etc. All of these are different, some closer to others, and each of these generally having sub-denominations. For instance, there are at least thirty Baptist denominations today, including the Independant Baptists, the Fundamental Baptists, Southern Baptists, Particular Baptists, General Baptists, etc.

The best thing to do is get a general idea of the main branches (Baptist, Church of God, Anglican, and Presbyterian are the big ones on the Protestant side of things), and then work your way down. Wikipedia is really good with these types of things, also.

Hope that helps,

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

what demonimation do you belong to Jac? I have 3 churches on my block, and still havent gone to any, each are different.

Since the Church of Christ believes they are the true church, do they believe that only they are saved?
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.