What are "days" in Genesis 1 really?

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Strix
Recognized Member

Post by Strix »

Well, it has been a while since I have been able to post to this forum. I enjoy the discussions here, but work has been quite hectic and if I am to stick to my priorities, I cannot let the addictiveness of meeting on-line override my commitments to my family, my church family, personal evangelism and personal study of God's word (although this forum always invokes the latter). And although I enjoy talking about this subject matter, it is good not to get too engrossed in one subject that takes time away from strengthen your knowledge in other areas.

Kurieuo, I hope that you did not think that your posts caused me to abandon the forum. I have in the interim bought and have been reading through the book you referenced (The Genesis Debate). I have found this at once intriguing and frustrating... and more frustrating than anything else. I am frustrated at the logic that is employed by all authors, even though I agree more with Duncan and Hall. I know I have several things to respond to, but here is a first attempt:
Kurieuo wrote:
Firstly, whether you'd agree or not, I see that your position of each "day" being "24 hours" does not really differ that much from mine in that you believe creation consists of six epochs. The only difference is that you inject 24 hours into the meaning of each epoch, whereas I inject an unspecified period of time within each epoch.

Actually I would disagree. I think our positions differ quite strikingly in both concept and foundation (and let me say here that it is never my intent to misrepresent your viewpoints and I fully expect you to correct me when I do). I would hope that when we finish studying the Bible, that we can come to conclusions that do not harbor the words "inject" or "interpretation". God does not have any interpretations, only truth. If we read His word, then we should know and understand His truth... not our interpretation of it. This is not to say that we will understand fully all that Scripture contains, but where God is silent, we should be silent. God's lack of elaboration does not give us license to do it in His place.
Kurieuo wrote:
Similarly, you also make the same mistake many YECs accuse Day-Age proponents of (if indeed it is a mistake) in that you do not take a "day" as a literal day. For a "day" only has the property of being 24 hours, because the length of an Earth day takes 24 hours to complete. And a property (i.e., 24 hours) of an object (i.e., day) does not mean the property is the object. Without a literal Earth day existing, 24 hours would be void of any meaning related to "day." ... Surely under the scope of Duncan and Hall's argument here against anti-YECs, your own interpretation is also at fault? For what do you make of the "evening and morning" phrase if a literal sunset and sunrise as they believe does not exist?

Two things:
1) At this point, I do take a "day" as a "literal day", (or, if you like, a literal day's timespan) simply because I have not seen any Biblical evidence in context to override the meaning. The issue is not that yom has other meanings in other places. The issue is context. If I were to write you a story and wrote in one place that "I ran the 5K race" and then later in the story wrote that "I ran to the store", surely you would be able to see the context of usage and understand that I took some form of transportation to the store. Neither would there be a great debate that I had a car on the 5K track.

2) As to "sunrise and sunset", my previous posts were emphasizing that the literalness was absent (e.g., the literal star and the literal form of the Earth), not that there was not an equivalency. Allow me to use another literary example. I have joined a team to go and terraform Mars. I write a journal so that everyone on Earth can read about it, and I write it in such a way that anyone (scientist and layman alike) can understand it. In it I write, "It took 6 months to build the Habitat." Now then, how should the reader understand that? How long are the "months" that I wrote about? Part of this answer comes from the intent of the author and the perspective of the intended reader (already stated). In time, someone comes along and says that his interpretation is that I am writing about Martian months because that was my experience. Another group comes along and works out an elaborate mathematical clock that illustrates months no matter where you are in the universe. Their interpretation is that I was using that universal month. Now, here is where my point about interpretation becomes clear (I hope). There is only one way in which I was writing about a "month" and any other interpretation adds to or takes away from the original truth of the matter. One interpretation attempts to put itself in the author's shoes where the interpreter has not been. The other interpretation stands upon a man-made foundation. Both overlook the clear and simple meaning of the text.

Let me be perfectly clear... The natural world is not the danger. It is not even the issue. I believe that nature does express the deity of God. That is a Scripturally sound concept. The problem is human wisdom (1 Cor. 1:20, 1 Cor. 2:12-16, Isaiah 55:8-9, Job 26:14; 38:1-4, Deut. 4:19). The danger is when we equate science (our understanding of nature) with the Bible.
Ross & Archer in [i]The Genesis Debate[/i] wrote:
Nature is God's "expression" as much as the Bible.

...nature's "canon".

Extrabiblical evidences are not inconsequential. They are vital.

I shutter when I read these words. God is seen in nature (Romans 1:20), but when we look to mankind's understanding of the natural world it is not the same as God speaking to us in the Scriptures (Deut. 4:2, Rev. 22:18-19). That is not a sound, Biblical concept. When God brought down the walls of Jericho, we should understand that event based on what the text illustrates. There didn't have to be an earthquake or some scientific explanation about how sound waves can crumble a wall. We don't have to figure out the number of different species in the ark based on the dimensions of the boat. And I shouldn't have to worry about whether the Hebrews understood the creation days to actually be billions of years. These were miracles. They were outside the boundaries of normal precedents, and if we try to scientifically process this information we are missing the point.
[bible]Proverbs 2:6[/bible]
Strix
Recognized Member

Post by Strix »

Kurieuo wrote: <blockquote>1. Genesis 2:4 reads, "These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day (yom) that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens". Firstly I bring your attention to 'generations' - why not have 'days' rather than 'generations' (which implies much longer time) as a summary of God's creation so far? Additionally, this passage also summarises God's whole creation as a "day" (yom). Can you tell me whether one cake can be six cakes? Can 6 days (yom) be one day (yom)?
The Hebrew word is toldaw and is translated descent (i.e., family). Used figuratively, as it is here, it means history or birth. (see the NASB translation).
Kurieuo wrote: 2. There is no rule of the Hebrew language demanding that all numbered days, even when used in a series and so on, must refer to a 24 hour day.
I don't believe that I alluded to this rule, only that wherever we find "shesh yowm", that it is in a context of six, literal days.
Kurieuo wrote: ...and we know from other Biblical verses that the seventh day is left open
We would disagree on this point. Genesis 2: 2-3 clearly closes the seventh day, in that God's work was finished, completed.
Kurieuo wrote: "And God rested on the seventh day from all His works... Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest [God's rest on the seventh day], lest anyone fall through following the same example of disobedience.[/i]" (Hebrews 4:4-11).
This passage simply uses this as an allegory for our heavenly rest as the book uses the priesthood and the temple and Mt. Zion for allegories of the same. Hebrews4:6 states that there are some who remain to enter into it. Under your interpretation (as I understand it) there cannot be humans alive who are not entered into the rest (the continuing 7th day) and some who have rejected it.
Kurieuo wrote: 3. The figures of speech used in Psalm 90:2-6, Proverbs 8:22-31, Ecclesiastes 1:3-11, and Micah 6:2 all serve to depict for us the immeasurable antiquity of God's presence and plans. Considering phrases in Scripture such as, "Before the mountains were born, or you brought forth the earth and the world," are inspired from God, then it seems to me that such verses are letting us now that the earth has been around for quite some time before humanity—the world. Habakkuk 3:6 directly declares the mountains to be "ancient" and the hills to be "age-old." We constantly see mountains being refered to as ancient, but why is this the case if mankind has been around just as long?
Because we haven't been. Before we were, the mountains were. These passages do illustrate the antiquity of those places, but it does not define for us how old they are. It is a simple literary device.
Kurieuo wrote: 4. Well respected Christian apologist and Biblical inerrantist Norman Geisler summarises several Biblical arguments...
Actually, you will find that I do not care what men have thought, surmised, or interpreted from the Scriptures... well respected or not. As I stated in my previous post, human wisdom is the danger. His interpretations of the text actually illustrate that danger and the arrogance that science can bring. Science has blinded him to a proper exegesis of the text. For instance, his comments and conclusions about the land (i.e., the land brings forth vegetation a certain way now and operates under certain laws, therefore it must have been the same on that day of creation) completely disregards the fact that the land was producing under God's direction (at His word; "Then God said...").

Respectfully,
waynes world
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by waynes world »

I wonder why evening is mentioned before the morning in Genesis one? The day in Israel starts at sunset not at sunrise. The date of 4004 bc by Lightfoot lists the 7th day as on Sunday. I think we have problems with dating the earth using genelogies. The verses in Psalms 68:33 and 2 Peter 3:5 say (in the King James ) that the earth is old, not young. So does Moses in Genesis 49:26 and Deuternomy 33:13-18
Strix
Recognized Member

Post by Strix »

waynes world wrote:The verses in Psalms 68:33 and 2 Peter 3:5 say (in the King James ) that the earth is old, not young. So does Moses in Genesis 49:26 and Deuternomy 33:13-18
The problem is that the terms "ancient" and "long ago" are subjective descriptors. Are the mountains ancient? Yes. Did the heavens exist long ago? Yes. How old are the mountains? How long ago did they exist? These passages do not tell us. Speaking of geneologies, let's use them in an example of a subjective descriptor: Someone might say," Lamech lived to be old. But someone else might say that Methuselah lived to be old. So which is it... "old" = 777 years or "old" = 969 years? We can't put a specific timeframe on "old"... these men just lived a long time. I have a niece that would tell you that 30 is "old".

Most of these passages that you cite use literary devices to paint a picture. In Genesis 49, Jacob calls Judah "a lion's whelp". I didn't know he was raised by lions. In Psalm 68, David describes God as dwelling in "the mountain of Bashan" and that He will live there forever. Based on this verse, I will have to change my response to a child's question of "Where does God live?"... unless I realize that the writer is employing a literary style that expounds the grandeur of this mountain. In Deuteronomy 33:15, there are ancient mountains, but in the same verse the hills are going to last forever (2 Peter 3:7;10).

It is also interesting to note the view of time in 2 Peter 3. Verse 5 clearly makes reference to the creation, but verse 6 states "through which the world at that time was destroyed" referring to the flood. Then in verse 7 the Holy Spirit through Peter writes "the present heavens and earth". It seems that there is a very general, broad spectrum applied to the timeline used here, in which there is a sense of "then" and "now".
waynes world
Established Member

Post by waynes world »

Actually 2 Peter 3:5 isn't talking about the flood of Noah at all but about a flood that happened earlier than that. If the term 'ancient" is subjective than so is the word "day." It could mean any number of things besides 24 hour. I don't think the Hebrews of old had ever heard of 24 hours. The day to them lasted 12 hours. Jesus refered to the day that way in John 11:9.
Strix
Recognized Member

Post by Strix »

waynes world wrote:Actually 2 Peter 3:5 isn't talking about the flood of Noah at all but about a flood that happened earlier than that.
We are getting a little off topic (no thanks to me :D ), but if you will read again, I posted that vs. 6 (not vs. 5) referenced the flood we read about in Genesis 6. Maybe we could start another topic about "the earth was formed out of water and by water". I would certainly be interested in reading your thoughts on it.
waynes world wrote:If the term 'ancient" is subjective than so is the word "day." It could mean any number of things besides 24 hour. I don't think the Hebrews of old had ever heard of 24 hours. The day to them lasted 12 hours. Jesus refered to the day that way in John 11:9.

The Hebrews certainly knew about more than 12 hours (Psalm 55:17). In John 11:9, Jesus uses the word "day" in the context of walking in the light of day. This is a phrase we would use today, and yet we would also understand a 24 hour "day". As Christ juxtaposes the 12 hours of light with the darkness John 11:9-10, how many hours would He say the darkness comprised? And if we added those to the hours of light, what would be the sum? (cf. Genesis 1:5)
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

I would venture to guess that day has only two available meanings in the scripture in question.

1. that literal and known interpretation for a day.
2. Some unknown quantity that if understood that way seems to demonstrate a failure to communicate on the part of God.

Seems to me that there is no reason to think that God is being cryptic. I would think a truthful God that reveals to man would say In the first age of time the earth was without form and void . . . If that was the truth of how he created.

God says days and I'm going with what that communicates directly to me, I see no need to justify unproven stories about goelogical time periods, and tearoom conjecture in my own personal theory of Genises. That is that God worte it in a forward and truthful way that is easily understandable to his creation to whom he is revealing it.
waynes world
Established Member

Post by waynes world »

I am certainly not justifying anything. I would say the reverse is just as true. The young earth view justifies what creationism insists on. God left the age of the earth out on purpose and unless we were there physically it would be unwise to insist one way or another. I have believed the stars would have to be a lot older than 10,000 years. I don't believe that God would make the stars look younger than they are just because he wants to accomidate creationism. I believe that time points to God not away from him and thats my biggest complaint against the YEC idea. We can worship God no matter what time frame he uses. God is Lord of time and not vice versa.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

waynes world wrote:I am certainly not justifying anything. I would say the reverse is just as true. The young earth view justifies what creationism insists on. God left the age of the earth out on purpose and unless we were there physically it would be unwise to insist one way or another. I have believed the stars would have to be a lot older than 10,000 years. I don't believe that God would make the stars look younger than they are just because he wants to accomidate creationism. I believe that time points to God not away from him and thats my biggest complaint against the YEC idea. We can worship God no matter what time frame he uses. God is Lord of time and not vice versa.
I agree if God left stuff out, and my interpretation is wrong that doesn't make God any less God. I don't see that the stars look old or young, those are interpretations. We do know that God streatched out the heavens and made the earth, and that he is the Holy God that Created.
SpaceCase
Familiar Member

Post by SpaceCase »

Jbuza wrote: I agree if God left stuff out, and my interpretation is wrong that doesn't make God any less God. I don't see that the stars look old or young, those are interpretations. We do know that God streatched out the heavens and made the earth, and that he is the Holy God that Created.
Amen to that... Jesus is the way. period.

An earlier post was talking about 'evening and morning, the first day' and such, but I remember reading somewhere (perhaps one of Gerald L. Schroeder's books, (love them)) that the Hebrew root of those words could actually mean 'disorder' and 'order'.
And if there is anything to that... it would read...
'from disorder to order, the first day'

Thoughts?
If I find where I read that I'll post it...
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

SpaceCase wrote:An earlier post was talking about 'evening and morning, the first day' and such, but I remember reading somewhere (perhaps one of Gerald L. Schroeder's books, (love them)) that the Hebrew root of those words could actually mean 'disorder' and 'order'.
And if there is anything to that... it would read...
'from disorder to order, the first day'

Thoughts?
If I find where I read that I'll post it...

I find it hard to reconcile anything but the plain meaning of the words, with what I know of God, or with how I understand God. I just cannot fathom the idea that it is cryptic. I think if it were not six days God wouldn't have said six days. IS it hard to understand because God is an awful communicator? I;m not trying to be harsh, and by all means if you are convinced what oyu believe is true than believe it, I just can't find my way away from a simple understanding.
SpaceCase
Familiar Member

Post by SpaceCase »

While that may be true (plain meaning of words) , I don't think the average individual can read through the Bible and comprehend it to the degree that it can be with a lifetime of intense study...

I am one of those average individuals, so then my question to you is:
Are you?

And if you are one of us average individuals, are you not:
'leaning on thine own understanding" ?

I'm not saying God is cryptic either, but also don't think the Bible is Simple...

Obviously I lean toward what feels right to me, as do you, but ideally we should trust someone who is both a Bible expert & a science expert...

But how many of those are out there? LOL
SpaceCase
Familiar Member

Post by SpaceCase »

And one other thing,
We do need to keep in mind when the Bible was written,
The adverage sheep hearder of the time, would not understand variable time passage in moving reference frames or gravity extremes...

Had God written the Bible as he might have for today, how confusing would that have been then?

just a thought...
8)
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

SpaceCase wrote:I don't think the average individual can read through the Bible and comprehend it to the degree that it can be with a lifetime of intense study...

hmmmm. perhaps. But didn't Jesus seem to indicate that the religios upper crust of his day weren't "getting it"? So we need someone who is an extremely wise man to interpret the Bible for us? I think that God did inspire the Bible so the average sheep hearder could understand it.
SpaceCase
Familiar Member

Post by SpaceCase »

Which is exactly my point. And the average sheep herder back then was not bickering about whether God meant 6 24hr days either.

So for anyone to say that 'God would have said it differently, if He meant it differently' is not necessarily true.

I'm sure 'A day is like a thousand years' twisted the minds of the SCHOLARS of the day, let alone the sheep herders.

GOD didn't just write the Bible for the 21 century.

So if we can read into this GREAT creation further because of the scientific knowledge of OUR time. AWESOME!!!