A question from Genesis

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
CazPerth
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

A question from Genesis

Post by CazPerth »

Hi there :)

I am new to being Christian and I am forever grateful to the Lord for bringing me into His fold. I came across something in Genesis that I just don't get, no matter which way I look at it so I hope some of you wise folks can explain it to me. God created everything including the first human and apparently had a plan to save us even after Adam sinned as God apparently knew he would). Why then did God not anticipate creating a female for Adam ? Genesis has Him bringing the animals to Adam to name and to see if a suitable companion is among them and only when none is found does he create Eve? What if Adam had fancied a sheep? Why is that passage even in there if God knows the beginning and the end he would know that Adam needed a female counterpart. Its a small thing but its bugging me :)

With love and faith
Carolyn
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Sex: Male

Re: A question from Genesis

Post by Silvertusk »

A lot of anthropomorphism is used in the Bible to relate God to concepts we can understand - for instance it seems like God was adapting to situations he did not know would come which is a very human quality - but really the whole thing was for Adam's benefit. God knew the outcome but he needed Adam to realise for himself. God does that a lot - he knows the outcomes but allows us to make the journey to figure out what he already knew. This is also a good quality in a manager.

Welcome to the board.

Silvertusk.
CazPerth
Recognized Member

Post by CazPerth »

Ok, so it is a way of illustrating that bestiality is a sin? None of the animals was suitable as a wife but Adam had to realize that for himself?
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

CazPerth wrote:Ok, so it is a way of illustrating that bestiality is a sin? None of the animals was suitable as a wife but Adam had to realize that for himself?
I guess that was one way of looking at it - but I don't think the text implies that Adam copulated with the animals.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

the thing is without female counterpart male genetic mechanism does not make sense, when apparently all the animals have female counterparts. unless God made human a pair together, or the story is simply an easy way to illustrate the point that God cares for man.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

CazPerth wrote:Hi there :)

I am new to being Christian and I am forever grateful to the Lord for bringing me into His fold. I came across something in Genesis that I just don't get, no matter which way I look at it so I hope some of you wise folks can explain it to me. God created everything including the first human and apparently had a plan to save us even after Adam sinned as God apparently knew he would). Why then did God not anticipate creating a female for Adam ? Genesis has Him bringing the animals to Adam to name and to see if a suitable companion is among them and only when none is found does he create Eve? What if Adam had fancied a sheep? Why is that passage even in there if God knows the beginning and the end he would know that Adam needed a female counterpart. Its a small thing but its bugging me :)

With love and faith
Carolyn

God knew that Adam ( and Eve) had the capacity to sin and that there was a very good chance they would and God gave them everything they need ( including warnings about what would happen if they did) for them NOT to sin BUT God can't go against free will, that would be going against His Divine nature.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

CazPerth wrote:Ok, so it is a way of illustrating that bestiality is a sin? None of the animals was suitable as a wife but Adam had to realize that for himself?
not just teach that beastiality is a sin . . . more like to show Adama that humans are set apart from the rest of creation in a special way. he learned his need for companionship, and that it could not be fulfilled by any animal. he needed someone like himself. that God gave Eve to Adam shows that she is a special gift, not simply another part of creation that he is to rule over. that has all kind of important theological and relational and marital applications.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

I sense another 'Tennessee' joke coming from Rick.

Tennessee, where men are men and the sheep are nervous. Baaahhhh
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

jlay wrote:I sense another 'Tennessee' joke coming from Rick.

Tennessee, where men are men and the sheep are nervous. Baaahhhh
Actually, that's northern Georgia. Right Jac? ;)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Actually the origin of that joke is Wales.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

We have the same joke/jokes for New Zealanders.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
ClassicalTeacher
Recognized Member

Post by ClassicalTeacher »

You guys are a hoot!!! I'm learning things here I never thought I'd learn here!! :esurprised: y:-?
CazPerth
Recognized Member

Post by CazPerth »

That joke is so old the Hebrews probably had it about Babylonians :)

But anyway, I think I get it now, the passage is to demonstrate that humans are above animals and that the union between man and woman is to be strong as we are literally of the same flesh. But could Moses have been just a bit more straightforward :econfused:
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

CazPerth wrote:That joke is so old the Hebrews probably had it about Babylonians :)

But anyway, I think I get it now, the passage is to demonstrate that humans are above animals and that the union between man and woman is to be strong as we are literally of the same flesh. But could Moses have been just a bit more straightforward :econfused:
they probably believed it word for word, literally.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

CazPerth wrote:That joke is so old the Hebrews probably had it about Babylonians :)

:lol: The whole bible could have been a little more straight forward, :lol: :lol: But then we would never have these discussion forums or our curiosity poked to go deeper.