Creation vs. evolution

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Celt
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Creation vs. evolution

Post by Celt »

Hello lads. Have a loved one who is pretty open minded, but leans toward the evolution side. So i'm looking for a good book that Ko's hard on the creation side vs. evolution. Somethin in laymans terms.
Someone had mentioned 'The Signature of God' - Grant Jeffrey, but i have not read it myself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time friends.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Re: Creation vs. evolution

Post by neo-x »

By open minded you mean, he is an open minded atheist, agnostic? or is he a christian who accepts evolution with faith?

If he is the former, I don't think you would change his mind with just a book which favors creationism; if he is the latter, I don't see why would you want to shift him from one view to another, specially when evolution is a fact?

Anyway, I know this does not precisely answer your question but nonetheless, you may clarify a bit and I think you will find members here who can advise books. I happen to accept evolution myself so I am afraid I don't have a book to suggest.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Celt
Familiar Member

Post by Celt »

Thanks neo. Guess i should have been a bit more clear. I was starting to think i was being shunned. 'She' believes in evolution without God, atheist. Interesting, the evolution and God approach, which is still a new concept to this greenhorn. She, however asks biblical questions often and not in a argumentative way.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Jilay, here is YEC that I know of who disregards evolution as in macro evolution and he may recommend some pro-creationism vs. evolution books. If he missed your post, good chance is to privately message him.

My personal recommendation would be to show her faith as it is, by that I mean, it is not a matter of specific science views such as evolution or non-scientific views such as creationism that ultimately holds the truth of Christianity. The thing is there is ample margin to go with either creationism or evolution, without sacrificing faith. So rather than trying to have her question established science, and introduce her to YEC, which in my personal opinion is more prone to cause people to leave Christian faith rather than embrace it, I would put more emphasis on Christ, christian love and apologetics.

I haven't read "The Signature of God" but from what I have heard it may be "too" much for someone who is unaware of theology. If I were you I'd give here "Mere Christianity" by C.S Lewis for starters.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Celt wrote:Thanks neo. Guess i should have been a bit more clear. I was starting to think i was being shunned. 'She' believes in evolution without God, atheist. Interesting, the evolution and God approach, which is still a new concept to this greenhorn. She, however asks biblical questions often and not in a argumentative way.
Celt, if she is really open -- and not just open to one side -- and wants a good introduction then highly recommend Unlocking the Mystery of Life.

You're in luck as it looks like it can even be found online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWvS1UfXl8k -- so you can even give it a going over to see if you feel it'd be relevant.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Celt
Familiar Member

Post by Celt »

Thanks guys. This is much appreciated.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

If she watches it, I'd be interested to know her feedback or reaction if you don't mind sharing.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Celt
Familiar Member

Post by Celt »

Kurieuo wrote:If she watches it, I'd be interested to know her feedback or reaction if you don't mind sharing.
Dont mind at all. As soon as she lets me know, i will post her reaction, comment(s). Thanks again.
coronado
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by coronado »

Post deleted by moderator. Off topic.
coronado
Newbie Member

Post by coronado »

Post deleted by moderator. Off topic.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Coronado,

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you had a look at the Board puporse and discussion guidelines here http://discussions.godandscience.org/viewforum.php?f=1
If you haven't yet, please do so.

Further, this thread is about literature recomendation on creation vs evolution.
You posted your opinions, but more appropriate place for that would be new thread created by you. So, according to your questions, find appropriate forum (like Questions for Christians or this one) and state them.

Function of a moderator is to watch threads and protect them from being derailed.

To all posters: If hot debate starts in this thread I will immediately lock it.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Hana, you were right. I deleted the last 2 posts.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
coronado
Newbie Member

Post by coronado »

coronado wrote:Post deleted by moderator. Off topic.
i cant understand why my posts were deleted, they were perfectly valid points of view!
coronado
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

neo-x wrote:Jilay, here is YEC that I know of who disregards evolution as in macro evolution and he may recommend some pro-creationism vs. evolution books. If he missed your post, good chance is to privately message him.

My personal recommendation would be to show her faith as it is, by that I mean, it is not a matter of specific science views such as evolution or non-scientific views such as creationism that ultimately holds the truth of Christianity. The thing is there is ample margin to go with either creationism or evolution, without sacrificing faith. So rather than trying to have her question established science, and introduce her to YEC, which in my personal opinion is more prone to cause people to leave Christian faith rather than embrace it, I would put more emphasis on Christ, christian love and apologetics.

I haven't read "The Signature of God" but from what I have heard it may be "too" much for someone who is unaware of theology. If I were you I'd give here "Mere Christianity" by C.S Lewis for starters.
Thanks Neo.
My arguments against Darwinism and macro evolution are less to do with the pro this v. that. In fact, I think both YEC and OEC are actually approaching the text wrong minded. As one who did this for the majority of my Christian life, I am still having to correct my thinking. It presumes that the Genesis creation account should, or must line up with scientific evidence. Or that science must line up with the Genesis account. Perhaps it does, but is that the central focus of the text?

When it comes to the issue you (Celt) are addressing here, I don't really see the point in attacking evolution, especially if they are open minded. I would be more inclined to ask why they think evolution (Darwinism) is the best explanation.
The real thing is to find out their worldview and why they hold it. We all believe in evolution to some degree. And as Neo can tell you, you can hold to macro evolution and still be a believer. If you can convince someone who is a Darwinists that God exists, without picking apart their entire worldview then why bother. If they genuinely place their trust in Christ, then they are just as saved as someone who rejects Darwinism.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

coronado wrote:
coronado wrote:Post deleted by moderator. Off topic.
i cant understand why my posts were deleted, they were perfectly valid points of view!
coronado
Coronado, if you have a question, or something to discuss, then you can start another thread.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony