Robert Ballard finding evidence of a Global Flood

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Robert Ballard finding evidence of a Global Flood

Post by RickD »

Sam1995 wrote:Quick question, were there people on every land mass in the world at that time? Because if not, a global flood doesn't logically add up

I don't know the answer to this, quite confident someone here does however ;)

SB
Sam, it depends on what "that time" really was. It's Hugh Ross' belief and Rich Deem's, that the entire population of the world lived in one area at the time of the biblical flood. So, while the flood wasn't global, it was universal, in that it killed all human life except for eight.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

Quick question, were there people on every land mass in the world at that time? Because if not, a global flood doesn't logically add up

I don't know the answer to this, quite confident someone here does however

SB
Depends on when you think the global flood happened. If you take to to be less than 6000 years ago like most young-Earth creationists believe, then yes, there is loads of evidence to suggest humans had spread to most parts of the world. If you believe it happened more like 30,000 to 40,000 years ago, then humans would not have spread nearly as far.

Based mainly on mitochondrial genetics and archaeological finds, maps like this are useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map-o ... ations.jpg

Each colored ring shows the general time frame when humans (homo sapiens) reached that part of the world, in thousands of years.
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

Thanks for your responses guys, something to think about!
Well, I am an OEC so I'll be looking at this from that perspective!

You're all great people! Pleasure to be a part of the forum!

SB :wave:
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Sam1995 wrote:Thanks for your responses guys, something to think about!

Here Sam. Not sure if you saw this yet:
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... flood.html
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

RickD wrote:
Sam1995 wrote:Thanks for your responses guys, something to think about!

Here Sam. Not sure if you saw this yet:
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... flood.html
Aye, I had seen it only a couple of days ago - made some good points!

SB y:-?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Bible believing Christians worried about evidence that might actually support a global flood. Interesting.
Your statement somehow comes like "if you believe in bible than global flood is a no brainer."?
When we say something has a global impact, we are saying it effects the whole world.
The geography matters most, was the earth's landmass the same as it today, were humans present in Australia or america when this flood occurred?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

neo-x wrote:
Bible believing Christians worried about evidence that might actually support a global flood. Interesting.
Your statement somehow comes like "if you believe in bible than global flood is a no brainer."?
When we say something has a global impact, we are saying it effects the whole world.
The geography matters most, was the earth's landmass the same as it today, were humans present in Australia or america when this flood occurred?
You can take the statement however you like. The statement is just what it is, questioning why Christians (OEC) would be so opposed to evidence that might align with a global flood event.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

jlay wrote:
neo-x wrote:
You can take the statement however you like. The statement is just what it is, questioning why Christians (OEC) would be so opposed to evidence that might align with a global flood event.
Not really opposing, simply trying to find what makes the most sense within scripture :)

SB
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jlay wrote:
Jlay, I'm confused. How does your questioning why OEC Christians are opposed to evidence that might align with a global flood, follow from the article that presents no evidence for a global flood?

Bart titled this thread "Robert Ballard finding evidence for a global flood". Where in the article does Ballard offer evidence of a global flood?

I have no problem discussing evidence of a global flood, if someone presents such evidence. I wasn't even having a problem with a global flood in this thread. My problem is in why Bart titled the thread the way he did.

If Bart started this thread with the intentions of stirring the pot, he succeeded.

-Edward R Murrow

Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Sorry for confusion on the Thread Title. I didn't mean to overstate the claims of the article.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Rick,

I read the article. Agreed, it only presents evidence of a major flood around the time of Noah. No where in this have I argued for a global flood.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious