Nephesh/soulish creatures

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Nephesh/soulish creatures

Post by RickD »

Kenzel wrote:
So, what category would angels fit into?
Kenzel, Dom has made it clear that according to him, there are only three categories of existence. Therefore, according to Dom's three categories:
In my view, there are only 3 catorgories of existence.
1. God (Perfect in all ways)
2. Human minds and souls (non physical, imperfect, mental substance)
3. Physical objects (spatial extension, physical objects)
Angels are either #3, Physical objects, or angels don't exist.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Every living creature has/is a soul ( the has/is thing is really NOT that important), the bible is clear on that.
It is NOT clear on whether vegetation has one, there is no mention that they ( vegetation, fauna, flora, etc) have/are souls.
Humans are NOT unique because they have/are a soul, they are unique because they have/are spirit as well.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Human Beings are unique because we are made in the image of God.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

PaulS wrote:
Humans are NOT unique because they have/are a soul, they are unique because they have/are spirit as well.
Canuckster wrote:

Could you both be correct? Since God is a spirit, and He created us in His image, maybe our being spiritual creatures, is what made in God's image means? And also what makes us unique?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
Canuckster wrote:

Could you both be correct? Since God is a spirit, and He created us in His image, maybe our being spiritual creatures, is what made in God's image means? And also what makes us unique?
Yes, what makes us unique and in the image of God is that we have a spirit, a spirit given to us by God.
That is what makes us in God's image.
domokunrox
Valued Member

Post by domokunrox »

Bart,

I am not being egotistical. I am not concerned at all with winning this argument. Rick can believe that animals have a soul if he wants. I came here and replied to Rick to show that there is a harsh lesson in this and WE ALL need to be more careful BEFORE we engage in a philosophical discussion.

The lesson is, don't bring a knife to the gunfight.

Again, Rick, you seem to be more convinced in using nature to prove metaphysics. This is commonly rejected if you are talking philosophy. If you understood this, we would be debating a structure of metaphysics or you'd just walk from it because you understand my position well enough to just disagree or agree with me.

Again, a misunderstanding on the part that existence falls in 3 categories. Citing angels is incompatible with dualism philosophy shows you have a severe misunderstanding. Your argument is actually unhelpful, too by the way for someone who presupposes naturalism reading the argument. It just flat out looks atheist with a 1 track mind.

In either case, I encourage you to get involved in philosophy because its very useful, but you going ti need to be asking more questions instead before you take a side. I would be glad to provide you with some links to some basic philosophy videos if you are interested.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Dom, you say you're no being egotistical and then you follow up with "don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Step outside yourself and read what you wrote through the eyes of someone who takes that as condescending and speaking down to them.

I'm not picking on you. I have to do the same thing and I'm as in need of this reminder as constantly as anyone.

Education is a helpful thing. It doesn't replace kindness or patience however and what is more, whether you realize it or not, it closes people to your desired message.

Please think about it.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender