Christian doctrine of creation ?

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
twinc
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Christian doctrine of creation ?

Post by twinc »

"in the beginning in an instant on each of 6 x 24hr days out of nothing God created everything very good[complete]" = no millions of years of evolution necessary or possible - must all Christians accept this rather than the many other way out,weird and wacky alternatives being offered - twinc
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Christian doctrine of creation ?

Post by RickD »

twinc wrote:"in the beginning in an instant on each of 6 x 24hr days out of nothing God created everything very good[complete]" = no millions of years of evolution necessary or possible - must all Christians accept this rather than the many other way out,weird and wacky alternatives being offered - twinc
No, twinc. All Christians don't need to accept that "yom" means 24 hours. There is more than one literal meaning for the word "yom", that has been translated as "day", in Genesis.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

they most certainly have to to keep the sabbath or the 30 days of the flood or the 3days of the Resurrection - so why the urge or hankering to accept way out,weird and wacky alternatives - come back home soon - twinc
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

twinc wrote:they most certainly have to to keep the sabbath or the 30 days of the flood or the 3days of the Resurrection - so why the urge or hankering to accept way out,weird and wacky alternatives - come back home soon - twinc
Oh, ok. I get it. Where's Alan Funt? Where's the camera?

Twinc, what in the Sam Hill, are you talking about?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

jon510
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by jon510 »

If some one says, "back in the day" then we know they aren't talking about a 24 hour period of time because the reference is obviously about a different time. But when scripture says...

"And the evening and the morning were the first day." Why would we presume a figure of speech referring to the time of creation when the descriptor words preceding "day" (yom) are "evening" & "morning" thus describing a literal day?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

jon510 wrote:If some one says, "back in the day" then we know they aren't talking about a 24 hour period of time because the reference is obviously about a different time. But when scripture says...

"And the evening and the morning were the first day." Why would we presume a figure of speech referring to the time of creation when the descriptor words preceding "day" (yom) are "evening" & "morning" thus describing a literal day?
Jon510 first. welcome to the site and thanks for coontributing.

The answer to your question is because we're reading the Genesis account in Hebrew and recognizing Hebrew idioms rather than English. The phrase as used in Genesis to a Hebrew denoted an idiomatic understanding that said that this was a defined period of time. This is particularly evident because the elements necessary to define a 24 hour day were not present in the first 3 days denoted in Genesis. A similar metaphor in English might be the way that we speak of a the birth of Isaac Newton and could call it the dawn of the day of modern science. Similarly the 'death' of the USSR could be referred to as a sunset to the day of communism.

There are similar uses in English but in the end we're reading in Hebrew and have to put it in the cultural context and idiomatic use of phrases in the Hebrew Culture in place at the times it was written.

It's my opinion, but I think a lot of the confusion that comes from many YEC positions invoking the simplest literal understanding rides roughshod over the Hebrew Language and the Hebrew Culture and attempts to thrust a 3,500 year old document into English syntax and 20th century scientific parameters. It just doesn't fit in that way, nor should it.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

When talking about a baseball player's career, I might reference the "dawn" of his playing days or when he was in the "twilight" of his career. Am I referring to literally the morning that he woke up and started playing? Of course not. Times of day can be figurative too. Especially when prior to there being a sun and the Earth, there was no such thing as a "day" to start with.
jon510
Acquainted Member

Post by jon510 »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
jon510 wrote:If some one says, "back in the day" then we know they aren't talking about a 24 hour period of time because the reference is obviously about a different time. But when scripture says...

Jon510 first. welcome to the site and thanks for coontributing.

The answer to your question is because we're reading the Genesis account in Hebrew and recognizing Hebrew idioms rather than English. The phrase as used in Genesis to a Hebrew denoted an idiomatic understanding that said that this was a defined period of time. This is particularly evident because the elements necessary to define a 24 hour day were not present in the first 3 days denoted in Genesis. A similar metaphor in English might be the way that we speak of a the birth of Isaac Newton and could call it the dawn of the day of modern science. Similarly the 'death' of the USSR could be referred to as a sunset to the day of communism.

There are similar uses in English but in the end we're reading in Hebrew and have to put it in the cultural context and idiomatic use of phrases in the Hebrew Culture in place at the times it was written.

It's my opinion, but I think a lot of the confusion that comes from many YEC positions invoking the simplest literal understanding rides roughshod over the Hebrew Language and the Hebrew Culture and attempts to thrust a 3,500 year old document into English syntax and 20th century scientific parameters. It just doesn't fit in that way, nor should it.
Thank you. The embolden part of your response truly answered my question. It helps to step back and look at the context of what's being said, and in this case you helped me to do that. And I agree, to read a 3500 year old document as if it were a modern scientific journal is just insane. And it causes Christians to look foolish.
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

the appeal in both and all such cases is to basic logic and commonsense = so the 30 days of the flood were not 24hr days but 30 thousand years or more,the sabbath came round once in 7 thousand years or more and Christ is not yet risen for 3 thousand years have not yet passed - come home soon - btw even with 30 thousand years of rain some still insist it was only a local flood - why oh why prefer to accept or hanker after the way out,weird and wacky rather than the original - hurry back home - twinc
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

so the 30 days of the flood were not 24hr days but 30 thousand years or more
what makes you think that a single day is equal to a 1000 year period?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

twinc wrote:the appeal in both and all such cases is to basic logic and commonsense = so the 30 days of the flood were not 24hr days but 30 thousand years or more,the sabbath came round once in 7 thousand years or more and Christ is not yet risen for 3 thousand years have not yet passed - come home soon - btw even with 30 thousand years of rain some still insist it was only a local flood - why oh why prefer to accept or hanker after the way out,weird and wacky rather than the original - hurry back home - twinc

The word Yom does not always mean a 24 hour day, it depends on context. In the flood account it means 24 hours, in genesis it means a period of time as "in the age of the Romans" and it can also mean a 12 hour period of time but I am not sure of an example for that one ( maybe someone else has an example).

Here is some info regarding a local flood account http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... flood.html

Here is a creation account of long creation days http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth ... fense.html

These are just interpretation of ancient documents, you can believe Y.E.C position if you like but stop misunderstanding our position, educate yourself on what we believe and then present your argument.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
jon510
Acquainted Member

Post by jon510 »

the appeal in both and all such cases is to basic logic and commonsense...
I think what we must keep in mind is that the Bible is NOT a science book. The days of creation can be literal or they may not be, it really doesn't matter in the end. Because the whole point of scripture is to let us know what is possible with God is impossible for us. If it were any other way we would be able to prove God out right and the whole consequence for having no faith in God's word, (the fall) would not be; thus making faith in God a house of cards. I think we both know that isn't the case. God demands faith in him, always has, always will. So at some point when we reach the threshold where "logic and common sense" can no longer carry us; we must "trust God with all our hearts and lean not on our own understanding." If we can't... then we might as well be atheists.
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

no you must not educate yourself - the establishment has to educate you and certify that you are qualified e.g.even after Pasteur proved otherwise I am led to believe that your position is that life did not come from life but evolved from nothing as a result of a Big Bang - twinc
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

twinc wrote:no you must not educate yourself - the establishment has to educate you and certify that you are qualified e.g.even after Pasteur proved otherwise I am led to believe that your position is that life did not come from life but evolved from nothing as a result of a Big Bang - twinc
Twinc, life cannot come from non-life. What if the big bang was exactly what God used to create the universe? God who is life, created life. If you can see outside your concrete YEC box, you could understand that the big bang is biblical.

-Edward R Murrow

twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

RickD wrote:
twinc wrote:no you must not educate yourself - the establishment has to educate you and certify that you are qualified e.g.even after Pasteur proved otherwise I am led to believe that your position is that life did not come from life but evolved from nothing as a result of a Big Bang - twinc
Twinc, life cannot come from non-life. What if the big bang was exactly what God used to create the universe? God who is life, created life. If you can see outside your concrete YEC box, you could understand that the big bang is biblical.
nonsense - the Big Bang never ever was nor could be and is not Biblical nor Christian doctrine of creation but a fudge and a fake and a con for the vital ingredient is fudged - everything was created in an instant on each of 6 x 24hr days very good[complete] and not after millions of years of evolution - come home now or make it soon - twinc