dinosaurs and man coexisted?

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Anonymous
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#16

Post by Anonymous » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:31 am

There are no fossil evidence of human(homo-sapiens) dating back to the period of dinosaurs. Therefore its resonable to say dinosaurs came first, then humans. Would that contradict what the bible says about creation?

Anonymous
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#17

Post by Anonymous » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:40 am

nameless wrote:There are no fossil evidence of human(homo-sapiens) dating back to the period of dinosaurs. Therefore its resonable to say dinosaurs came first, then humans. Would that contradict what the bible says about creation?
It would not contradict the Bible. I find it odd people who often claim science is flawed attempt to use science to prove a point; speaking of those who claim dinos coexisted with man.

User avatar
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:22 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#18

Post by Mastermind » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:57 am

I believe we might have, yet the rest of what you say doesn't apply to me. How peculiar... ;)

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 10029
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 650 times
Been liked: 671 times

#19

Post by Kurieuo » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:06 am

Nothing solid can be drawn from the Bible about dinosaurs, however, mankind came last out of all the creation.

YECs (Young-Earth Creationists) interpret dinosaurs as being created on the same "24 hour" day as mankind (although before mankind), and will strongly argue for dinosaurs' existence alongside of humanity. In their eyes, if dinosaurs are found alongside mankind, then claims of dinosaurs existing about 200 million years old can't be true. Thus, they maintain their young earth theory.

On the other hand Day-Age Creationists believe dinosaurs also existed before mankind, and are quite happy to say dinosaurs existed about 200 million years ago, with modern humankind coming onto the scene last and relatively recently. RTB (who are Day-Age proponents) have developed a creation timeline if you're interested (see http://www.reasons.org/resources/apolog ... ndex.shtml).

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

Anonymous
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#20

Post by Anonymous » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:33 pm

Mastermind wrote:their supposed extinction. Maybe something like the lost world.
What do you believe caused their extinction?

Anonymous
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#21

Post by Anonymous » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:37 pm

Mastermind wrote:I believe we might have, yet the rest of what you say doesn't apply to me. How peculiar... ;)
What do you base your belief on?

Anonymous
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#22

Post by Anonymous » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:43 pm

Kurieuo wrote:Nothing solid can be drawn from the Bible about dinosaurs, however, mankind came last out of all the creation.

YECs (Young-Earth Creationists) interpret dinosaurs as being created on the same "24 hour" day as mankind (although before mankind), and will strongly argue for dinosaurs' existence alongside of humanity. In their eyes, if dinosaurs are found alongside mankind, then claims of dinosaurs existing about 200 million years old can't be true. Thus, they maintain their young earth theory.

On the other hand Day-Age Creationists believe dinosaurs also existed before mankind, and are quite happy to say dinosaurs existed about 200 million years ago, with modern humankind coming onto the scene last and relatively recently. RTB (who are Day-Age proponents) have developed a creation timeline if you're interested (see http://www.reasons.org/resources/apolog ... ndex.shtml).

Kurieuo.
I agree with RTB. I believe dinos lived about 200 million years ago. The Bible really does not address dinos specifically. In that case, why not rely on modern science, as long as it does not contradict God's word?

User avatar
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:22 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#23

Post by Mastermind » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:43 pm

I have no idea what caused their extinction. I think it was a meteor, but there has been some recent data that says it might have been something else. At any rate, the behemoth described in the book of Job does sound like a dinosaur. I never said they did for sure. Note the word "might have". The idea that isolated pockets of dinosaurs might have survived doesn't sound that far fetched to me.

User avatar
Prodigal Son
Senior Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:49 pm
Christian: No
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#24

Post by Prodigal Son » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:06 pm


Anonymous
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#25

Post by Anonymous » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:48 pm

Mastermind wrote:I have no idea what caused their extinction. I think it was a meteor, but there has been some recent data that says it might have been something else. At any rate, the behemoth described in the book of Job does sound like a dinosaur. I never said they did for sure. Note the word "might have". The idea that isolated pockets of dinosaurs might have survived doesn't sound that far fetched to me.
First of all, I understand your point of view. I know you have used "might have." I am just curious as to why you believe what you do. Just a little discussion. I am having fun. Please do not take it the wrong way. I did not mean to generalize people who believe dinos "might have" walked with man.

So you are saying dinos lived about 200 millions year ago and then an event came along which practically wiped them out. The dinos that happened to be left survived long enough to walk with man. Is that right? If so, I can live with that, although I diagree. :)

User avatar
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:22 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#26

Post by Mastermind » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:55 pm

basically yes. I don't know about walking with man, but maybe a few sightings here and there.

User avatar
Prodigal Son
Senior Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:49 pm
Christian: No
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#27

Post by Prodigal Son » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:55 pm

sofa,

there are the "myths" of dragons. most myths have some basis in reality. i have some more articles which discuss drawings of dinosaurs in caves alongside woolly mammoths; and pictures of dinosaurs painted on vases of ancient cultures. if you are really interested, i'll look for those articles for you.

Anonymous
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#28

Post by Anonymous » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:00 pm

By the way, if you took Job 40 and 41 "literally" this is what the "dinos" would look like. :lol:

Image

Image

User avatar
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:22 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#29

Post by Mastermind » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:03 pm

the artist clearly did not read the bible before he made those...

User avatar
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:22 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#30

Post by Mastermind » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:08 pm

now that i've reread the passages, i think it sounds more like a dragon.

Locked