the "eclipse"

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Prodigal Son
Christian: No

the "eclipse"

Post by Prodigal Son »

since it's been determined that the "eclipse" at Jesus' crucifixion couldn't be an eclipse (because there was a full moon at that time), how does science explain what happened?
New Creation
2 Corinthians 5:7
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

cloudy day?
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Re: the "eclipse"

Post by Believer »

Prodigal Son wrote:since it's been determined that the "eclipse" at Jesus' crucifixion couldn't be an eclipse (because there was a full moon at that time), how does science explain what happened?
I would have to say, during that time when Jesus was on the Earth and the heavenly Father watched over him, laws of nature were changed, and something out of the oridinary happened. Remember the old saying "God works in mysterious ways", I hold true to that.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

To quote something which adds credibility to the eclipse as recorded in the Gospels:
Thallus: (52 A.D.)

One of the first secular writers that mentioned Christ. Thallus wrote a history of the Eastern Mediterranean world from the Trojan War to his own time. Unfortunately, his writings are only found as citations by others. Julius Africanus, a Christian who wrote about AD 221 mentioned Thallus' account of an eclipse of the sun (Luke 23:44-45).

"On the whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness; and the rocks were rent by an earthquake, and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down. This darkness Thallus, in the third book of his History, calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of the sun. [For the Hebrews celebrate the passover on the 14th day according to the moon, and the passion of our Savior falls on the day before the passover; but an eclipse of the sun takes place only when the moon comes under the sun. And it cannot happen at any other time but in the interval between the first day of the new moon and the last of the old, that is, at their junction: how then should an eclipse occur when the moon is almost diametrically opposite the sun?]" (addition in brackets from http://www.neverthirsty.org/pp/hist/thallus.html)

Julius Africanus, Chronography, 18:1.

PHLEGON: (1st Century)

A secular historian wrote a history named, "Chronicles." This original work has been lost, Julius Africanus preserved a small fragment in his writings. Phlegon mentions the eclipse (Matthew 27:45) during the crucifixion of Jesus.

"During the time of Tiberius Caesar an eclipse of the sun occurred during the full moon."

Africanus, Chronography, 18:1.

Secular Historians Outside The Bible That Record Jesus Christ And Christianity
Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Mastermind wrote:cloudy day?
Even "stupid" people in the past would know the difference between a cloudy sky and a dark sky...
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
Even "stupid" people in the past would know the difference between a cloudy sky and a dark sky...
Oh? There's a metaphysical property of clouds that makes light passing through them 100% efficient, thus making it unable for clouds to cause darkness that I didn't know about?
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

Mastermind wrote:
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
Oh? There's a metaphysical property of clouds that makes light passing through them 100% efficient, thus making it unable for clouds to cause darkness that I didn't know about?
No but, when you look up in the sky and see a lot of clouds, that's generally a pretty good indication of it's not an eclipse, but a cloudy day. People 2000 years ago didn't know much about science, but they aren't that stupid to confuse clouds with a mysterious eclipse. And even an overcast lets some light through, even rainy clouds. Clouds can be dark and block light, but they're essentially only water, they can't block much light, not enough to make a "total darkness".
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Mastermind, there is a distinct difference between a cloudy sky and a dark sky. I've been out in the middle of the day and it looked as if it was dark, it felt like it was nightime, but I could distinctly see the dark clouds which were the cause of the problem...
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Is there ANY option for God's intervention during those times which broke the laws of everything?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Where does it say HOW the sky was darkened? All it says was that it was dark. no mention of an eclipse...
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Mastermind wrote:Where does it say HOW the sky was darkened? All it says was that it was dark. no mention of an eclipse...
Luk 23:45 And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

bizzt wrote:
Mastermind wrote:Where does it say HOW the sky was darkened? All it says was that it was dark. no mention of an eclipse...
Luk 23:45 And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.
cloud gets between earth and sun

moon gets between earth and sun.

same effect, different object to block the light.

Is there an EXACT quote that says it was an eclipse? Otherwise it's all guessing.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

Mastermind wrote:
bizzt wrote:

Is there an EXACT quote that says it was an eclipse? Otherwise it's all guessing.
From the Bible there is no word that SAYS eclipse. Was the word even known? :?

As quoted above by K

One of the first secular writers that mentioned Christ. Thallus wrote a history of the Eastern Mediterranean world from the Trojan War to his own time. Unfortunately, his writings are only found as citations by others. Julius Africanus, a Christian who wrote about AD 221 mentioned Thallus' account of an eclipse of the sun (Luke 23:44-45).

"On the whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness; and the rocks were rent by an earthquake, and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down. This darkness Thallus, in the third book of his History, calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of the sun. [For the Hebrews celebrate the passover on the 14th day according to the moon, and the passion of our Savior falls on the day before the passover; but an eclipse of the sun takes place only when the moon comes under the sun. And it cannot happen at any other time but in the interval between the first day of the new moon and the last of the old, that is, at their junction: how then should an eclipse occur when the moon is almost diametrically opposite the sun?]" (addition in brackets from http://www.neverthirsty.org/pp/hist/thallus.html)

A secular historian wrote a history named, "Chronicles." This original work has been lost, Julius Africanus preserved a small fragment in his writings. Phlegon mentions the eclipse (Matthew 27:45) during the crucifixion of Jesus.

"During the time of Tiberius Caesar an eclipse of the sun occurred during the full moon."

Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

bizzt wrote:
Mastermind wrote:
bizzt wrote:

From the Bible there is no word that SAYS eclipse. Was the word even known? :?

As quoted above by K

yes, i am aware that there was an eclipse at that time, however it does not mean that it was the eclipse that darkened the sky. If you guys rely on the eclipse for proof, and it should turn out to be wrong, it will chew away at your faith needlessly.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

True but it might not be wrong. The bible said that the sun was blocked out. It could have been Clouds :? or it could have been an Eclipse (don't really care what it was)... All I know is what God's word says and it got Dark after Jesus Died!!