The Myth of The Missing Day

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Anonymous

The Myth of The Missing Day

Post by Anonymous »

I have recently heard about this from a Christian College Professor speaking to my College group in proving the validity of the Bible. I thought that that was truely amazing and had to do some reasearch on it. Come to find out it is only supposed to be an urban legend. I just wanted to get your take on this topic which is a pretty big piece of evidence for Christ if it is true. If you have no idea what I am talking about, check it out here

http://www.snopes.com/religion/lostday.htm
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

They're right, it is impossible to figure out if the sun stood still or not through astronomical means. On the other hand, their lack of knowledge of how the bible came to us (MANY translations? What the hell?), as well as snopes' general ineptitude means that anything they say should be further verified.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
Battlehelmet
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by Battlehelmet »

Mastermind wrote:They're right, it is impossible to figure out if the sun stood still or not through astronomical means. On the other hand, their lack of knowledge of how the bible came to us (MANY translations? What the hell?), as well as snopes' general ineptitude means that anything they say should be further verified.
Joshua 10.12 O' sun stand still over Gibeon, O moon, over the Valley of Aijalon. So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, till the nation avenged itself on it's enemies.

You're awful quick to jump in and start working the art of skepticism on this brand new registered Christian poster who made the OP mr Mastermind skeptic. For you to even talk down on snopes.com is ludicrous in itself.Why are you like that? You are skeptical character. Don't forget though, I love skilled and challenging Bible skeptics.
Dan
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by Dan »

The bible is not an scientific way of verifying the missing day, just because we know the bible is true doesn't it can be used against skeptics. Scientific methods must be used and in this case it's impossible.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Bible skeptic? A few words of advice:

* Learn basic English
* Learn to read
* Understand the basics of reading comprehension(this one is a must)
* get it through your thick skull that I'm not a "bible skeptic", an "atheist", or a skeptic of any sort. I'm just as Christian as you are. Where the hell you got the idea that I'm a "bible skeptic" is, again, beyond human comprehension.

And by all means tell me the astronomical means by which we may figure out if the sun stood still in the past.

I never said it didn't stand still. All I said is we can't use astronomy to figure it out. This is where the reading comprehension mentioned above comes in handy. And snopes is written by a programmer and his wife who sits home alone with her seven cats. I'll ridicule it all I want.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

For once I agree, Mastermind hasn't done anything wrong, I agree with his statement-you can't do anything to prove the missing day occured. You don't know in what alignment the planets started, and even if you did, you probably have to do a lot of guessing.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous