Can you find any flaws in this argument?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Kurieuo wrote:In what way does string theory work against God?

Kurieuo.
I believe it removes the need for a beginning to the universe.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
Dan
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by Dan »

Mastermind wrote:

Kurieuo.
Actually it doesn't. :D String Theory operates with the Big Bang and the beginning of the universe. One of it's main purposes is to find out just what happened during the very very first instances of the beginning. It's like taking a peek at Christ's blueprints.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Mastermind wrote:

Kurieuo.
Whoever lead you to believe that likely misinformed or confused you (Ipazia?).

String theory with its 11 space-time dimensions is able to unify all known forces. Therefore, there is no reason to posit a breakdown in laws during Planck time, such as the space-time theorem of general relativity which tells us the universe has a beginning.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Alien
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Re: Can you find any flaws in this argument?

Post by Alien »

Dan wrote: The origin of the universe NEEDS time to start because if it never started than entropy would take over.
Sorry, I don't understand what do you mean by that.

An expanding universe, expanding since ever, asymptotically tending to zero (as time goes back) but never reaching zero dimensions, is compatible with an entropy always increasing, and does not require any singularity.

If you tend to asymptote 1/x with x->0, you don't need any singularity 1/0.
Dan wrote: Even if the universe were to "restart" so to speak because of cataclysmic events, the entropy would still increase and so the universe COULDN'T be eternal.
At a certain point in time, an expanding universe might revert the expansion and start to compress again. This might have happened already before the "Big Bang", and, again, would not need a singularity.
Dan wrote: That is, unless you want to except the possibility that your memories don't exist, all records of past events are unreliable, and the entire universe in this current state materialized randomly as a mathematical curiosity ;)
This is really interesting, but, again, I am struggling to follow you....

Look, my basic idea was that a space-time singularity is not really necessary. And, as far as I understand, this is also an idea of many scientists.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Kurieuo wrote:
Mastermind wrote:

Kurieuo.
Whoever lead you to believe that likely misinformed or confused you (Ipazia?).

String theory with its 11 space-time dimensions is able to unify all known forces. Therefore, there is no reason to posit a breakdown in laws during Planck time, such as the space-time theorem of general relativity which tells us the universe has a beginning.

Kurieuo.
Yes, it was ipazia, although she wasn't the first person to tell me that. I just assumed that since I had heard it before, it was true.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?