Existence of soul

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
nico
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Existence of soul

Post by nico »

Hello everyone!
I'm sorry in advance for my English, because I come from Poland and English isn't my mother tongue. I don't know if there was such a topic here, I haven't found anyone, and if it was, forgive me. Well, I've always thought that I'm quite religious person, for about six months, however I've had some kind of doubts in faith. Recently I started to read a lot about the relationship between religion and science, about God, his existence and all about that staff. I found this page and some other sites and arguments and you can say that they convinced me to believe. However, I have the impression that there is one topic that is often overlooked in such discussions and by apologists, and which draws me towards deism (I understand it in the way God creates the world, but does not interfere with it and does not provide us with an afterlife) - the existence of the soul. It is depressing that most scientists, scholars, and philosophers who are ready to accept the very existence of God consider the question of life after death as a fairy tale and think that we are only a collection of cells or meat.

Do you know of any scientific arguments for the existence of the soul and life after death? I am not talking about NDE, because to be honest it is quite doubtful and unreliable, I think and often does not coincide with the Christian faith.
Could you recommend me some philosophers, cognitive scientists, or better - neurobiologists (because there are unfortunately almost no Christians among them) who support or consider the existence of a soul / consciousness that can survive death? I know about Swinburne, Sam Parnia and Peter Fenwick, but I'm not sure if these are the only one who work on it. How to convince atheists or non-believers about this?
any works, articles, books?
I would be grateful.

PS. I love this site and I think that I will write something more than once, because I have quite a lot of questions for you. :D
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Existence of soul

Post by Philip »

Nico: Hello everyone! I'm sorry in advance for my English, because I come from Poland and English isn't my mother tongue. I don't know if there was such a topic here, I haven't found anyone, and if it was, forgive me.
Hello, Nico, and welcome to the G&S forums! As to your questions about the soul, here's some good reading for you:

viewtopic.php?p=250486#p250486
nico
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Existence of soul

Post by nico »

that's what I've been looking for.
Thanks!