Theories - Creation & Evolution Cancel Each Other Out?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Doc wrote:
You do not need "scientific proof" that creation is a fact.
Exactly right. I think we agree mostly, although I have a different approach, and I'm probably hung up on semantics too.
The basics of creationism are not a theory. It's more of a belief.
Faith? The same that scientists have when they look at specifics and come to universal conclusions...
I also wanted to point out that the vast majority of scientists are evolutionist so of course science is making leaps and bounds towards substantiating evolution.
At least that is what they keep telling us. :lol:
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

JesusFreak wrote:I'm Confused :oops:
Sorry. What I'm asking is whether you think it's ok to consider what the Bible says as 'a theory?'

P.S. I think the quotes apply based on the fact that like has been said, the whole concept is never even really considered a theory. There are theories about small portions which lead to debates on doctrine, etc. but that is different from my question which is really designed to show that belief or unbelief in the Bible is not a matter of science and theories specifically, but rather a matter of Faith.
hermitville101
Recognized Member

Post by hermitville101 »

But faith, to be solid, should be based on fact and reason. It would be foolish to believe something simply because someone says so or just because it's written in a holy book. (No disrespect to the Bible) Logic, reason, and science all give evidence of the validity of God, Jesus, and the Bible. ...just my soapbox about faith. I'll stop before I bore everyone I supopse. A lot of people make it out to be something way to flimsy and foolish.
Felgar wrote:Sorry. What I'm asking is whether you think it's ok to consider what the Bible says as 'a theory?'

I wouldn't call anything directly stated in the Bible a theory. I would probably call it a belief, though the word belief doesn't convey everything I want it to, but such is English (and all other languages I suspect) :-/
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

I completely agree Hermit... Now that my bit as devil's advocate is over, does that make a little more sense to you JF?
hermitville101
Recognized Member

Post by hermitville101 »

Yay! Someone agrees with me! :) That makes me happy, thanks. :)
August
Old School

Post by August »

But faith, to be solid, should be based on fact and reason. It would be foolish to believe something simply because someone says so or just because it's written in a holy book. (No disrespect to the Bible) Logic, reason, and science all give evidence of the validity of God, Jesus, and the Bible
Here is where things get interesting. Where do your perceptions of fact and reason come from?
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Now we descend into the murky depths of philosophy, where no sane man has gone before *evil laugh.*

Creation and evolution are both theories. The fact, though, is that the media and your science professors display evolution as fact, and creationism as faith (when, in fact, both must be taken on faith as we can't see them occur and scientifically study them). Both cannot be proved, but more evidence exists for creation than evolution. Most things toted as proof of evolution are in fact good at disproving the likelyhood of it. Fossil record being the most ironic example. The law of biogenesis which says that life comes from life is another example that makes me laugh.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

August wrote:
But faith, to be solid, should be based on fact and reason. It would be foolish to believe something simply because someone says so or just because it's written in a holy book. (No disrespect to the Bible) Logic, reason, and science all give evidence of the validity of God, Jesus, and the Bible
Here is where things get interesting. Where do your perceptions of fact and reason come from?
God. :) If God exists, we have every reason to trust our sense perceptions. If He doesn't, well we can choose not to trust them, but I don't think we'd live as long.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
August
Old School

Post by August »

Aaah, stealing my thunder. :)

Observation by itself cannot give us truth.

AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Someone needs to start a new thread under the nature of being section, so we can talk epistemology (oh my spelling is horrible probably). Because, if you believe you were brought about random chance, you can't really trust your thoughts, because isn't your brain the result of chance in a cosmic machine that runs on cause and effect? And since we're just a bunch of DNA in cells, every action is a result of our genetics, right? Oh and you can go on and on, and if you get a smarter person, you can go on in a manner that makes more sense.

I'd start the thread but my threads end up dying horrible deaths.

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Then stop making them. :P
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

:P That's why I asked someone else to do it.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Asking somebody else to make topics using your bad ideas won't make the topics any better. :wink:
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

You can't get any meaner than that I guess. :cry:

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
hermitville101
Recognized Member

Post by hermitville101 »

Sounded like a good idea to me. :)