old earth v's Young earth

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Deborah
Christian: No

Post by Deborah »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:No, I said I have not and probably won't find a peer reviewed article. While you're telling me this, find me a peer reviewed article that says how Lucy isn't a missing link, or that Neanderthall isn't.....
they are part of a missing link but huge parts are still missing.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Lucy...is a pgymy chimpanzee, and a male....not a link (still taught as one). Can't remember all about Neanderthall man...human with some problems I can't remember.
Last edited by AttentionKMartShoppers on Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Lucy...is a pgymy chimpanzee, and a male....not a link (still taught as one). Can't remember all about Neanderthall man...
they could be part of the chain, but the intermidiate links are still missing.
now get back on topic :oops:

I repeat topic is Young earth v old earth :roll:
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

You have just made man an animal. Why didn't Jesus come for the rest of the animals?

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Are you going to answer the question?

As soon as you do, we can continue disemboweling evolution.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

I am going to bed, answering tomorrow when I figure out how to use that complicated journal search you gave me....I clicked browse, then physics....and my jaw dropped....so here is this peer reviewed?

http://www.icr.org/research/icc03/pdf/R ... ardner.pdf

Don't know how to tell and didn't read it all, goodnight.

I'll get you my pretty, you and your little dog too!

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

It does not seem to be peer-reviewed.

The contents seem to be pretty accurate, but then it's no great mystery that carbon dating is not used to date very old things. How about those other ~39 dating techniques?

Still have not answered my question.

http://www.wheaton.edu/ACG/essays/winder1.html

Maybe this can help?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

This might have been explained somewhere in this thread and I missed it, but I just wanted to know that if God took more than 6 literal days to create the earth, then how come it is not described or implied in those verses?

(I am very new to this stuff and I don't have much idea so sorry if this is common sense to most of you)
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

What's the question? I didn't see it.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

I think the question was why do you personally think/believe that the 6 days of Creation were literal days as in 24 hour day?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

That has been firmly established....yes to that.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:That has been firmly established....yes to that.
by whom? I am obviously missing something.
I asked what is the reason YOU take it as 6 24 hour days.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Oops, I missed that part...*looks around* Good, august isn't here...*secertly pulls out book*

Genesis 1:

5(K)God called the light day, and the darkness He called night And (L)there was evening and there was morning, one day.
8God called the expanse heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.
13There was evening and there was morning, a third day.
19There was evening and there was morning, a fourth day.
23There was evening and there was morning, a fifth day.
31God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very (AM)good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

Genesis 2:

2By (B)the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and (C)He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.

Mark 10:

6"But (B)from the beginning of creation, God (C)MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE.

Exodus 20:11

For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Exodus 31:17

It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested.' "

Then there are geological clocks (most which point to young earth)(can't remember them all).

Earth's magnetic field is decaying (there is no such thing as a perpetual engine or machine or process, so sayeth 2nd law of thermodynamics and the 3rd)(3rd refers to why engines can't be 100% efficient).

That's why, and I don't need a peer reviewed article denying the last thing and the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

*Footsteps heard in hallway, runs away*

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

will check it out and thanks for sharing :lol:
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

Deborah wrote:
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:That has been firmly established....yes to that.
by whom? I am obviously missing something.
I asked what is the reason YOU take it as 6 24 hour days.
I know you asked KMart but I thought I would reinforce his notion. Quite simply, because that is the most obvious, literal, interpretation of the scripture. Were there ages, why the reference to evening and morning on all 6 days!

I still like the Apperance of Age theory because it reconciles the literal biblical interpretation with scientific findings. Everyone says that "God would never deceive us like that" but I honestly don't find any deception in it... Just have to look at it from a different point of view really.

KMart, I will say that you do have to be veeerrry careful with the laws of thermodynamics. For instance, yes energy will be lost from any given system, but there's no scale on it. So perhaps energy is lost from our solar system as a whole, but not from our planet which is basically a disformity with the rest of the system. Or take one step further, perhaps our solar system could survive because it takes energy from a larger system - the milky way.

Same goes for entropy. You'd think humans would always get dumber... But you can always change the scope of your system to a larger field. Maybe humans get smarter at the expense of all other life on the planet - we basically absorb the information (non-randomness) of all the creatures that are going extinct. Or maybe every living thing on the planet is free to thrive by borrowing energy/information from the sun. And last, perhaps the law of entropy does not apply to the entire universe as a whole, being that it could draw from God himself, who we know is light, knowledge, and life.

Anyways, sorry for digressing on those thermodynamics points...