Darwin was he ???

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Darwin was he ???

Post by B. W. »

Here is one for mind candy...

Charles Darwin was he a Christian or not?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Darwin was he ???

Post by Philip »

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Philip wrote:At the END of his life? y:-? Maybe: https://carm.org/did-darwin-become-chri ... s-deathbed
Another question: was he supporting some sort of OEC with God involved by creating with evolution in mind or not?
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

B.W., I'm sure he believed the fossil record showed an ancient creation. But by the time of his last days, he knew his time was about up - doubt he cared beyond hopefully realizing God was responsible for all that exists. Which is what really matters, per how the age is viewed.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Philip wrote:B.W., I'm sure he believed the fossil record showed an ancient creation. But by the time of his last days, he knew his time was about up - doubt he cared beyond hopefully realizing God was responsible for all that exists. Which is what really matters, per how the age is viewed.
Yes I know that, but for discussion what do others think about this?
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Darwin's EMOTIONAL problems with God are well documented.
Blessed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Blessed »

As far as I know Darwin was not a Christian.

This is going to sound stupid but I've never understood why evolution must be totally incompatible with Creationism.

Clearly no missing links have been found yet there is adaptation (virus's, antibiotics, insects etc.)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

blessed wrote:
This is going to sound stupid but I've never understood why evolution must be totally incompatible with Creationism.
How "evolution" is defined, will go a long way towards understanding if it is compatible with creationism.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Scripturally, there is a clear disconnect between the animal kingdom God created, and man. Particularly Adam and Eve's creations, the text says God "formed the man of dust from the ground," and then, subsequent to the creation of his body, God "breathed into his nostrils the breath of life." After this, at some point, God caused Adam to go into a deep sleep (the world's first anesthesia operation?) and then, "the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman." If this is a literal description, then it means that Adam and Eve did not evolve from animals, and thus is incompatible with the idea that they could have evolved from animals. In fact, there is another important difference in the descriptions of the animal kingdom being formed and that of the Adam and Eve.

As God created the plant life, He says these were created, "each according to its kind." He says the same of birds, sea creatures, and the beasts (that were created "according to their kinds). There is a clear pause and comment after all of the animal kingdom had been completed: "And God saw that it was good." So NEXT sequence (noted by "Then") of the creation includes the creation of man - but instead of being created "AFTER their KIND" - - there was yet no man. And when they are created, not the difference in the commentary as to what they were modeled upon: "Let us make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness (notice the very first reference to the Trinity)." Scripture refutes the assertion that man evolved from the animal kingdom. God did not take a previously existing animal (or a highly evolved hominid) and then retool him in His image.

So, to SCRIPTURALLY believe in the evolution of MAN, one has to dismiss the account of his creation as either mere fiction or as some bizarre allegory. But then, the entire reason for the need for a Savior, after the fall of Adam and Eve into sin, makes no sense - not if they weren't real people in a real story. And why the crazy story, if not true? Why show, even as allegory, a clear disconnect from where man came from? It makes no sense. So, believe the story or not - but Scripture does not support the idea that man evolved from animals. And if you dismiss the story, man's need for salvation, the idea we are fallen, sinful creatures - none of that makes any sense.

And yet, what makes a person a Christian is not believing Adam and Eve's story literally, but one MUST have faith, confessment, and commitment to Christ - that's the only criteria for salvation.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The issue with creationism VS evolution is that creationism states that God create humans AS IS, period.
Evolution says that humans came from primates and evolved to modern humans 100,000's of years ago
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:The issue with creationism VS evolution is that creationism states that God create humans AS IS, period.
Evolution says that humans came from primates and evolved to modern humans 100,000's of years ago
If humans evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Check and mate.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

LOL !
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

B. W. wrote:
Philip wrote:At the END of his life? y:-? Maybe: https://carm.org/did-darwin-become-chri ... s-deathbed
Another question: was he supporting some sort of OEC with God involved by creating with evolution in mind or not?
-
-
-
Yes. It sure seems that way.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Adam and Eve were real people, there are in fact some theistic evolutionists who accept that. It makes more sense that way.