Digital Unwrapping Of Oldest Known OT Scripture

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Digital Unwrapping Of Oldest Known OT Scripture

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

The oldest known OT scripture which was burnt in a fire has now been unrolled digitally so that it can be read.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-22/e ... re/7866948
"Much of the text is as readable, or close to as readable as actual unharmed Dead Sea Scrolls [the oldest scrolls ever found] or high resolution photographs of them."
"We were immediately struck by the fact that in these passages, the En-Gedi Leviticus scroll is identical in all of its details both regarding its letter and section division to what we call the Masoretic text, the authoritative Jewish text until today," Dr Segal said.
This makes it the earliest Pentateuchal book — relating to the first five books of the Jewish or Christian scriptures — ever found.
The developments are described in the journal as a "significant discovery in biblical archaeology".
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Digital Unwrapping Of Oldest Known OT Scripture

Post by JButler »

Fascinating story and topic. Infra-red photography is the pinnacle of tech in the forensic photo arena, but it is cumbersome, touchy and very time consuming. It is so fascinating to bring "hidden" details to light. :eugeek:
When our lab got a digital Ricoh IR SLR camera I thought we'd leaped ahead by centuries!! What used to take hours or even days would take minutes plus produce a far superior product.

The story reinforces what we know, that the scribes copying process really did work to preserve the ancient Jewish texts.

One area this high tech would be a great help is those funerary masks in Egypt from the late Roman period. The death masks were made like paper mache except they used papyrus sheets for the base material. There has been an archeologist who's been recovering parts of NT manuscripts from these masks. But its a painstaking process with the very real possibility of ruining the papyrus. If this new tech could uncover text withing those masks it would be awesome, but probably irritating to those who don't want further evidence of early NT scripture.

All this is in the realm of what's called the Electro-Magnetic Spectrum. What the human eye can see is roughly in the middle of the spectrum.
There is so much that exists, right in front of our faces, that the human eye cannot visualize. So when people say "I don't believe what I can't see", they are really saying I can't see what is right in front of my face.
There's spiritual lesson and/or a sermon in that statement. y:-?
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

So what you are saying is that we need to have eyes like the Aussie wedge tailed eagle. :lol:

Seriously though thanks for sharing that insight, I had never heard of the burial masks, what a place to find NT writings!!
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JButler »

And I didn't know about the Australian eagle either! To see in IR and UV is incredible. :eugeek: Will have to research it as the Bald Eagle is pretty impressive bird. ;)

On the mask story I'd forgotten about it until now. So a little searching and picked a couple links. Was curious if Dr. Evans had published any more news but I didn't see anything fresh.

http://www.livescience.com/49489-oldest ... -mask.html

A short presentation by Dr. Craig Evans the archeologist. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/01 ... spel-ever/
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DBowling »

Since I first heard about it in 2013, I have been extremely interested in any news regarding the potential first century Mark fragment.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any recent news.