Ark encounter

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Ark encounter

Post by hughfarey »

crochet1949 wrote:So , Hugh..., you don't take Bible as God's authoritative Word. Just clarifying that.
That really won't do, Crotchet, as I'm sure you know. You're clinging to an unnecessary and, to be honest, completely wrong-minded dichotomy: either the bible is literally true from start to finish, or it is a completely made-up fantasy. Actually I don't think you really believe that; dismissing my quite careful considerations with "you don't take Bible as God's authoritative Word" suggests not that you don't understand them, but that you don't want to understand them. Yes: I think the bible is God's authoritative word, No: I don't think its legends and poems are to be taken literally. You may disagree with my view as to the second part, but you may not disagree with my view as to the first part on that basis.
crochet1949 wrote:Well -- part of the Old Testament Is History -- and part is describing , in great detail, the directions for the Ark -- not the one that God gave Noah directions for, but the Ark that God would dwell in while leading the Children of Israel. It IS God's Word and It has been given to Us by the Inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
So you keep saying, but I don't think you understand the nature of the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Of course, it may be that I am wrong and you are right, but you have neither evidence nor authority to support your view. Unsupported assertions are not, necessarily, facts.
The Jewish people came from Jacob (Israel) who had 12 sons (12 tribes) one of which was Judah ---- Jacob was from Isaac and Rebecca / his twin brother was Esau/ Isaac was a son of Abraham and Sarah / Isaac was the child that God promised them. Ishmael was the son by a handmaid. There has been an on-going dispute of who the rightful owners of the Gaza strip belongs to // thus the Islam / Christianity debate. LOTS of accurate history in the Old Testament.
So what? Have I ever denied that there was lots of accurate history in the Old Testament? Again, you've fixated on the "he doesn't believe this is history, that means he doesn't believe anything is history" motif, which is unjustified, illogical, untrue, and frankly, unworthy of you.
melanie wrote:Well then... As an individual dreamer enlighten me.
No need, apparently. You seem to have come to the same conclusions as I have. Far be it from me to interfere with your dreams!
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

hughfarey wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:So , Hugh..., you don't take Bible as God's authoritative Word. Just clarifying that.
That really won't do, Crotchet, as I'm sure you know. You're clinging to an unnecessary and, to be honest, completely wrong-minded dichotomy: either the bible is literally true from start to finish, or it is a completely made-up fantasy. Actually I don't think you really believe that; dismissing my quite careful considerations with "you don't take Bible as God's authoritative Word" suggests not that you don't understand them, but that you don't want to understand them. Yes: I think the bible is God's authoritative word, No: I don't think its legends and poems are to be taken literally. You may disagree with my view as to the second part, but you may not disagree with my view as to the first part on that basis.
crochet1949 wrote:Well -- part of the Old Testament Is History -- and part is describing , in great detail, the directions for the Ark -- not the one that God gave Noah directions for, but the Ark that God would dwell in while leading the Children of Israel. It IS God's Word and It has been given to Us by the Inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
So you keep saying, but I don't think you understand the nature of the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Of course, it may be that I am wrong and you are right, but you have neither evidence nor authority to support your view. Unsupported assertions are not, necessarily, facts.
The Jewish people came from Jacob (Israel) who had 12 sons (12 tribes) one of which was Judah ---- Jacob was from Isaac and Rebecca / his twin brother was Esau/ Isaac was a son of Abraham and Sarah / Isaac was the child that God promised them. Ishmael was the son by a handmaid. There has been an on-going dispute of who the rightful owners of the Gaza strip belongs to // thus the Islam / Christianity debate. LOTS of accurate history in the Old Testament.
So what? Have I ever denied that there was lots of accurate history in the Old Testament? Again, you've fixated on the "he doesn't believe this is history, that means he doesn't believe anything is history" motif, which is unjustified, illogical, untrue, and frankly, unworthy of you.
melanie wrote:Well then... As an individual dreamer enlighten me.
No need, apparently. You seem to have come to the same conclusions as I have. Far be it from me to interfere with your dreams!
So -- explain the nature of the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member

Post by hughfarey »

Round about 550BC, a group of scholars felt it advisable to record, for the first time written in a single book, all the traditions and laws of their people, and about a hundred years later, another group of scholars enlarged the sacred scriptures of the Jews to include poetry, prayers, and history, and the Tanakh was more or less complete. 2500 years later the compilation has dominated the growth of the civilisation, government and social mores of almost the whole world. The stories chosen or rejected, the words in which they were written down, the decision to begin the compilation in the first place: this was the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. They have developed an immense literary and theological significance way beyond their original environment, and lost none of their power and authority in translation: this was the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
Did these two groups of scholars agree, as they discussed? Certainly not; they squabbled about the choice of story, they squabbled about what they meant, they squabbled about the way they were written down, but eventually, they agreed to a compromise which satisfied them all, and which has satisfied the world ever since: : this was the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

Well, that's what I think, anyway. You may disagree, and why not? But is your disagreement based on anything other than personal prejudice?
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Hugh: No: I don't think its legends and poems are to be taken literally.
Then WHAT good are these false stories - which are what LEGENDS are. And what do they really mean? And if we don't know the answers to these - such foundational portions of Scripture which Hugh rejects as historical truth - and I'm talking of portions that are written as asserting factual, historical truths - really, if they are merely symbolic legends, and thus wildly interpretable to the point of rendering them meaningless, what good are they to the believer? This makes Hugh's view of Scripture as no different from an unbeliver's view, except that God supposedly inspired nonsensical stories to be creatively written. That makes much of Scripture perfectly worthless. If Hugh's view were true, I could question any part of it, live like the devil, do what I want, merely because there is NO definitive interpretation, and why would it really matter - as if Hugh says, these stories are not factual history? Was the Incarnation? The Virgin Birth? God becoming man? Jesus killed and springs to back to bodily life, on the third day? Why should I believe ANY of that is historical? Why should I believe what the Apostles taught and confirmed AS HISTORICAL FACT???!!!
Hugh: The stories chosen or rejected, the words in which they were written down, the decision to begin the compilation in the first place: this was the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
OK, so far so good.
Hugh: They have developed an immense literary and theological significance way beyond their original environment, and lost none of their power and authority in translation: this was the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
Good, keep going.
Hugh: Did these two groups of scholars agree, as they discussed? Certainly not; they squabbled about the choice of story, they squabbled about what they meant, they squabbled about the way they were written down, but eventually, they agreed to a compromise which satisfied them all, and which has satisfied the world ever since: : this was the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
Whaaaaaa? Hold up!!! So, we're to believe the Holy Spirit inspired powerful words of His Prophets and Apostles that transcends generations - which, by the way, A) Claim to teach historical truths that are B) both factual and inspired by God, and C) that asserts they are NOT the work of or opinion of man - as Peter was inspired to write: "knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation." And this: “However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all TRUTH; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak."

So, Hugh, you don't even believe what Scripture asserts about itself AND that the Holy Spirit inspired that to be written down - or you believe that mere men voted by lots (and their own conflicting opinions) to some politically compromised version of their OWN words and assertions, but not actually of God's? I have some advice for you Hugh, either throw your Bible away - as it is meaningless conjecture for you - not TRUTH - or merely put it in your kid's room, on the bookshelf and next to "Aesop's Fables." You really might as well quite arguing theology with those here whom see God's word as truth - because while claiming to do so also, your version of truth is not what most here would consider truth of Scripture! And that is not to say there are not symbolic, allegorical, poetic passages in Scripture - there most certainly are. But when you determine such of Scripture, YOU are making YOURSELF the arbitrator of what you consider to be actually/factually true and what you do not.

But as to the many passages and stories that are clearly being taught as true, factual and historical - even though they may contain miraculous aspects or that we don't know exactly HOW it played out factually - nonetheless that is Scripture's assertion, and that is the confirmation by so many statements and cross references by the prophets and apostles of God. So, claiming you ALSO believe such Scripture is God-given and inspired, but that it A) doesn't mean what it appears to, or B) it's just a creatively (however inspired) mass of legends) - well, for a person that appeals to such a view, it is meaningless for YOU to try to argue these issues from a theological perspective - as you don't believe the theology is trustworthy in the same way as most Christians have historically viewed Scripture. And your view MASSIVELY contradicts Scripture. So, your Bible is essentially worthless to YOU - except perhaps for amusing entertainment.

BTW Hugh, why do you believe the incredible, miraculous stories of Christ and His Resurrection, and His assertion that one must have faith in these incredible things (WHO He was/is, What He did - that these were factual - particularly the Resurrection)? Why believe these, based upon your "legendary" view of Scripture?
hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member

Post by hughfarey »

Philip wrote:Then WHAT good are these false stories - which are what LEGENDS are. And what do they really mean?
I'm not going to go through all this again. Legends, poems and laws have meanings of their own above and beyond historical truth.
And if we don't know the answers to these - such foundational portions of Scripture which Hugh rejects as historical truth - and I'm talking of portions that are written as asserting factual, historical truths - really, if they are merely symbolic legends, and thus wildly interpretable to the point of rendering them meaningless, what good are they to the believer?
We do know the answers in general, and our interpretations are not meaningless.
This makes Hugh's view of Scripture as no different from an unbeliever's view, except that God supposedly inspired nonsensical stories to be creatively written. That makes much of Scripture perfectly worthless. If Hugh's view were true, I could question any part of it, live like the devil, do what I want, merely because there is NO definitive interpretation, and why would it really matter - as if Hugh says, these stories are not factual history? Was the Incarnation? The Virgin Birth? God becoming man? Jesus killed and springs to back to bodily life, on the third day? Why should I believe ANY of that is historical? Why should I believe what the Apostles taught and confirmed AS HISTORICAL FACT???!!!
Why indeed? Any individual interpretation of any of the books of the bible, literal or figurative, could not be determined to be correct, and, if individual conscience was prime, any behaviour based upon it could not be criticised. But that is where my position has an authority that your desperate pleading for explanations lacks. The Catholic Church has never considered personal interpretation of the scriptures, or even the scriptures themselves, as all there is, but includes the deliberations of 'Holy Tradition' as equally important. Christianity is principally the expression of the Catholic Church's exploration and understanding of God through scripture, history and science, by the way a Christian lives his life. References to 'Hugh thinks this' or 'Hugh thinks that' are misconceived. I'm an educated Catholic, and Catholic educated. If you want fuller answers than mine to your questions, then may I direct you to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which can be found at http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM.
Now, I disagree with your interpretation of the bible. I think you are wrong about the historicity of Genesis, wrong about the the historicity of Noah's flood, and wrong about the infallibility of any literal interpretation of the bible. (Am I damned for liking prawns?). I have read your arguments and understood them, I have read your attempts to reconcile a literal reading of the scriptures with archaeology and understood them, I have read your impassioned queries about why you should believe anything in the New Testament and understood them. But I think your interpretation is utterly incorrect. I don't think you understand the teaching of the scriptures at all. Your individual, personal version of the book of Genesis is unjustified and substantiated by history, science or Christian theology or tradition. It may be very intensely felt; it may be the result of many years of contemplation and prayer, but I think it's wrong. That's all.
Hugh: Did these two groups of scholars agree, as they discussed? Certainly not; they squabbled about the choice of story, they squabbled about what they meant, they squabbled about the way they were written down, but eventually, they agreed to a compromise which satisfied them all, and which has satisfied the world ever since: this was the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
Whaaaaaa? Hold up!!! So, we're to believe the Holy Spirit inspired powerful words of His Prophets and Apostles that transcends generations - which, by the way, A) Claim to teach historical truths that are B) both factual and inspired by God, and C) that asserts they are NOT the work of or opinion of man - as Peter was inspired to write: "knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation." And this: “However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all TRUTH; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak. "So, Hugh, you don't even believe what Scripture asserts about itself AND that the Holy Spirit inspired that to be written down - or you believe that mere men voted by lots (and their own conflicting opinions) to some politically compromised version of their OWN words and assertions, but not actually of God's?
None of what you have written above is a response to what I wrote. Did you in fact read it?
I have some advice for you Hugh, either throw your Bible away - as it is meaningless conjecture for you - not TRUTH - or merely put it in your kid's room, on the bookshelf and next to "Aesop's Fables." You really might as well quit arguing theology with those here whom see God's word as truth - because while claiming to do so also, your version of truth is not what most here would consider truth of Scripture! And that is not to say there are not symbolic, allegorical, poetic passages in Scripture - there most certainly are. But when you determine such of Scripture, YOU are making YOURSELF the arbitrator of what you consider to be actually/factually true and what you do not.
No, wrong again. You've gone back to the primacy of individual conscience, and arbitrarily decided that you are right and I am wrong. Your own words bounce right back at you - "YOU are making YOURSELF the arbitrator of what you consider to be actually/factually true and what you do not". At last, and at least, you have called in a little support - "most here" - but even among those there is huge variation in what is to be considered literally true and what is not. You all agree, it seems, that "that is not to say there are not symbolic, allegorical, poetic passages in Scripture - there most certainly are." But you claim that your own authority for which bits are which is better than mine. Why? Or better still, how?
But as to the many passages and stories that are clearly being taught as true, factual and historical [To whom? Who are you to judge better than I?] - even though they may contain miraculous aspects or that we don't know exactly HOW it played out factually - nonetheless that is Scripture's assertion, and that is the confirmation by so many statements and cross references by the prophets and apostles of God. So, claiming you ALSO believe such Scripture is God-given and inspired, but that it A) doesn't mean what it appears to, or B) it's just a creatively (however inspired) mass of legends) - well, for a person that appeals to such a view, it is meaningless for YOU to try to argue these issues from a theological perspective - as you don't believe the theology is trustworthy in the same way as most Christians have historically viewed Scripture. And your view MASSIVELY contradicts Scripture. So, your Bible is essentially worthless to YOU - except perhaps for amusing entertainment.
I believe that you know very well that what you have just written is untrue. I'm sorry for you.
BTW Hugh, why do you believe the incredible, miraculous stories of Christ and His Resurrection, and His assertion that one must have faith in these incredible things (WHO He was/is, What He did - that these were factual - particularly the Resurrection)? Why believe these, based upon your "legendary" view of Scripture?
I do not have a 'legendary' view of scripture, as I have unceasingly demonstrated and you have unceasingly, deliberately, and culpably chosen to ignore.

Now. What about Leviticus 11. “Everything in the waters that has fins and scales, whether in the seas or in the rivers, you may eat. But anything in the rivers that has not fins and scales, of the swarming creatures in the waters and of the living creatures that are in the waters, is an abomination to you. They shall remain an abomination to you; of their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall have in abomination. Everything in the waters that has not fins and scales is an abomination to you.”

You can't be clearer than that, can you? An abomination indeed. Calamari, prawns, lobsters, clams. I fear there is no hope for me at all.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

hughfarey wrote:
Philip wrote:Then WHAT good are these false stories - which are what LEGENDS are. And what do they really mean?
I'm not going to go through all this again. Legends, poems and laws have meanings of their own above and beyond historical truth.
And if we don't know the answers to these - such foundational portions of Scripture which Hugh rejects as historical truth - and I'm talking of portions that are written as asserting factual, historical truths - really, if they are merely symbolic legends, and thus wildly interpretable to the point of rendering them meaningless, what good are they to the believer?
We do know the answers in general, and our interpretations are not meaningless.
This makes Hugh's view of Scripture as no different from an unbeliever's view, except that God supposedly inspired nonsensical stories to be creatively written. That makes much of Scripture perfectly worthless. If Hugh's view were true, I could question any part of it, live like the devil, do what I want, merely because there is NO definitive interpretation, and why would it really matter - as if Hugh says, these stories are not factual history? Was the Incarnation? The Virgin Birth? God becoming man? Jesus killed and springs to back to bodily life, on the third day? Why should I believe ANY of that is historical? Why should I believe what the Apostles taught and confirmed AS HISTORICAL FACT???!!!
Why indeed? Any individual interpretation of any of the books of the bible, literal or figurative, could not be determined to be correct, and, if individual conscience was prime, any behaviour based upon it could not be criticised. But that is where my position has an authority that your desperate pleading for explanations lacks. The Catholic Church has never considered personal interpretation of the scriptures, or even the scriptures themselves, as all there is, but includes the deliberations of 'Holy Tradition' as equally important. Christianity is principally the expression of the Catholic Church's exploration and understanding of God through scripture, history and science, by the way a Christian lives his life. References to 'Hugh thinks this' or 'Hugh thinks that' are misconceived. I'm an educated Catholic, and Catholic educated. If you want fuller answers than mine to your questions, then may I direct you to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which can be found at http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM.
Now, I disagree with your interpretation of the bible. I think you are wrong about the historicity of Genesis, wrong about the the historicity of Noah's flood, and wrong about the infallibility of any literal interpretation of the bible. (Am I damned for liking prawns?). I have read your arguments and understood them, I have read your attempts to reconcile a literal reading of the scriptures with archaeology and understood them, I have read your impassioned queries about why you should believe anything in the New Testament and understood them. But I think your interpretation is utterly incorrect. I don't think you understand the teaching of the scriptures at all. Your individual, personal version of the book of Genesis is unjustified and substantiated by history, science or Christian theology or tradition. It may be very intensely felt; it may be the result of many years of contemplation and prayer, but I think it's wrong. That's all.
Hugh: Did these two groups of scholars agree, as they discussed? Certainly not; they squabbled about the choice of story, they squabbled about what they meant, they squabbled about the way they were written down, but eventually, they agreed to a compromise which satisfied them all, and which has satisfied the world ever since: this was the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
Whaaaaaa? Hold up!!! So, we're to believe the Holy Spirit inspired powerful words of His Prophets and Apostles that transcends generations - which, by the way, A) Claim to teach historical truths that are B) both factual and inspired by God, and C) that asserts they are NOT the work of or opinion of man - as Peter was inspired to write: "knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation." And this: “However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all TRUTH; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak. "So, Hugh, you don't even believe what Scripture asserts about itself AND that the Holy Spirit inspired that to be written down - or you believe that mere men voted by lots (and their own conflicting opinions) to some politically compromised version of their OWN words and assertions, but not actually of God's?
None of what you have written above is a response to what I wrote. Did you in fact read it?
I have some advice for you Hugh, either throw your Bible away - as it is meaningless conjecture for you - not TRUTH - or merely put it in your kid's room, on the bookshelf and next to "Aesop's Fables." You really might as well quit arguing theology with those here whom see God's word as truth - because while claiming to do so also, your version of truth is not what most here would consider truth of Scripture! And that is not to say there are not symbolic, allegorical, poetic passages in Scripture - there most certainly are. But when you determine such of Scripture, YOU are making YOURSELF the arbitrator of what you consider to be actually/factually true and what you do not.
No, wrong again. You've gone back to the primacy of individual conscience, and arbitrarily decided that you are right and I am wrong. Your own words bounce right back at you - "YOU are making YOURSELF the arbitrator of what you consider to be actually/factually true and what you do not". At last, and at least, you have called in a little support - "most here" - but even among those there is huge variation in what is to be considered literally true and what is not. You all agree, it seems, that "that is not to say there are not symbolic, allegorical, poetic passages in Scripture - there most certainly are." But you claim that your own authority for which bits are which is better than mine. Why? Or better still, how?
But as to the many passages and stories that are clearly being taught as true, factual and historical [To whom? Who are you to judge better than I?] - even though they may contain miraculous aspects or that we don't know exactly HOW it played out factually - nonetheless that is Scripture's assertion, and that is the confirmation by so many statements and cross references by the prophets and apostles of God. So, claiming you ALSO believe such Scripture is God-given and inspired, but that it A) doesn't mean what it appears to, or B) it's just a creatively (however inspired) mass of legends) - well, for a person that appeals to such a view, it is meaningless for YOU to try to argue these issues from a theological perspective - as you don't believe the theology is trustworthy in the same way as most Christians have historically viewed Scripture. And your view MASSIVELY contradicts Scripture. So, your Bible is essentially worthless to YOU - except perhaps for amusing entertainment.
I believe that you know very well that what you have just written is untrue. I'm sorry for you.
I do not have a 'legendary' view of scripture, as I have unceasingly demonstrated and you have unceasingly, deliberately, and culpably chosen to ignore.

Now. What about Leviticus 11. “Everything in the waters that has fins and scales, whether in the seas or in the rivers, you may eat. But anything in the rivers that has not fins and scales, of the swarming creatures in the waters and of the living creatures that are in the waters, is an abomination to you. They shall remain an abomination to you; of their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall have in abomination. Everything in the waters that has not fins and scales is an abomination to you.”

You can't be clearer than that, can you? An abomination indeed. Calamari, prawns, lobsters, clams. I fear there is no hope for me at all.

On that last, I will assume you are not a dispensationalist?

While I have read the Bible, I could not attempt to engage someone
in a discussion on a sophisticated level. So, the relative merits of the arguments
is generally lost on me.

However, looking at it from "outside", there is a striking difference in the
presentations. From Phil we see rigidity and emotionalism, extreme statements delivered
with strings of strident adjectives and all caps.

From you, very reasoned, on message, coherent, and withal, very credible.

Of course, any document and any reading of it that leads to the certain conclusion
that there actually was a world wide flood is ultimately without any actual merit at
all. Like Charlie Brown's kite expertise undone by the sight of his kite down the sewer.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Hugh: Your own words bounce right back at you - "YOU are making YOURSELF the arbitrator of what you consider to be actually/factually true and what you do not".
Hugh, I am merely echoing what Scripture claims for itself - in MANY places. And you reject it, if but with some clever but meaningless nuances. And that is, that ALL Scripture is "God breathed" and not the interpretation of man. It's that simple. You say much of it doesn't mean what we think is says - which means God didn't want us to correctly understand it OR such was unimportant. It means we could terribly misinterpret much of Scripture in many potentially destructive ways. No, Scripture bounces back at YOU, but you play dodge ball with it. It doesn't mean I understand every difficult passage or that there's not symbolism, allegory, metaphor, etc. - of course there are. But I am a literary person. I understand literary criticism. I have a journalism degree. I know how to parse meanings and their character - as to whether to be meant as fact or not. I know how to research commentaries of respected seminary-trained Bible and Hebrew/Greek/Aramaic scholars. I can tell you what the ancient rabbis believed about the prophets and The Law. What I am saying is backed up by a ton of Christian and Bible scholarship - so, it is NOT merely my opinion. These are what the vast majority of Christian scholarship says about the Bible.

Hugh, you know so little about theology and Israel's ceremonial instructions. The things said to be as an abominations were simply to show and re-enforce the understanding that these were things ceremonially unclean - that is, in practice there were good things and bad things, and the good/acceptable things were set apart from the "bad" things. Most such teachings were also to reinforce the fact that Israel was set apart as God's people, apart from the evil and practices of the surrounding pagan nations. And while there was a time for such teachings and practices, they weren't necessarily for ALL for all people for all time. And animal sacrifices, another ceremonial re-enforcing practice - was designed to sacrificially give back to God with worldly goods/means and honoring of Him. But all of the ceremonial laws and practices also were teaching another very important lesson - that mere practices would not change their sins, nor save them. It taught people that, in their own power, they could not live up to the demands of The Laws of Moses. And if FAITH in God did not accompany the practices, people were just as lost as ever. DOING ritual practices, then or now, never saved a soul!

Jac needs to weigh in on some of this - that is, concerning this great "legendary, mostly symbolic" view of Scripture and of the ceremonial/ritual aspects of The Law that seem so strange and silly to us.

CALLING JAC!!!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

You make me wonder sometimes Audie, why you're always about Christian issues. Shouldn't one ought to be Christian before taking positions on "Christian" issues, or can chicks eat pellets before they become chickens? You work your way forward, not backwards.

Something like Jac's paper on divine simplicity, or questions about the metaphysical underpinnings of the world, would be better start for you to try bother with. Being as you are, looking at the world through your rather secular lens, there is no point in your even entertaining Scripture. It has no meaning to you, nor should it in your state.

I don't say that to be cruel, is just truth of the matter. Correct me if I'm wrong and you see any merit at all to Scripture. It's not your Canon, why should you? It doesn't open up to you its secrets, or nurture you in any way, if you even could comprehend what such means. So why keep picking at it? You may as well be forever picking nits without actually treating the hair roots.

If you have no idea what I'm saying, start with going forward from the beginning in any investigation of God's existence, don't start with some end beliefs of people. Or even this or that religion. You always say you lack time, you need to make time some day because really you're just wasting time here otherwise poking sticks.

Without even one basic Theistic tenet, your opinion on what you feel about this Christian or that Christian being more credible or the like counts for zip. Just like that kite down the drain. It's like a person judging a beauty contest, only upon announcing who was the fairest of them all it is realised the judge is actually blind.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member

Post by hughfarey »

Thank you, Audie, for your comments. In fairness, I suppose I have to say that the style in which an argument is presented does not affect the truth of the conclusion, but I do agree that some styles make it more difficult for their proponents to make converts to their point of view. After all, if God is irrational, then why shouldn't his advocates be? I just don't think he is.

I was not familiar with Dispensationalism, so had to look it up. I'm glad I did, as it adds a extra layer to TS Eliot's 'Journey of the Magi':
"We returned to our places, these Kingdoms,
But no longer at ease here, in the old dispensation,
With an alien people clutching their gods."

I gather it is another attempt to fudge the literal meaning out of the Old Testament, without plainly accepting that some things just don't apply, or aren't literally true.

And Philip, oh dear. From start to finish your comment is unsound. Can you not see the weakness of your opening statement?
I am merely echoing what Scripture claims for itself.
The Quran and the Book of Mormon claim exactly the same. You claim that a book is literally true simply because it says it is literally true? Have you ever read the opening pages of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein', or Robert Lewis Stevenson's 'Treasure Island'. Both go to some lengths to persuade the reader that what follows is a true account. The same is the case with dozens of similar novels, some of which, indeed, are extremely convincing.
You say much of it doesn't mean what we think is says - which means God didn't want us to correctly understand it OR such was unimportant.
It doesn't mean that at all. God most certainly does want you to understand it, and it is all important.
It means we could terribly misinterpret much of Scripture in many potentially destructive ways.
It does indeed, but with God's guidance, given to us through history, tradition, science and archaeology, and above all by working towards a common interpretation, we can avoid that.
I can tell you what the ancient rabbis believed about the prophets and The Law. What I am saying is backed up by a ton of Christian and Bible scholarship - so, it is NOT merely my opinion. These are what the vast majority of Christian scholarship says about the Bible.
That, I'm afraid, is simply not true. Not since St Augustine of Hippo, in 400AD, and probably before that, has "the vast majority of Christian scholarship" believed in the literal truth of Genesis.
Hugh, you know so little about theology and Israel's ceremonial instructions.
How right you are.
The things said to be as an abominations were simply to show and re-enforce the understanding that these were things ceremonially unclean - that is, in practice there were good things and bad things, and the good/acceptable things were set apart from the "bad" things.
Eh? Now, come on, that's not what the Law specifically states. What could be clearer than the specific instruction "Of their flesh you shall not eat"? It's as clear as "Thou shalt not kill", or "Thou shalt not commit adultery." But now you say that these clear, firm instructions are nothing more than ceremonial? Subtle distinctions between good things and bad things that only apply on ritualistic occasions? It seems that your liberal interpretation of God's word is even more wildly speculative than mine!
And while there was a time for such teachings and practices, they weren't for all people for all time.
Does that include the ten commandments? If not, why not? How did you decide? Personal interpretation again?
DOING ritual practices, then or now, never saved a soul!
I dare say, but that is no reason to defy the specific instructions of God.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo" You make me wonder sometimes Audie, why you're always about Christian issues.
I wonder what you think you are even saying here. I am not "always" much of anything, and as for "Christian issues", what is that even supposed to mean?

The thread is about the supposed "ark" and an event that affected all of life and geography on earth. That a subset of Christians promote this pseudoscience and superstition, have in the past and would again present it
upon the public at large as imposed truth with terrible consequences for not believing, that is a matter of legitimate concern to all. Like me.

Lets take it a step further, that willful ignorance, deliberate intellectual dishonesty and gay embrace of superstition is not really healthy for an advanced industrial economy that wishes to maintain dominance. That goes for OZ and all the western countries who are in the same boat.

There are a lot of intensely rational, very hungry and ambitious people who will be totally unsentimental about pushing you guys aside. They outnumber you, btw.
Shouldn't one ought to be Christian before taking positions on "Christian" issues, or can chicks eat pellets before they become chickens? You work your way forward, not backwards.
Do you say this to the fluddies and gapperites? I know the bible better than most Christians do. Your fs and gs are utterly clueless about science, as you surely have noted, little as you yourself know. They display, tho, no hesitation about presenting that they know more than all the scientists on earth. And, side note, making your entire religion look ridiculous.

Something like Jac's paper on divine simplicity, or questions about the metaphysical underpinnings of the world,

"Metaphysical underpinnings" may underpin "philosophy" but as for the world itself, that is your opinion.
would be better start for you to try bother with. Being as you are, looking at the world through your rather secular lens, there is no point in your even entertaining Scripture. It has no meaning to you, nor should it in your state.
I dont suppose you advised jacjac to read "intro to historical geology"?
Whatever "entertaining" scripture may mean, I've found some of it interesting.

In your state of acceptance, you may well be less qualified to read the bible for what it is than I.

I don't say that to be cruel, is just truth of the matter. Correct me if I'm wrong and you see any merit at all to Scripture
Some of it has merit, as I said. What you said is your opinion, not some truth.

. It's not your Canon, why should you? It doesn't open up to you its secrets, or nurture you in any way, if you even could comprehend what such means
What makes you think you have access to arcane knowledge denied to me?
Or look at H and P dueling over such basic matters. One of them "comprehends" and the other does not? That is where I came in. I dont know which is "right" about sophisticated interpretations of this and that.

I do know that anyone who goes round and round and ends up with a real world wide flood has went off the track, real badly, somewhere.
Perhaps you could try backtracking to see where the systemic error is.

. So why keep picking at it? You may as well be forever picking nits without actually treating the hair roots.
Whatever you might possibly mean. Picking at "it"? Obscurantism is a bit of a vice, dont you think so?

If you have no idea what I'm saying,
Not when you talk about hairs and fleas. I tend to know what people are saying when they dont talk vague metaphors or otherwise indulge in the aforementioned vice.
start with going forward from the beginning in any investigation of God's existence, don't start with some end beliefs of people. Or even this or that religion
If people go thru all that and then end up, kite down drain, what is ther in that to make me want to follow the same sorry path?
You always say you lack time, you need to make time some day because really you're just wasting time here otherwise poking sticks.
If I am "poking sticks' what is anyone else doing here? What is the difference?

Without even one basic Theistic tenet, your opinion on what you feel about this Christian or that Christian being more credible or the like counts for zip.
What makes you think I dont understand your religion? "Even one basic tenet"?
Give me a flipping break.

As for that credibility thing, you cant mean it. You may be off your feed, this whole post suggests it, as did your earlier posts in which you were attacking me on things you fantasized. If one person in ANY debate on ANY topic
included as essential facts that cars fly and Mt Everest is really a hole in the ground, his whole argument will be well, you know. People will laugh.

Im sure the fluddies dont like being laughed at but they are not one whit less
ridiculous.

Just like that kite down the drain. It's like a person judging a beauty contest, only upon announcing who was the fairest of them all it is realised the judge is actually blind
[/quote]

If you want to play "just like", even a blind man can feel the string till it ends up in the drain, or hear the contestants voices and pick the winner as the only female present.

As you seem to think there was some sort flood that supports the bible story, however remotely, I suppose it touches a nerve to have it mentioned that
there is no physical evidence to support the story. Or that clinging to "flood" as some sort of literal "truth" calls into profound question whether any of the bible or its adherents can reasonably be called credible.

Unless perhaps you take the approach that the stories were based on something, whatever it may have been, and the story has so morphed over the years that all that is left is something like the Cheshire cat's grin.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

hughfarey wrote:
Thank you, Audie, for your comments. In fairness, I suppose I have to say that the style in which an argument is presented does not affect the truth of the conclusion, but I do agree that some styles make it more difficult for their proponents to make converts to their point of view. After all, if God is irrational, then why shouldn't his advocates be? I just don't think he is.
Id agree with all the above. The style is only the smaller part tho.

The content, as in grand conclusion reached includes a literal flood.

As I said to Krink (as in Krinkow, a short barreled, very loud and inaccurate communist weapon) Phil's argument may as well be proving that Mt Everest is a hole in the ground. Once you've seen the absurd conclusion, the whole argument loses.

It may be that there is some salvage, a good point or two, but withal, it doesnt show sound reason or data.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Philip wrote:Jac needs to weigh in on some of this - that is, concerning this great "legendary, mostly symbolic" view of Scripture and of the ceremonial/ritual aspects of The Law that seem so strange and silly to us.

CALLING JAC!!!
I don't think the problem is anyone's view of Scripture--at least, that's not the root problem. There's a reason I'm not Catholic, and it is not because I don't want to kiss a Pope's ring and it isn't because I don't believe in the perpetual virginity of Mary. What you are facing, Phil, is the fact that hugh's Catholicism means that he believes his church first, foremost, and above all. For him, the Bible records a part of the revelation that God gave mankind; but most importantly, for him, the Bible was given through the church and therefore only the church has the right to interpret it. I have often said that Catholics don't believe the Bible, they believe the Pope. It's a bit (a lot) simplified, but I still say that boils down to the essence of things. You are trying to make arguments based on a reading of the text, and more than that, you are presuming that proper reading of the text is found in the text itself. In fact, that is largely the entire non-Catholic assumption: that the message of the Bible is found in its words, can be understood by understanding its words in their context, and so on. But that's not the basic Catholic position. For them, the Bible means what the church says it means. That's not being snarky. It's just that, for them, God reveals truth through the church, and part of that revelation came as the church wrote the Bible, and therefore the church gets to tell you what she meant when she authored it. Sort of an odd take on authorial intent in my view, but we ought to take it seriously all the same.

The upshot to all this is that you actually don't need to have an inerrant, historically factual Bible. You could take the most extreme views of OT criticism--you could say that all of the Pentateuch is myth as was Joshua's conquest; you could say that David never existed, and that Israel was never a power as described in the OT; you could say that there were three or four Isaiahs, that Daniel was written in the 2nd century BC, and so on. You could take all these views, and if you are a Catholic, you could shrug your shoulders, because you don't believe in Jesus because the Bible says so (much less because of anything in the OT). You believe because the church says so.

So I don't agree with that premise. I don't think, for historical and methodological reasons, that you can found your faith on the church's proclamation (I don't believe the church has ever made a proclamation anyway; I don't believe the church can or does teach anything; I don't even belief Jesus founded a church, must less that He founded the Catholic church). So for me the question is what the Bible says, and by that, I mean what did each individual author mean when he wrote? That's the sole thing we need to look at: the words say this in their context, therefore the words mean that in their context. Having mined the meaning from the text, we can then ask questions about how it applies in our world and how it relates to science and other such matters.

But, again, this argument you're having with hugh is just missing the point, as is his argument with you. Ships passing in the night and such things.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Audie wrote:Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Audie wrote:

Jac, as you know I took my own (sweet, of course) time in learning to start appreciating you.

I read this over twice, second time just to savour it.

I do truly and deeply appreciate the thought effort you put into this, not
least because it lets (used as in "without let or hindrance" ) me cross examine
myself. As a rule comments as from say, abe or phil are so wide the mark, they speak of/to
a person existing only in their imagination.

You missed on one tho- no eye roll. I learned more respect for you than to do that.
Tnx again.
its me, Min

PS sizable desk. What kind of wood?
Thank you for the kind words. Forgive me when I disappoint. ;)

As to the far more important matter of the deck, I'm pretty sure it is treated pine. It is a pain (literally) to sand, but it smells like pine. Very nice, IMO. Got a third of it finished a few days ago. A few more days, and then stain the whole thing, and I'll have a little backyard oasis. :mrgreen:
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Audie wrote:I dont suppose you advised jacjac to read "intro to historical geology"?
I actually would read that, Audie. Maybe one of these days I'll get the time. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you can well appreciate, there are only so many hours in a day. Right now, for professional reasons, I am being required to be ordained in my denomination, which is no easy task. I'll be working on that project through August at least. At the same time, again for professional reasons, I am learning Spanish (we have a rather strong hispanic population here and only one chaplain speaks any Spanish at all). After that, I'm taking up a rather rigorous year or so of math. Easy stuff at first (Alegebra, Statistics, Trig, Pre-Calc) and then moving into Cal 1 and 2 followed by Linear Algebra. All this is in preparation for an MS in Statistics I'll hopefully be pursuing, and all of THAT is because the hospital we are at (in large part due to my own pushing) is starting to do some serious clinical studies on spiritual health and related issues. Right now, for instance, we're working on two, and possibly a third. The first two are just clinical evaluations of two standard spiritual assessment tools that people can use with only a little training (one called FACT, the other HOPE). But we are coming up against a problem we may have to solve with a third study, which would actually be a series of studies, in finding or developing a good Spiritual Well Being Scale (there is one that goes by that name, but I'm not impressed for reasons I won't bore myself with typing out here). Scales exist, e.g., the FACIT-Sp-12 and the SF-36 (aka the RAND-36), but they are problematic in and of themselves. So that may need to be done from the ground up . . .

As you can see, an intro to historical geology, then, is something I would be interested in, but rather low on the priority list. I'd rather focus on those areas that can make a direct contribution to the field that is paying my bills. :)

edit:

HAT TRICK!!!
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Jac3510 wrote:
Audie wrote:I dont suppose you advised jacjac to read "intro to historical geology"?
I actually would read that, Audie. Maybe one of these days I'll get the time. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you can well appreciate, there are only so many hours in a day. Right now, for professional reasons, I am being required to be ordained in my denomination, which is no easy task. I'll be working on that project through August at least. At the same time, again for professional reasons, I am learning Spanish (we have a rather strong hispanic population here and only one chaplain speaks any Spanish at all). After that, I'm taking up a rather rigorous year or so of math. Easy stuff at first (Alegebra, Statistics, Trig, Pre-Calc) and then moving into Cal 1 and 2 followed by Linear Algebra. All this is in preparation for an MS in Statistics I'll hopefully be pursuing, and all of THAT is because the hospital we are at (in large part due to my own pushing) is starting to do some serious clinical studies on spiritual health and related issues. Right now, for instance, we're working on two, and possibly a third. The first two are just clinical evaluations of two standard spiritual assessment tools that people can use with only a little training (one called FACT, the other HOPE). But we are coming up against a problem we may have to solve with a third study, which would actually be a series of studies, in finding or developing a good Spiritual Well Being Scale (there is one that goes by that name, but I'm not impressed for reasons I won't bore myself with typing out here). Scales exist, e.g., the FACIT-Sp-12 and the SF-36 (aka the RAND-36), but they are problematic in and of themselves. So that may need to be done from the ground up . . .

As you can see, an intro to historical geology, then, is something I would be interested in, but rather low on the priority list. I'd rather focus on those areas that can make a direct contribution to the field that is paying my bills. :)

edit:

HAT TRICK!!!
You have a lot on your plate!

Having spent a lot of hours in a car, road trips, with geologists in the family
who liked to read the landscape as we went, I of course was interested to take
some courses in college. Totally unrelated to how I do / will make a living.

Does Hong Kong real estate have much to do with geology? Generally speaking, not.

It is more of a humanities thing, for me. Like poetry, music good tea. it is about appreciation of what is around you. The landscape comes alive if you
understand what you are looking at. My dad expressed it as being that what you see is one frame from a movie, that you can read forward and backward
from that one frame, once you know how.

If / when you find time, rather than going to a textbook, I'd suggest you
find one of the book on geology by John McPhee. Very engaging author!
Quoting Dad again, he said its a great shame he is not writing the texts.

Type in "geology book John McPhee". I liked "Basin and Range" because
it is largely about country and people that I am a little familiar with, having a college friend who invited me to stay out there at their ranch on different occasions.

(they had me riding horses, branding calves etc, but I am a most unconvincing cowgirl)

:D