The God Delusion

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

The God Delusion

Post by Nessa »

Might as well start with that quote...

"“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Then...

Now I'm going to read the book.

Would be interested in people's thoughts concerning this book/documentary/quote

Also if you had the chance to personally talk with Dawkins to give your response to him concerning all this - what would it be?
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Re: The God Delusion

Post by Nessa »

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Interestingly, Dawkins brings up the same argument that Harris did.

Harris puts forth in another talk that you get born into religion and if you don't happen to be born into Christianity, you'll get to burn in hell.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Here's another Lennox one I listened to.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I read Dawkins book and Hitchens and Harris and Dennet.
They all invent a god of THEIR understanding then go about showing how THAT God sucks.
I agree with them.
Their god does suck.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:I read Dawkins book and Hitchens and Harris and Dennet.
They all invent a god of THEIR understanding then go about showing how THAT God sucks.
I agree with them.
Their god does suck.
:pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Love that Lennox points out how Christ was against the religious zealots of his day and died for it.
I said something of the sort here to Kenny not too long ago, so great minds think alike I suppose... ;)
Lennox should really get his own material and stop stealing mine!

Therefore, whatever Dawkins points out is horrible about religion and how God can be misused,
well Christ knows first hand and is actually someone Dawkins should be able to get behind.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

We should bring up atheism of the 20 th century and point out that atheist leaders killed and oppressed more people than all Christian wars combined.Atheists whitewash the history of atheism and atheist leaders,atheists nit-pick the west despite how the God of Abraham,Isaac and Jacob blessed us,they take it all for granted and give the glory to science started by Christians,then ignore what atheism did in the 20 the century.

It won't do any good though because atheists do not value the truth like Christians do and so they believe lies and are indoctrinated easily while thinking they are smarter,more educated than believers are.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote: Lennox should really get his own material and stop stealing mine!
are you guys gonna start out handing out complimentary glasses if you are gonna post this small y@-)
MBPrata
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by MBPrata »

atheists do not value the truth like Christians do and so they believe lies and are indoctrinated easily while thinking they are smarter,more educated than believers are.
Oh, my...that is the exact same thing that atheist think about christians! Were you aware of that?

Seriously, I can not understand how does God want us to believe in anything - or anyone - at all...
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

MBPrata wrote:
atheists do not value the truth like Christians do and so they believe lies and are indoctrinated easily while thinking they are smarter,more educated than believers are.
Oh, my...that is the exact same thing that atheist think about christians! Were you aware of that?

Seriously, I can not understand how does God want us to believe in anything - or anyone - at all...
So you do believe there is a God?
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote: Lennox should really get his own material and stop stealing mine!
It sounds better with a Irish accent though
:poke:
MBPrata
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by MBPrata »

Me? No, not really. I consider it is possible for a god to exist, but I doubt it/he/she exists. And also because I highly doubt the god of the Bible exists, I wrote what I wrote. I feel really unconfortable when considering a supreme being expects us to believe anything at all, let alone such a specific religion like christianity.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

MBPrata wrote:
Me? No, not really. I consider it is possible for a god to exist, but I doubt it/he/she exists. And also because I highly doubt the god of the Bible exists, I wrote what I wrote. I feel really unconfortable when considering a supreme being expects us to believe anything at all, let alone such a specific religion like christianity.
:lol: Isn't the better question whether you believe in anything? ;)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

MBPrata wrote:I consider it is possible for a god to exist, but I doubt it/he/she exists.
Can you say more about this? Specifically, can you define "god" for us? What are you saying it is at least possible to exist, even if you doubt is actually there? And second, when you say you highly doubt the Christian God exists, do you mean that as you wrote it or are you really saying that it is impossible for the Christian God to exist? If you mean it as you wrote it, are you saying that you admit the possibility, however remote, of His existence? Perhaps you just see it as so remote that we might as well regard it as not being the case?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.