Evoloution

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Deborah
Christian: No

Post by Deborah »

God created time and god created man, man use to live 900+ years
Days, years could have been different.

Gods word also says 1 day is as 1000 years.

2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, let not this one thing be hidden from you, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

In other words Gods time clock in not the same as ours.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I think that's pointing to the fact God is not constrained to our time. He sees and is in the future, present, and past.
Verse 8 The apostle comes in these words to instruct and establish Christians in the truth of the coming of the Lord, where we may clearly discern the tenderness and affection wherewith he speaks to them, calling them beloved; he had a compassionate concern and a love of good-will for the ungodly wretches who refused to believe divine revelation, but he has a peculiar respect for the true believers, and the remaining ignorance and weakness that the apprehends to be in them make him jealous, and put him on giving them a caution. Here we may observe, I. The truth which the apostle asserts— that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years are as one day. Though, in the account of men, there is a great deal of difference between a day and a year, and a vast deal more between one day and a thousand years, yet in the account of God, who inhabits eternity, in which there is no succession, there is no difference; for all things past, present, and future, are ever before him, and the delay of a thousand years cannot be so much to him as the deferring of any thing for a day or an hour is to us. II. The importance of this truth: This is the one thing the apostle would not have us ignorant of; a holy awe and reverential fear of God are necessary in order to our worshiping and glorifying him, and a belief of the inconceivable distance between him and us is very proper to beget and maintain that religious fear of the Lord which is the beginning of wisdom. This is a truth that belongs to our peace, and therefore he endeavours that it may not be hidden from our eyes; as it is in the original, Let not this one thing be hidden from you. If men have no knowledge or belief of the eternal God, they will be very apt to think him such a one as themselves. Yet how hard is it to conceive of eternity! It is therefore not very easy to attain such a knowledge of God as is absolutely necessary.
I doubt God would have told the writer of Genesis (Noah or Moses, I think it's Moses) time on His scale-He used stuffed that everyone would understand. When talking to the fishing soon to be apostles, He used simple terms-HE said they would become fisher of men....instead of something like "you're gonna share the gospel"
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:When God says He made the world in 6 days, and when others refer back to God making the world in only 6 days, then yes, I take that one literally....and many others.
Just thought I'd point out that I take the text in Genesis literally too, considering their a three "literal" interpretations of the word yom, which is translated "day"—12 hours, 24 hours, or an unspecified period of time. I take the latter literal rendition.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Listen to someone with a degree.
You are of course assuming that no-one here has degrees. BTW, evolutionary scientists also hold degrees, why don't you listen to them?

Wisdom comes from God, asking Him for it, and accepting it when offered. It does not come from degrees, knowledge comes from academic study. Wisdom is the reason we as Christians instinctively reject evolution, for example, we know that by looking at the information and coming to the conclusion that naturalist processes cannot explain that.

For the umpteenth time, the ancient Hebrew word for day has 3 meanings, and you have to assign the meaning in context. A 24 hour day does not fit in the context of creation, but a "period" does, and it is verified by science.

"yowm, yome; from an unused root meaning to be hot; a day (as the warm hours), whether literal (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figurative (a space of time defined by an associated term)"
from Strongs Theological dictionary
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Sciences cannot study creation. Once in a lifetime event. Science is not limitless, as some might have you think. (psychology and sociology are pseudosciences for example)

http://www.ovrlnd.com/Apologetics/24hourdays.html

So...if day is long period of time....Noah was on the Ark for how many thousands of years? How many years did Adam live before sinning? I don't see why millions of years seems more realistic than 6 days...

If you don't click the link, read part here:
(8) And lastly, Adam was made on the sixth day (Gen. 1:26, 31), which was supposedly thousand of years long. This was followed by the 7th day which was also thousands of years long. Following the 7th day, Adam fell into sin and was expelled from the Garden. This would mean Adam lived thousands of years, which is false, since he died at age 930 (Gen. 5:5).
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:So...if day is long period of time....Noah was on the Ark for how many thousands of years? How many years did Adam live before sinning? I don't see why millions of years seems more realistic than 6 days...
For a start science doesn't agree with 6 earthly days.
what if dinosaurs and other ancient creatures existed during creation?
during the translation from hebrew to english, there have been words that just had no english meaning, and words that have more than one meaning,in the case of creation we can chose the earth was created in 6 days,(sunrise to sunset, making that literal) or we can take it figuratively as a space in time) I think science points to it being used figuratively.
"yowm, yome; from an unused root meaning to be hot; a day (as the warm hours), whether literal (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figurative (a space of time defined by an associated term)" from Strongs Theological dictionary
When we speak in the day of Noah we are not talking one day.
God did not see it necessary for us to know how long Adam lived after he and eve sinned, only that they had sinned. One sin can undo all good works, Repentance can undo sin, but Adam and eve did not repent, then each blamed someone else, Adam blamed Eve, and Eve blamed the serpent.
August
Old School

Post by August »

Sciences cannot study creation. Once in a lifetime event. Science is not limitless, as some might have you think. (psychology and sociology are pseudosciences for example)
And those 2 apply here how? Biology, physics, geology, paleontolgy, anthropology and forensics are what we talking about, hardly pseudosciences.
So...if day is long period of time....Noah was on the Ark for how many thousands of years? How many years did Adam live before sinning? I don't see why millions of years seems more realistic than 6 days...

If you don't click the link, read part here:

Quote:
(Cool And lastly, Adam was made on the sixth day (Gen. 1:26, 31), which was supposedly thousand of years long. This was followed by the 7th day which was also thousands of years long. Following the 7th day, Adam fell into sin and was expelled from the Garden. This would mean Adam lived thousands of years, which is false, since he died at age 930 (Gen. 5:5).
Did you read anything I said about context? In the case of Noah, 24 days can apply, in the case of creation they don't. Millions of years are realistic, since that is what has been determined by investigating the evidence, through the sciences I mentioned.

Do you want to tell us where it says that the 7th day is finished? Read this:

Hebrews 4:1-3 (NIV)
" Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. [2] For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith. [3] Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,

"So I declared on oath in my anger,
'They shall never enter my rest.' "

And yet his work has been finished since the creation of the world. "
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

I was just mentioning a few of the pseudosciences, because people do not understand the limits of science.
And those 2 apply here how? Biology, physics, geology, paleontolgy, anthropology and forensics are what we talking about, hardly pseudosciences.

Yes, I read what you said about context.
I think science points to it being used figuratively.

Science can tell us with much authority squat about creation, whether it was 6 days, millions of years, or the time it takes to eat a burrito. We can only see the results.

Interesting to know that people always thought about creation as 6 days, until Christians started buckling under evolution...sad.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

I believed in 6 day evolution when I did not know the bible. But because I did not know the word of god or pursue it I lost my faith.
it was science that proved the possability of god that bought me back to god, because with the possability my faith grew.
August
Old School

Post by August »

Interesting to know that people always thought about creation as 6 days, until Christians started buckling under evolution...sad.
Sorry, wrong again, some of the most influential theologists from the past held an old-earth view, see below. It is rather the other way round, since the advent of evolution did Christians start insisting on a young earth.

"Augustine, himself, as is well known, states in connection with the days of Genesis 1, "What kind of days these were it is extremely difficult, or perhaps impossible for us to conceive.""
Augustine lived from 354 to 430 AD, and was a renowned author, philosopher and theologist.

"Anselm may be read to follow this lead in his supposition that "the 'days' of Moses' account ... are not to be equated with the days in which we live.""
Anselm of Canterbury lived from 1033 to 1109.

John Colet, one of the great reformists held a day age view too. He lived in the late 1400's and early 1500's.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

There are always exceptions...cool never heard of those guy's statements.
August
Old School

Post by August »

There are always exceptions
Like Christians who believe in a young earth?
:lol:
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

No, we're exceptional, not exceptions.

Why must the earth be old to you people? Only evolutionists need an old earth...

Another thing to look at is the growth rate. I'm not gonna pull out big numbers because, heck, I can't remember much, but what I do remember is that if man is as old as scientists say, we should, with a simple exponential equation, fill up the universe (even when birth rate is dropped lower than what it probably was).

(it was a joke, haha and that kind of stuff)
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Question
If young earth theory is correct, then what did the lord do for millions of years? Sit their playing tidly winks?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

God is eternal. God CREATED time. That's what Peter was saying when a day is like a 1000 years and a 1000 years is a day to God. He isn't constrained to it, that's why He can see past, present, and future. You can't be in time and see all at once. It's in the part on here on the extradimensional nature of God. I liked that article. Using it to explain God/time.... You can see all of a 2d picture on a piece of paper because you're 3d. God can see all of time because He's in another dimension above it.

Now, for a real brainteaser...PICTURE INFINITY

It gave me a headache when we went into infinity in calculus. Most of my classmates kept on asking questions, unable to understand enough to do the problems.