More multiverse musings.

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

More multiverse musings.

Post by Silvertusk »

Here is a question - if there is in fact a multiverse and there are an infinite amount of universes (we will ignore the BVG for a moment) does that mean that the Onotological Argument is in fact stronger and therefore inescapable that God exists?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: More multiverse musings.

Post by RickD »

Is it even possible to have an infinite number of any thing?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

RickD wrote:Is it even possible to have an infinite number of any thing?

I don't know- Hilbert would think not - but if there was an infinite worlds - then God would exist - and since he is by definition the maximum in all attributes - then he would be omnipresent in all worlds. Hence God exists.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Oh ok. We're playing the hypothetical game. In that case, I'm a rich prince with a harem of an infinite number of beautiful wives. :mrgreen:

Oh wait...
An infinite number of women living together, means they would eventually be on the same cycle. Which means an infinite amount of pms at the same time! y#-o

That's worse than hell!
:dig:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

We do live in a "multi-universe".
Our Universe as we know it.
The Heavenly "universe" of God and His angels.
"Hell".
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

It is hypothetical - but I think the logic is sound. An infinite universes would mean that there must be a deity like God existing in one of them - and if he does then he exists in all of them.

So all I am saying - Hypothetically - is if there is an infinite multiverse without a beginning (impossible) then God still exists because of the ontological argument.

The question I am asking is - is this line of reasoning sound?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Silvertusk wrote:It is hypothetical - but I think the logic is sound. An infinite universes would mean that there must be a deity like God existing in one of them - and if he does then he exists in all of them.

So all I am saying - Hypothetically - is if there is an infinite multiverse without a beginning (impossible) then God still exists because of the ontological argument.

It's about as sound as a 4 sided triangle. Unless you can prove any thing can be infinite.

-Edward R Murrow

Seraph
Christian: No

Post by Seraph »

If it were measured in days, how many days is Gods total lifespan, from birth to to death?
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Seraph wrote:
If it were measured in days, how many days is Gods total lifespan, from birth to to death?
I said any thing. God is not a thing. Numbers are infinite also. But they're not things.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Silvertusk wrote:It is hypothetical - but I think the logic is sound. An infinite universes would mean that there must be a deity like God existing in one of them - and if he does then he exists in all of them.

Well, it depends on your definition of universe.
u·ni·verse
ˈyo͞onəˌvərs/Submit
noun
all existing matter and space considered as a whole; the cosmos.

In other words, ALL the exists in the universe so "multi-universes" would me there would be multiple "all existent matter and space".
I think that we have different dimensions and "realities" but they all exist in the same universe ( if we go by the above definition of universe).

I think when scientists postulate a multiple universe reality what they are really doing is postulating multiple realities or dimensions in time and space BUT if the universe is ALL there is then they would exist in the same universe.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

RickD wrote:

It's about as sound as a 4 sided triangle. Unless you can prove any thing can be infinite.

It is a hypothetical question - work with me here.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
Seraph wrote:
I said any thing. God is not a thing. Numbers are infinite also. But they're not things.
Chuck Norris counted to infinity, twice.

Just saying.
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

RickD wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Why not? He's an existing entity, if infinity can apply to him, it can apply to any hypothetical first cause.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Silvertusk wrote:
RickD wrote:

It is a hypothetical question - work with me here.
Ok. Let's assume infinite universes. Can God create any thing infinite? Isn't that some kind of contradiction to who God is?

So hypothetically, if there are infinite universes, then God cannot exist.

Does that make any sense?

-Edward R Murrow

Seraph

Post by Seraph »

The multiverse idea is usually invoked as an alternative to a Creator, so yeah, in the scenario of a multiverse God may well not exist. If he doesn't exist, the multiverse can well be infinite and not need to be compatible with necessary characteristics of a reality where God exists.