The pope said everyone goes to heaven

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The pope said everyone goes to heaven

Post by RickD »

FL wrote:
I went to a Baptist Church where they had me commune with grape juice...I understood why when I found out the Pastor went to Bob Jones University. At another Church, I communed with real wine and a piece of bread! GREAT PLACE!
That taint nuthin. :shakehead:
I know a church that claims they drink literal blood, and eat literal flesh. y[-(
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

PaulSacramento wrote:I said that they believe they have a CHANCE since only God decided who is and who isn't.
Its not just about good deeds of course but the intent behind them and the desire.
Paul,

I don't really see that entry 1260 contradicts 1129 of the Catechism...sorry. Also, nothing I've read on salvation in the Catechism leads me to believe that the RCC has a markedly different view of salvation from the essentials of protestantism. There are differences, such as 846 - and others - that clearly state that a believer in Jesus who knows about the RCC must be part of the RCC. But even this idea is fuzzy because - here and there - the Catechism seems to contradict itself. Perhaps these apparent contradictions are a symptom of the RCC's historical Preterism and its recent tendency towards oecumenicalism.

Then there is entry 847 which answers the same question many Protestants must field: How do those who never heard of Jesus get saved? Indeed, a new topic in the Forum is entitled How Were People Saved Pre-Exodus? The (correct) answers given there by Jac & Gman could have been lifted from the Catechism.

Another thing: we are Protestants discussing the RCC. Now, I am no fan of the RCC but we should at least recognize that the secular media sells sensationalism, wants to belittle the RCC, and is unable to understand the Bible. Anything they say about Christianity has to be viewed with much circumspection: the odds are that they will be wrong.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:I said that they believe they have a CHANCE since only God decided who is and who isn't.
Its not just about good deeds of course but the intent behind them and the desire.
Paul,

I don't really see that entry 1260 contradicts 1129 of the Catechism...sorry. Also, nothing I've read on salvation in the Catechism leads me to believe that the RCC has a markedly different view of salvation from the essentials of protestantism. There are differences, such as 846 - and others - that clearly state that a believer in Jesus who knows about the RCC must be part of the RCC. But even this idea is fuzzy because - here and there - the Catechism seems to contradict itself. Perhaps these apparent contradictions are a symptom of the RCC's historical Preterism and its recent tendency towards oecumenicalism.

Then there is entry 847 which answers the same question many Protestants must field: How do those who never heard of Jesus get saved? Indeed, a new topic in the Forum is entitled How Were People Saved Pre-Exodus? The (correct) answers given there by Jac & Gman could have been lifted from the Catechism.

Another thing: we are Protestants discussing the RCC. Now, I am no fan of the RCC but we should at least recognize that the secular media sells sensationalism, wants to belittle the RCC, and is unable to understand the Bible. Anything they say about Christianity has to be viewed with much circumspection: the odds are that they will be wrong.

FL
I think that, since the RC Catechism was written when the RCC was a distinct organization from the orthodox and the old catholic and, of course, the various protestant denominations, the the RCC could have very easily stated ROMAN CATHOLIC instead of the more "general" catholic they use.
I think that distinction means something.
I was a RC and I am still a Catholic (universalist that does NOT recognize the authority of the Vatican).
That said, personally, I am trying to "reconcile" what the Pope may have meant based on how the Catechism can be interepreted.
Only HE knows for sure what he meant of course.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

PaulSacramento wrote: ...I am trying to "reconcile" what the Pope may have meant based on how the Catechism can be interepreted.
I give Pope Francis the benefit of the doubt. I'm quite sure that his understanding of salvation is in line with that of the institution he heads. 'nuff said!

I'm sure you are aware that Dr Morgentaler died yesterday. In the francophone media here (print and TV), Dr Morgentaler is being portrayed as a champion of women's rights and of women's health. Interviews are made with women's rights advocates and sociologists who have nothing but praise for Dr Morgentaler. The media also interviewed people opposed to Dr Morgentaler but they chose religious nut-jobs who have called him ''contract assassin'' and ''hit man'' and other unflatering descriptives. The media's pro-Morgentaler bias is as big as a HOUSE but I'm sure very few people even recognize it.

This is the point I've been trying to make: you can't trust the secular media when it reports about any denomination of Christianity. No matter the subject - gay marriage, drug use, single-parent families, pedophile priests, whatever! - we are always made out to be retrograde kooks who lack integrity.

FL :amen:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote: ...I am trying to "reconcile" what the Pope may have meant based on how the Catechism can be interepreted.
I give Pope Francis the benefit of the doubt. I'm quite sure that his understanding of salvation is in line with that of the institution he heads. 'nuff said!

I'm sure you are aware that Dr Morgentaler died yesterday. In the francophone media here (print and TV), Dr Morgentaler is being portrayed as a champion of women's rights and of women's health. Interviews are made with women's rights advocates and sociologists who have nothing but praise for Dr Morgentaler. The media also interviewed people opposed to Dr Morgentaler but they chose religious nut-jobs who have called him ''contract assassin'' and ''hit man'' and other unflatering descriptives. The media's pro-Morgentaler bias is as big as a HOUSE but I'm sure very few people even recognize it.

This is the point I've been trying to make: you can't trust the secular media when it reports about any denomination of Christianity. No matter the subject - gay marriage, drug use, single-parent families, pedophile priests, whatever! - we are always made out to be retrograde kooks who lack integrity.

FL :amen:
No argument from me there.
A man that made his fortune based on killing unborn babies is somehow a "champion of women's rights".
Oivey.