Why care about Science if Christianity is true?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Why care about Science if Christianity is true?

Post by Gman »

Zvezdichko wrote: I hate green politics. I hate Greenpeace. I hate econuts. I hate treehuggers. I hate green supporters in the Parliament or in the Congress. They've done too much to harm science. May they rot in hell.
Yes.. When all else fails try sarcasm.. ;)
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
FlawedIntellect
Established Member

Post by FlawedIntellect »

Zvezdichko wrote:Jesus Christ, I have to admit something.

I hate green politics. I hate Greenpeace. I hate econuts. I hate treehuggers. I hate green supporters in the Parliament or in the Congress. They've done too much to harm science. May they rot in hell.

I think that my aversion towards greenism is going to spoil this discussion. Sorry. I can't discuss this because I'm biased. I will never forgive those nuts that they're so against nuclear plants, genetical engineering and science as a whole.

Leaving the discussion for now.
Ya know, Japan is one of the nations that is at the cutting edge of technology. They're pretty opposed to genetic engineering, and they actually require it to be on the label as to whether or not genetically engineered ingredients are used in their food items.

Supposedly, there's a correlation between genetic engineered foods and health problems. So, until genetic engineering can be perfected (and handled according to strict guidelines to ensure health), there's always cross pollination which has actually been shown to have the same desired results of genetic engineering, though I don't know whether or not health problems are associated with that.

Nuclear power is actually pretty clean energy when handled properly, so there's no need to worry too much about that so long as everything is carefully handled.

This ain't about "greenism" as a movement, but rather about taking care of what we have. If there's anything unscientific, it is the destruction of nature. Nature needs to keep existing because, without green stuff (trees, bushes, flowers, etc...) we can't breathe. Period. Does it take a scientist to tell you that?

And you think that everyone who is "green" is anti-science? Not really. And what does being Green have to do with genetic engineering? Absolutely nothing. Thank-you for at least admitting your bias, though.

I'm not quite one of those "green" movement people myself, but I do see the logic and practicality behind recycling and conserving resources, as well as alternate methods of providing power, as well as caring for the planet that we have. After all, in doing these things, there can actually be more scientific advancement and more technologies available. Alternate energy sources mean new possibilities and greater flexibility with more choices. Preservation of nature means that new life can be discovered and explored further, as well as leaving behind a sense of history for a particular location. History may not be science, but it's just as important. So, if anything, recognizing the importance of nature and efforts to preserve it are actually have greater scientific possibilities than you give it credit for.
Zvezdichko
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Zvezdichko »

Yes, I admit my bias.

Because I clearly remember how greens banned genetical engineered plants. It's hard for a person like me to find a job in my field. So let's ban a whole science branch. So let people stay jobless. Damn them. Who cares about green stuff when people don't have jobs and jobs are the most important in this life?

Sorry if this doesn't sound Christians. But those people who offered just their fear and their anti-scientific stuff to ban GMO cannot be forgiven.

No genetic engineering with plants in my country. No jobs.
Svetoslav Alexandrov

B.Sc. in Molecular biology

M.Sc. in Plant physiology
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Zvezdichko wrote:Yes, I admit my bias.

Because I clearly remember how greens banned genetical engineered plants. It's hard for a person like me to find a job in my field. So let's ban a whole science branch. So let people stay jobless. Damn them. Who cares about green stuff when people don't have jobs and jobs are the most important in this life?

Sorry if this doesn't sound Christians. But those people who offered just their fear and their anti-scientific stuff to ban GMO cannot be forgiven.

No genetic engineering with plants in my country. No jobs.
There are actually many jobs in the green technologies.. I would put more faith in that if I were you. :P

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Zvezdichko
Acquainted Member

Post by Zvezdichko »

Yes, but it's still all personal.

I should better admit that it's personal and I dislike everything green, than trying to rationalize wishful thinking - which is an intellectual dishonesty
Svetoslav Alexandrov

B.Sc. in Molecular biology

M.Sc. in Plant physiology
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

FlawedIntellect wrote: Ya know, Japan is one of the nations that is at the cutting edge of technology. They're pretty opposed to genetic engineering, and they actually require it to be on the label as to whether or not genetically engineered ingredients are used in their food items.
Japan is up there... But watch Israel take up the helm in science.. And Israel is only 64 years old.. Now that is a freak of nature. :P

"Israel ranks fourth in the world in scientific activity, according to data compiled for by the Council of Higher Education. The data, which dates to 2005, puts Israel behind Switzerland, Sweden and Denmark in terms of the number of scientific publications per million citizens. The report was released at a conference at Bar-Ilan University yesterday.

In 2005, Israeli scientists published 6,309 essays in foreign scientific journals. Following Israel were Finland, the Netherlands and Canada. The United States placed 12th, and Germany, 15th. Of all the scientific articles published in 2005, 0.89 percent were by Israeli scientists. In 1997, 1.03 percent of all scientific articles in the world were by Israelis.

Israel's role in global scientific activity is almost 10 times larger than its percentage of the world's population."

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/ne ... nds-1.4034

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Zvezdichko wrote:Jesus Christ, I have to admit something.

I hate green politics. I hate Greenpeace. I hate econuts. I hate treehuggers. I hate green supporters in the Parliament or in the Congress. They've done too much to harm science. May they rot in hell.

I think that my aversion towards greenism is going to spoil this discussion. Sorry. I can't discuss this because I'm biased. I will never forgive those nuts that they're so against nuclear plants, genetical engineering and science as a whole.

Leaving the discussion for now.

There will always be extremists on both sides of the fence my brother, please do not stoop to their level.

Find some middle ground between the two opposing factions and lose your hatred, it will bring you only pain.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.