Humans cause yeast to become multicellular, a threat to ID?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
dayage
Valued Member
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:39 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Humans cause yeast to become multicellular, a threat to

#16

Post by dayage » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Ok, Dr. Rana has recorded a response to this issue. Listen to the 1/25/12 episode of "Science News Flash." SNF takes a while to open.
http://www.reasons.org/resources/radio- ... d-podcasts

Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1046
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:48 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Humans cause yeast to become multicellular, a threat to

#17

Post by Ivellious » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Zoegirl: Right. This experiment isn't truly groundbreaking...it's just the potential to open the door for more and more important/groundbreaking experiments. It's just a matter of getting the ball rolling, so to speak, but it has the chance to be that spark.

sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1000
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:56 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Humans cause yeast to become multicellular, a threat to

#18

Post by sandy_mcd » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:17 pm

dayage wrote:Ok, Dr. Rana has recorded a response to this issue. Listen to the 1/25/12 episode of "Science News Flash." SNF takes a while to open.
http://www.reasons.org/resources/radio- ... d-podcasts
http://c450913.r13.cf2.rackcdn.com/snf20120125fr.mp3? direct link
I'm quitting at 7+ minutes - nothing addressing the research yet, just background

sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1000
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:56 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Humans cause yeast to become multicellular, a threat to

#19

Post by sandy_mcd » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:22 pm

MarcusOfLycia wrote:If this doesn't prove macro-evolution, will any of you change your minds?
What? This is the same sort of unrelated argument seen in the tubercle thread. This one little experiment by itself is not going to prove or disprove evolution. I just ate a candy bar. Does that prove or disprove evolution? The experiment shows that in some cases a unicellular organism can clump together. There may or may not be significantly different roles for different cells. So how can this experiment disprove evolution?

sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1000
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:56 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Humans cause yeast to become multicellular, a threat to

#20

Post by sandy_mcd » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:25 pm

Ivellious wrote:Zoegirl: Right. This experiment isn't truly groundbreaking...it's just the potential to open the door for more and more important/groundbreaking experiments. It's just a matter of getting the ball rolling, so to speak, but it has the chance to be that spark.
Perhaps due to science textbooks or tv shows, there seems to be an impression in the general public that scientists do a lot of earth-shattering experiments, proving, disproving, or discovering major results routinely.

User avatar
zoegirl
Old School
Posts: 3927
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:59 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: east coast
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Humans cause yeast to become multicellular, a threat to

#21

Post by zoegirl » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:07 pm

lol, that was the impression from the media reports and the scientists...so we are judging using their excitement level
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"

User avatar
MarcusOfLycia
Senior Member
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:03 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Location: West Michigan, United States
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Humans cause yeast to become multicellular, a threat to

#22

Post by MarcusOfLycia » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:30 pm

sandy_mcd wrote:
dayage wrote:Ok, Dr. Rana has recorded a response to this issue. Listen to the 1/25/12 episode of "Science News Flash." SNF takes a while to open.
http://www.reasons.org/resources/radio- ... d-podcasts
http://c450913.r13.cf2.rackcdn.com/snf20120125fr.mp3? direct link
I'm quitting at 7+ minutes - nothing addressing the research yet, just background
Its a 50 minute clip and you quit after 7 minutes because they are still discussing the background? Seriously?
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"

sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1000
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:56 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Humans cause yeast to become multicellular, a threat to

#23

Post by sandy_mcd » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:43 pm

MarcusOfLycia wrote:Its a 50 minute clip and you quit after 7 minutes because they are still discussing the background? Seriously?
Yep, seriously. I really dislike lectures. The stuff I know is hard to skip and then I stop paying attention and miss something i don't know about. I'd much rather read something where I can go at my own pace. It's a lot easier to skip around and pay as much attention as i want to what i want. Also for me it's easier to grasp things that are written than spoken.

cubeus19
Established Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:17 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Humans cause yeast to become multicellular, a threat to

#24

Post by cubeus19 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:32 am

i've just read alittle bit of this and I'm VERY nervous about this. Would this prove darwinian evolution? :shakehead:

User avatar
MarcusOfLycia
Senior Member
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:03 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Location: West Michigan, United States
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Humans cause yeast to become multicellular, a threat to

#25

Post by MarcusOfLycia » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:34 am

sandy_mcd wrote:
MarcusOfLycia wrote:Its a 50 minute clip and you quit after 7 minutes because they are still discussing the background? Seriously?
Yep, seriously. I really dislike lectures. The stuff I know is hard to skip and then I stop paying attention and miss something i don't know about. I'd much rather read something where I can go at my own pace. It's a lot easier to skip around and pay as much attention as i want to what i want. Also for me it's easier to grasp things that are written than spoken.
Seems a bit unfair to reject what someone has to say because of the format it is in.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"

Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1046
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:48 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Humans cause yeast to become multicellular, a threat to

#26

Post by Ivellious » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:47 am

Cubeus...As has been stated before, this doesn't "prove" or even come close to solidifying everything. If the genetic testing and follow up tests/experiments are successful, however, then it would provide significant evidence for Darwinian Evolution.

Besides, I wouldn't be too nervous. On one hand, even if this turns out to be a breakthrough in evolutionary study, that could take years to solidify what is going on, how it works, to test and re-test everything for reproducibility, etc. On the other hand, if it's legit, why be nervous? I'm not trying to be mean here, but if it's true, why should anyone be worried about it? Some extreme anti evolution groups would have less ammo to through at evolution, and the Theory of Evolution would be even stronger. Science will have advanced. That doesn't stop you from believing what you want at all (and if you follow my creed, evolution and a metaphorical reading on Genesis aren't mutually exclusive...).

sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1000
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:56 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Humans cause yeast to become multicellular, a threat to

#27

Post by sandy_mcd » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:09 am

MarcusOfLycia wrote:Seems a bit unfair to reject what someone has to say because of the format it is in.
Yes, it is. That's why some people will make an emotional appeal, knowing they can convince some people with emotion whereas more logical people will ignore (but be annoyed by) the emotion and look at the facts. But what does this statement have to do with anything?

User avatar
MarcusOfLycia
Senior Member
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:03 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Location: West Michigan, United States
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Humans cause yeast to become multicellular, a threat to

#28

Post by MarcusOfLycia » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:56 am

sandy_mcd wrote:
MarcusOfLycia wrote:Seems a bit unfair to reject what someone has to say because of the format it is in.
Yes, it is. That's why some people will make an emotional appeal, knowing they can convince some people with emotion whereas more logical people will ignore (but be annoyed by) the emotion and look at the facts. But what does this statement have to do with anything?
Well, we are having a discussion here about a news story. People are presenting views from different perspectives. You are rejecting a viewpoint you disagree with because of it's format. That seems to violate the spirit of people discussing the issue. That's what it has to 'do with anything'.

I'm not making an emotional appeal. What is the point in having a discussion at all if one side is going to reject information they don't like because of the packaging? I guess I feel like it defeats the purpose.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"

sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1000
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:56 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Humans cause yeast to become multicellular, a threat to

#29

Post by sandy_mcd » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:57 pm

MarcusOfLycia wrote:You are rejecting a viewpoint you disagree with because of it's format. What is the point in having a discussion at all if one side is going to reject information they don't like because of the packaging?
I'm not rejecting anything. I am ignoring it because I don't want to spend at least 50 minutes listening to it. [How many people here have listened to the entire presentation?]
MarcusOfLycia wrote:I'm not making an emotional appeal.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were. I was just giving that as an example where someone logical would not reject an argument due to the presentation.

Silverfang
Acquainted Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:15 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Humans cause yeast to become multicellular, a threat to

#30

Post by Silverfang » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:50 pm

OK so nothing is proven or unproven till we get multiple experiments with the same results. My next question would be what would Happen to ID/creationism if this was true? Would they lose any credibility?

Post Reply