question about bible and killing?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
jakobp
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes

question about bible and killing?

Post by jakobp »

I was a quick conversation with an atheist and he was saying how christianity and islam really aren't that different cause they both condone killing and he gave me these two examples:
(Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)
(2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

what do you guys think?
narnia4
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: question about bible and killing?

Post by narnia4 »

Looks like somebody missed out on the bulk of the New Testament and the Ten Commandments. Those two verses are very specific circumstances, its not like Islam at all.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Vespetta
Newbie Member

Post by Vespetta »

Exodus 20:13: Thou shalt not kill

Matthew 19:18: He said to Him, “Which ones?” Jesus said, “ ‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,

There are plenty of verses against murder, he must be pretty selective in what he reads.
"We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism."

-- Richard Lewontin
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

You forget that modern day Christians don't listen to half the Bible. Parts like those don't count, according to them. Of course, it's hypocritical, but don't tell them that :p

And Islam and Christianity have their differences, but they did come from the exact same source (Judaism) and the majority of the main aspects are similar. The differences are in the details.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Ivellious wrote:You forget that modern day Christians don't listen to half the Bible. Parts like those don't count, according to them. Of course, it's hypocritical, but don't tell them that :p
All parts count. Most Theologians have believed this through the ages. But you also have to understand the context. The context of Chronicles is the history of a particular nation struggling against all sorts of foreign aggressors yet protected by God when they would hear Him out. You will find that Israel's foreign policy is fairly docile for the time period. This text does not order Christians to kill those who don't believe in God.

If someone doesn't consider context, then it would be wise for everyone else to forgo considering what they have to say.
Ivellious wrote:And Islam and Christianity have their differences, but they did come from the exact same source (Judaism) and the majority of the main aspects are similar. The differences are in the details.
The differences are actually quite profound. Islam is not just based on Judaism; it is an extension of Christianity (historically), but it does not adopt much of the Theology of either. Do you know what the differences are?
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Judaism, Christianity and Islam are historically tied in places in terms of monotheism. Islam does have both Jewish and Christian influences (and there's places too where I believe Islam subsequently impacted some elements of Christian tradition.) Islam has deep roots as well in the local religions within Arabia that heavily influenced and sourced a lot of what Islam started as and subsequently became.

My opinion anyway. There's a pretty extensive examination of Islam in Will and Ariel Durant's Story of Civilization that I read quite a while back. I'd have to review it and could also check other places but at least in terms of culture, history and influence upon Mohammed and those elements following in it's continued formation there are many Christian and Jewish influences. Mohammed interacted with Jews and Christians through trading envoys and assimilated some of what he thought they taught.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Sure, but the sources I have read do not include Judaism in the "roots" in the religion.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

@Ivel
"And Islam and Christianity have their differences, but they did come from the exact same source (Judaism) and the majority of the main aspects are similar. The differences are in the details."
Ivel, you can see the link I have posted below, it shows how much difference on major points exist between Islam and Christianity.
http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... ilit=islam
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
jakobp
Familiar Member

Post by jakobp »

I'm wondering about those two verses? the first one pretty much, at least what i got, that you can kill anybody who isn't listening to a priest...what do you think?
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

Well, the way I see and have read about the roots of Islam...

Judaism came first of the three monotheistic religions. Most if not all of the prophets in the Christian and Islam faiths were Jewish. Islam and Christianity came later. Christianity is based mostly on the teachings of Jesus Christ, while Islam is generally the teachings of the prophet Mohammed. They are obviously all interrelated, all being monotheistic religions with beginnings in the Middle East. The most important distinction between Christianity and the other two is the place of Jesus Christ...Christianity views Jesus as the son of God, while Judaism and Islam see Jesus as a very important and influential prophet (but still a man). In the early stages of both Islam and Christianity, all three religions were heavily influenced by each other. Obviously, Christianity takes a great deal from Judaism, considering all of its founders and followers were initially Jewish. The teachings of the prophet Mohammed were heavily influenced and based off of Jewish and Christian prophets and their messages (including Jesus). Thus, it can be said that Islam has roots in Judaism, if not as closely as Christianity. One could say that Islam combines the God of Christianity and Judaism with the traditions of more Arabic regions.

When I say that they are all similar, I mean that the central concepts are similar and influenced by each other, while the details regarding daily life and so on are where the differences come in. Let's face it, the "God" referenced and prayed to in all three faiths is essentially the same God, though all three take a different view of that God and how best to serve and worship.

And as far as picking and choosing the parts you want to read and believe in...Yes, context is important. But the Deuteronomy 17 verse is rather clear that worshipping false gods warrants the death penalty by stoning...so what context voids that statement?
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

jakobp wrote:I was a quick conversation with an atheist and he was saying how christianity and islam really aren't that different cause they both condone killing and he gave me these two examples:
(Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)
(2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

what do you guys think?
Who do you think the Lord G-d is in these verses?
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

do you suggest your Bible holds the commands of multiple Gods? Would that not be blasphemous?
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Ivellious wrote:Well, the way I see and have read about the roots of Islam...

Judaism came first of the three monotheistic religions. Most if not all of the prophets in the Christian and Islam faiths were Jewish. Islam and Christianity came later. Christianity is based mostly on the teachings of Jesus Christ, while Islam is generally the teachings of the prophet Mohammed. They are obviously all interrelated, all being monotheistic religions with beginnings in the Middle East. The most important distinction between Christianity and the other two is the place of Jesus Christ...Christianity views Jesus as the son of God, while Judaism and Islam see Jesus as a very important and influential prophet (but still a man). In the early stages of both Islam and Christianity, all three religions were heavily influenced by each other. Obviously, Christianity takes a great deal from Judaism, considering all of its founders and followers were initially Jewish. The teachings of the prophet Mohammed were heavily influenced and based off of Jewish and Christian prophets and their messages (including Jesus). Thus, it can be said that Islam has roots in Judaism, if not as closely as Christianity. One could say that Islam combines the God of Christianity and Judaism with the traditions of more Arabic regions.

When I say that they are all similar, I mean that the central concepts are similar and influenced by each other, while the details regarding daily life and so on are where the differences come in. Let's face it, the "God" referenced and prayed to in all three faiths is essentially the same God, though all three take a different view of that God and how best to serve and worship.

And as far as picking and choosing the parts you want to read and believe in...Yes, context is important. But the Deuteronomy 17 verse is rather clear that worshipping false gods warrants the death penalty by stoning...so what context voids that statement?
Context still applies. Look at the history of Israel. Israel were Gods chosen people that was going to bring about the messiah that would save all of humanity. They were moving into an area surrounded by quite nasty pagan societies. They were held to a much higher standard than normal as they were to be a light on a hill - they were a holy race. So yes some of the laws seem harsh - but if you read "Is God a moral Monster" by Paul Copan then you will realise that some of these punishments were last resorts. We as Christians are no longer held by the law as Jesus came to fulfill it. So it is not that we are ignoring large parts of the bible - is just that large parts of it no longer applies to us. A huge difference.

Silvertusk.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

My problem with that is: How do we decide which parts no longer apply to us? Why don't the parts about homosexuality and so on only apply to the "higher race"? It's not like the Bible clearly says "by the way, 2000 years from now you'll no longer have to follow these laws, so you can breeze over these parts and get to the parts about you later."
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Ivellious wrote:My problem with that is: How do we decide which parts no longer apply to us? Why don't the parts about homosexuality and so on only apply to the "higher race"? It's not like the Bible clearly says "by the way, 2000 years from now you'll no longer have to follow these laws, so you can breeze over these parts and get to the parts about you later."
It's also not like the Bible is the only thing Christians have ever written. There is a lot of material written throughout the ages that answers your questions.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"