DNA

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: DNA

Post by jlay »

Time is in fact hero of the plot. ... Given so much time, the impossible becomes possible, the possible probable, and the probable virtually certain. Later in 1968 Francis Crick would suggest that the origin of the genetic code ... might be a 'frozen accident'."
Can that statement be verified scientifically? No.
"... most origin-of-life theorists after 1960 attempted to address the problem of the origin of biological information in a completely different way. Researchers began to look for self-organizational laws and properties of chemical attraction that might explain the origin of the specified information in DNA and proteins.
Presupposes laws that necessitate life, with absolutely no way to account for such laws. The same could be said for gravity and any other law of physics as they are all 'necessary' for life to exist. This line of thinking is the ultimate form of begging the question. "Life exists because life exists." Brilliant. This is merely one of those 'wipe the brow' moments for atheists, who can say, "Whew.. I can ignore the God problem a little longer."
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

jlay wrote:"Whew.. I can ignore the God problem a little longer."
Yes let's ignore the God of the Bible who cares about orphans, the poor, the old, the sick, and the weak.. Yes let's create a bogus science that has no real validity that will turn people away from knowing a God that promotes love.. Yeah let's do that because it is cool... :roll:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gman wrote:
Yes let's ignore the God of the Bible who cares about orphans, the poor, the old, the sick, and the weak..
Gman, tell me, does this "God of the Bile", have the motto, "liver and let liver"? :pound: :pound: "God of the Bile". Sorry, Gman, I couldn't resist. :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

RickD wrote:Gman wrote:
Yes let's ignore the God of the Bile who cares about orphans, the poor, the old, the sick, and the weak..
Gman, tell me, does this "God of the Bile", have the motto, "liver and let liver"? :pound: :pound: "God of the Bile". Sorry, Gman, I couldn't resist. :pound:
Well, Rick, you gotta know that the 'god of the bile' has a lot of guts! :lol: :pound:
-
-
-
Sorry Gman - could not resist!
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

B. W. wrote:
RickD wrote:Gman wrote:
Yes let's ignore the God of the Bile who cares about orphans, the poor, the old, the sick, and the weak..
Well, Rick, you gotta know that the 'god of the bile' has a lot of guts! :lol: :pound:
-
-
-
Sorry Gman - could not resist!
B.W.,
You better duct for cover, after that response. 8-}2
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

This thread is making my stomach hurt.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jlay wrote:This thread is making my stomach hurt.
jlay, I can't believe you had the gall to say that!

-Edward R Murrow

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Hey look again.. I don't sea anything wrong... :P
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gman wrote:
Hey look again.. I don't sea anything wrong...
Ha ha . You don't sea anything wrong? Are you going out to sea, to see what's wrong? :twisted:
Are we supposed to do this, Gman? It's fun, but it doesn't seem right.

-Edward R Murrow

1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

http://www.nature.com/news/2009/090513/ ... 9.471.html

An elegant experiment has quashed a major objection to the theory that life on Earth originated with molecules of RNA.

John Sutherland and his colleagues from the University of Manchester, UK, created a ribonucleotide, a building block of RNA, from simple chemicals under conditions that might have existed on the early Earth.

"This is extremely strong evidence for the RNA world. We don't know if these chemical steps reflect what actually happened, but before this work there were large doubts that it could happen at all," says Donna Blackmond, a chemist at Imperial College London.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
SnowDrops
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by SnowDrops »

1over137 wrote:http://www.nature.com/news/2009/090513/ ... 9.471.html

An elegant experiment has quashed a major objection to the theory that life on Earth originated with molecules of RNA.

John Sutherland and his colleagues from the University of Manchester, UK, created a ribonucleotide, a building block of RNA, from simple chemicals under conditions that might have existed on the early Earth.

"This is extremely strong evidence for the RNA world. We don't know if these chemical steps reflect what actually happened, but before this work there were large doubts that it could happen at all," says Donna Blackmond, a chemist at Imperial College London.
The fact that it's news they could create something in the lab just shows how uncertain this is (origin of DNA from non-living things...).
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.