DNA

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: DNA

Post by RickD »

Murray wrote:O well, I didn't even realize who that man was.....
That's ok, Murray. Hovind is quite well known on these boards. y/:) It just shows that we need to be careful as to what we link, to help make an argument. I did the same thing a while back. While searching, I came upon an article that backed up a point I was trying to make. I didn't realize what other "stuff" the author was involved in. Just be careful and diligent when searching for answers.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

Well i didnt really use him as an example, just kinda stated the number he said was far far far larger than the scientific number i posted (600 compared to 119,000)
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Can somebody explain to me who Kent Hovind is?
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Murray wrote:Can somebody explain to me who Kent Hovind is?
I could, but it would probably be better if you googled him, to see for yourself.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

spartanII
Established Member

Post by spartanII »

Basically, he makes Ken Ham look like a good man.
No, really... part of me despises Kent Hovind. He's a quick talker, ignorant snappy wit, random sources, and has an annoying voice.
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

spartanII wrote:
No, really... part of me despises Kent Hovind. He's a quick talker, ignorant snappy wit, random sources, and has an annoying voice.
Spartan, please be careful not to personally attack Mr. Hovind. It's one thing to call into question his methods and tactics, but please don't make it personal. While you or I may not agree with Ken Ham or Kent Hovind regarding their young earth beliefs, they are Brothers in Christ.
This is coming from someone(me) who has pointed out their errors in the past. So I do understand your feelings towards them.

-Edward R Murrow

spartanII
Established Member

Post by spartanII »

RickD wrote:
spartanII wrote:
Spartan, please be careful not to personally attack Mr. Hovind. It's one thing to call into question his methods and tactics, but please don't make it personal. While you or I may not agree with Ken Ham or Kent Hovind regarding their young earth beliefs, they are Brothers in Christ.
This is coming from someone(me) who has pointed out their errors in the past. So I do understand your feelings towards them.
I understand, sorry. :/ I'm getting better with that. my bad.
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:Who says DNA appeared randomly?
So, then, it was created by God?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

1over137 wrote:
I think my question is straight forward.
Who is claiming that DNA appeared randomly?
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Let's drop the word randomly.

Do you think DNA appear through natural unguided processes?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

And natural selection cannot be a factor in any way since there was no 'life' per se for natural selection to 'select' for. So what is left then other than complete randomness or (gasp!) the unthinkable?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
1over137 wrote:
Oh, Sorry. I've just found the pdf on the web by SC Meyer: DNA and the Origin of Life. The answer to your question may be found on page 14 and the following pages. More on that later.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

1over137 wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
1over137 wrote:
Oh, Sorry. I've just found the pdf on the web by SC Meyer: DNA and the Origin of Life. The answer to your question may be found on page 14 and the following pages. More on that later.
So, some quotes from that pdf.

"... origin of life researchers have proposed three broad types of naturalistic explanation to explain the origin of specified genetic information: those emphasizing chance, necessity, or the combination of the two." (p.14)

"In 1954 the physicist George Wald, for example, argued for the causal efficacy of chance in conjunction vast expanses of time. As he explained, "Time is in fact hero of the plot. ... Given so much time, the impossible becomes possible, the possible probable, and the probable virtually certain. Later in 1968 Francis Crick would suggest that the origin of the genetic code ... might be a 'frozen accident'." (p.14)

"While outside origin-of-life biology some may still invoke 'chance' as an explanation for the origin of life, most serious origin-of-life researchers now reject it as an adequate causal explanation for the origin of biological information. ... many calculations have been made to determine the probability of formulating functional proteins and nucleic acids at random. ... these calculations often assumed extremely favorable prebiotic conditions, much more time than was actually available on the early earth, and theoretically maximal reaction rates among constituent monomers. Such calculations have invariably shown that the probability of obtaining functionally sequenced biomacromolecules at random is, in Prirogine's words, 'vanishingly small ... even on the scale of ... billions of years'." (p.14-15)

Now something about self-organizational scenarios.

"... most origin-of-life theorists after 1960 attempted to address the problem of the origin of biological information in a completely different way. Researchers began to look for self-organizational laws and properties of chemical attraction that might explain the origin of the specified information in DNA and proteins. Rather than invoking chance, these theories invoked necessity. ... At that time, several researchers began to propose that deterministic forcers (stereochemical necessity) made the origin of life not just probable, but inevitable. ..." (p.21)

... to be continued ... in case of questions.

#foreverinmyheart
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

jlay wrote:Let's drop the word randomly.

Do you think DNA appear through natural unguided processes?
By unguided, you don't mean natural laws and predictable cause and effect.

I know that I do not know the origin of DNA.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:I know that I do not know the origin of DNA.
Have you read The Language of God? It offers a hint. :D
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.