If Christs bones were found (hypothetically of course)

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
spartanII
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

If Christs bones were found (hypothetically of course)

Post by spartanII »

How would you react? My friend asked me this today. If it could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt...
Of course, I believe He rose to heaven, but still... just a hypothetical.

Also, just for fun, did Muhammad rise to heaven within the Islamic faith, if so, if we found the bones of Muhammad, how would you react/do you think Muslims would go crazy and riot?
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: If Christs bones were found (hypothetically of course)

Post by Murray »

If his bones were found we would really have no way of knowing if they were his or not lol.
But I guess if it was insanely conclusive that they were his then I assume most Christians would just convert to Judaism.

And if Muhammads were found, they would blame the jews for planting them or something.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Muhammad died though didn't he? Are his bones in Mecca or something?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Silvertusk wrote:Muhammad died though didn't he? Are his bones in Mecca or something?
He didn't die. He rode on a flying horse from Mecca to Jerusalem where he ascended to heaven. The Dome of the Rock is on the site of this ascension.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

I thought that was the site of Jesus's ascension?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Silvertusk wrote:I thought that was the site of Jesus's ascension?
Not quite, but Muhammad copied Jesus in that he took off like a helicopter...from our perspective. (The Hadith isn't clear on what happened to the flying horse after The Prophet* ascended...I think the Greek myth of Pegasus may come from Muhammad's abandoned horse flying around Athens.) From the Muslim perspective Jesus didn't die on the cross, an imposter did. Jesus rose bodily to Allah and will return to give you a thrashing.

FL

*(Peace be unto him) :pound:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:(Peace be unto him) :pound:
Upon him, FL, upon him, get it right please, otherwise you will bring the wrath of the flying horse upon us.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Not quite, but Muhammad copied Jesus in that he took off like a helicopter...from our perspective. (The Hadith isn't clear on what happened to the flying horse after The Prophet* ascended...I think the Greek myth of Pegasus may come from Muhammad's abandoned horse flying around Athens.) From the Muslim perspective Jesus didn't die on the cross, an imposter did. Jesus rose bodily to Allah and will return to give you a thrashing.

FL

*(Peace be unto him)
The concept of the flying horse is in fact older then the obvious Greek. it is also present in the medo-persian mythologies as well and probably was borrowed into the Greek myths from there. Muhammad had close ties to the Iranian subculture as most of his associates were from that region and probably from there they copied the winged creatures ascent into the heavens.

Also just as a point to ponder, do you guys know that the reason there always is a tower in a mosque - is because the ancient Persians mythologies concluded that the higher you are from the ground the closer you are to God. Hence the concept of ascension was one with a psychological effect. Muhammad successfully copied that, so when he preached the ascension incident to his followers the next day, he was not just describing a tour, he was implying, second-ness to God, which in his opinion would be even higher than that of Moses account on mount sanai. So he was establishing himself as the highest person to claim such a feat. And when he told people of it, a lot of people turned away from his discipleship, as he had claimed to seen God but was without a miracle or a sign, or even unlike Moses, whose face shone after he had been in the presence of God. Muhammad had no such signs and so initially he had a hard time selling his story.
He borrowed extensively from Jews, Christians and Persian customs, including Zoroastrianism and the magi cults. That is also the reason that the Islamic calender follows the lunar calendar and the moon crescent is always present on the mosques. That symbolism has gotten so much infused that hardly anyone notices it anymore, but it is there if you look closely.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com