Meteorites brought DNA to earth?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
jakobp
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes

Meteorites brought DNA to earth?

Post by jakobp »

http://news.yahoo.com/meteorites-carrie ... 54686.html

i was wondering what your opinion was on this article and how it states that DNA was most likely brought here by meteorites
DRDS
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Meteorites brought DNA to earth?

Post by DRDS »

I'd say this is a rehashing of previous "discoveries" of alien life or dna on meteorites. This article that Rich Deem posted a year or so ago responds to these claims.

http://www.godandscience.org/evolution/ ... orite.html

I hope that helps.
jakobp
Familiar Member

Post by jakobp »

But this discovery seems to be pretty recent and many sites have posted it on the same day, so idk if it anyway affects Deem's article
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

jakobp wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/meteorites-carrie ... 54686.html

i was wondering what your opinion was on this article and how it states that DNA was most likely brought here by meteorites
This is old news... People can believe anything they want. Maybe it was Santa Claus, maybe it was ET.. etc. Anything but a loving God. No, let's not go there.. Cheez :roll:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Maybe the scientoligists were right!! :shock:
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
kmr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by kmr »

@ Gman:

I know what you mean... when I talk with people about these things, usually they are like:

ONE: "Oh yes, meteorites sound like a plausible theory!"
ANOTHER: Mmmhmm, it could have risen from lightning...
ANOTHER: or maybe it was just 'some weird chemical thing'!
FIRST ONE: Oh yes, these are all great ideas!
FIRST ONE: It's good to know that we can accept so many thoughts on the matter!
ME: Maybe there was an intelligent desinger!
THEM: Hold on, now... I understand and respect that it is at least a possibility, and that you have a right to your opinion. It COULD have been ID. But try not to include it with the actual scientific theories.

Haha, this friend of mine went on to say that I was "Too smart to be a christian"... :?
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

kmr wrote:@ Gman:

I know what you mean... when I talk with people about these things, usually they are like:

ONE: "Oh yes, meteorites sound like a plausible theory!"
ANOTHER: Mmmhmm, it could have risen from lightning...
ANOTHER: or maybe it was just 'some weird chemical thing'!
FIRST ONE: Oh yes, these are all great ideas!
FIRST ONE: It's good to know that we can accept so many thoughts on the matter!
ME: Maybe there was an intelligent desinger!
THEM: Hold on, now... I understand and respect that it is at least a possibility, and that you have a right to your opinion. It COULD have been ID. But try not to include it with the actual scientific theories.

Haha, this friend of mine went on to say that I was "Too smart to be a christian"... :?
Or this topic always reminds me of ther 2001 movie - Evolution - that takes this concept to a whole new level!!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

It's evolution WOW... It splices, it dices. Heck, with one swipe of evolution WOW it can create an entire human being out of nothing.. Absolutely brilliant folks. Having problems with a co-worker? It's no problem for evolution WOW, one swipe and you can recreate a new one. :shock:

To get one.. Call 800-WORSHIPME
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
jakobp
Familiar Member

Post by jakobp »

I'm sorry, i don't want to sound like a jerk, but no one really answered my question. The article that i was given sent to an article about alien life on a meteor, but not about DNA building blocks being sent here and creating life. Can someone be a little more specific?
Mariolee
Recognized Member

Post by Mariolee »

I was also looking for some scientific responses from some of the members of the community, but it seems we've gone off on a tangent.
How do some people mess up a message about "love" and "forgiveness" so much?!
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

jakobp wrote:I'm sorry, i don't want to sound like a jerk, but no one really answered my question. The article that i was given sent to an article about alien life on a meteor, but not about DNA building blocks being sent here and creating life. Can someone be a little more specific?
Mariolee wrote:I was also looking for some scientific responses from some of the members of the community, but it seems we've gone off on a tangent.
OK... So we know that the probability of life arising by chance is extremely unlikely on Earth. And since the Earth is the only life-supporting place we know of, it's clear that it's even more unlikely that it would arise somewhere else, and fall to Earth. The probability of this happening is virtually zero, because the spontaneous creation of life, apart from its standard problems, would have to face a few more, such as:

1) If life came to be on another planet, it would somehow have to be launched into the outer space;
2) It would have to travel for years to get here;
3) Meanwhile, it would have to survive the radiation, low temperature of space, lack of oxygen, and finally entering the Earth's atmosphere.

I know that you asked about building blocks, not life, but there is no difference whether the building blocks were made here or in space, if they can't produce life. Scientists have tried to emulate the best life-supporting conditions, built DNAs, but have still failed to create life.

By the way, claims about ET "life" appear every few months, they sometimes reach the headlines, but when a refutation is published a few weeks later, you can find it only on scientific sites and magazines. The last such claim I remember was in March, when alien "life" was allegedly found in meteorites:
http://godandscience.org/evolution/nasa ... orite.html

I also suggest checking these materials, it's a YEC site, but has a few good points on ET "life":
http://creation.com/alien-life-ufo-ques ... nd-answers
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

"2) It would have to travel for years to get here;"

Not just years, but billions/trillions of years. Unless it were going the speed of light (or it came from another planet in our solar system), we'd be waiting longer than since the creation of the universe just for it to arrive.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"