The Hindu milk miracle

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
smiley
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

The Hindu milk miracle

Post by smiley »

Are you familiar with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_milk_miracle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiyTogk9kp4

Any plausible scientific explanations?
"Imagine if we picked the wrong god. Every time we go to church, we're just make him madder and madder." - Homer Simpson
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The Hindu milk miracle

Post by Gman »

smiley wrote:Are you familiar with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_milk_miracle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiyTogk9kp4

Any plausible scientific explanations?
Only demonic ones most likely... 2 Thessalonians 2:9

Or it is a spoof...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
smiley
Established Member

Post by smiley »

Gman wrote: Only demonic ones most likely... 2 Thessalonians 2:9
That's an interesting avenue that I've contemplated, but it seems to me the non-Christian can use the same reasoning for Christian miracles.

For example, the Muslim can say that the resurrection of Jesus was something Satan from the Qur'an did to fool people.
Or it is a spoof...
No, it's not. It was on the news in dozens of countries across the planet.
"Imagine if we picked the wrong god. Every time we go to church, we're just make him madder and madder." - Homer Simpson
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

smiley wrote:That's an interesting avenue that I've contemplated, but it seems to me the non-Christian can use the same reasoning for Christian miracles.

For example, the Muslim can say that the resurrection of Jesus was something Satan from the Qur'an did to fool people.
Of course.. No surprise there. Many also accused Jesus of having satanic powers in his day. Luke 11:14-15 Actually I would be surprised if they didn't whenever they saw a miracle.
I believe a majority of them are fake or are altered in some way. As an example you never see the entire spoon under the mouth of the idol. It simply could be bent to drip off that end.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
smiley
Established Member

Post by smiley »

Gman wrote: Of course.. No surprise there. Many also accused Jesus of having satanic powers in his day. Luke 11:14-15 Actually I would be surprised if they didn't whenever they saw a miracle.
Okay - so how is your reasoning any better than theirs?

I believe a majority of them are fake or are altered in some way.
No reason to assume that. It was a public event, that occured more than once, and was recorded on cameras. You're just applying an unreasonable level of skepticism because doing otherwise would contradict your philosophical presuppositions.
As an example you never see the entire spoon under the mouth of the idol. It simply could be bent to drip off that end.
Oh please. This clearly isn't true. You can see the whole spoon beneath the statue's mouth in 0:08. For crying out loud, millions of Hindu followers participated in the event, and even a group of scientists went there to investigate it. It's not a hoax.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

How did the magicians in Pharoah's court replicate Moses' miracles?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
smiley
Established Member

Post by smiley »

Gman has brought up a similar point already.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Yes I know. Remind me what your answer was?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
smiley
Established Member

Post by smiley »

That his reasoning is no better than the Pharisees whom he chastises.

In any event, the point of this thread isn't to figure out how this phenomenon can fit in the context of a Christian worldview, it is to try to offer a plausible scientific explanation if one can be given.
humblesmurph
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by humblesmurph »

That's freaky. Gotta get Penn and Teller on that.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

smiley wrote:That his reasoning is no better than the Pharisees whom he chastises.

In any event, the point of this thread isn't to figure out how this phenomenon can fit in the context of a Christian worldview, it is to try to offer a plausible scientific explanation if one can be given.
Why do you assume that a Christian Worldview and science are incompatable?
humblesmurph
Established Member

Post by humblesmurph »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
smiley wrote:That his reasoning is no better than the Pharisees whom he chastises.

Why do you assume that a Christian Worldview and science are incompatable?
Wait, they aren't? Don't Christians have to take some things on faith? Isn't the idea of somebody raising from the dead contrary to science?
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Science as a method is in no ways contrary to Christianity nor incompatible.

Methodological materialism extrapolated out from science with the assumption that there is no God at work in the universe is not science; it is a worldview and philosophical framework that most definitely is not compatible with Christianity.

I'm curious as to why a professed Christian is confusing the two.

That's all.
humblesmurph
Established Member

Post by humblesmurph »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Science as a method is in no ways contrary to Christianity nor incompatible.

Methodological materialism extrapolated out from science with the assumption that there is no God at work in the universe is not science; it is a worldview and philosophical framework that most definitely is not compatible with Christianity.

I'm curious as to why a professed Christian is confusing the two.

That's all.
oh.
smiley
Established Member

Post by smiley »

Canuckster1127 wrote: Why do you assume that a Christian Worldview and science are incompatable?
I am...not. I don't know how you got to that conclusion.

I already demonstrated why attributing it to demons forces you to rely on double-standards with respect to miracles in the Bible. I do not, therefore, consider this explanation to be adequate.
Canuckster1127 wrote: I'm curious as to why a professed Christian is confusing the two.
Oh please. I can just smell sarcasm here. Really, I take offense at this. No matter how hard it is to believe, the fact that I argue against Christians doesn't make me a non-Christian.