Hawking - God did not create the universe

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
derrick09
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Hawking - God did not create the universe

Post by derrick09 »

Here is a new article in response to Hawkings book...

http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles ... me&topic2=
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

derrick09 wrote:Here is a new article in response to Hawkings book...

http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles ... me&topic2=
McGrath is a well reasoned theologian...

Good article.
narnia4
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by narnia4 »

I'm glad to see a number of good articles out on this, more than I expected at least. I probably underestimate the average Christian who doesn't know anything about philosophy or theology, but I worry about those who will be shocked at every sensational headline and follow whatever celeb scientists say just because of their name. At this point I'd be fine if the story just went away, but I'm glad to see some good responses, even from scientists who are atheists.
Young, Restless, Reformed
derrick09
Valued Member

Post by derrick09 »

A couple more questions, if this somehow develops into something that has merit (which from what I've seen thusfar, it has not) but if somehow it does, how will it effect the cosmological argument (which to me, is the flagship argument for Theism and is crucial for Christian Theism much like the resurrection argument)? If this book and future studies and expiriments somehow prove this book's main points, I assume it will either destroy the cosmological argument or at the very least, alter it a great deal to where it's no longer as effective as it used to be. So for us apologists, what would be our next best arguments to fall back on? Would it be the ontological argument? The Moral argument? Or would we stick strictly to Christ's resurrection argument to salvage the case for Christian Theism? Thanks and God bless. :wave:
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

Actually, I'm not certain that this does weaken the cosmological argument, even if proven. As Craig pointed out, the "nothing" that Hawking is talking about isn't the same as nothing in a philosophical sense, and there's still the question of "where did the laws come from". I don't think any atheists has very good answers to that. Rich's article also points out that the theory may be impossible to prove scientifically, so I really don't see how it could come to the point where the cosmological argument is invalidated. As it is, reviewers have read the book by now and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of "evidence" or anything "new" here at all, so I wouldn't worry.

To address your question, however, there are apologists who don't use the cosmological argument at all. Those who don't use it probably tend to focus more on historical arguments, like the historicity of Christ's resurrection and of the Bible, probably talk about archeology, the reliability of the Gospel accounts, and others. For philosophical arguments, I think the moral argument is a very important one that isn't always used in a good way- sometimes it's used like an emotional appeal instead of a professional argument, but I think there's a lot in it. At the very least it can shake up an atheist's view on morality. I really don't get atheists who think they're "moral people" when I think the moral argument presents a very good case that there cannot possibly be an objective moral standard without a God. If there were more intellectually honest atheists who lived their lives according to their worldview, I would have to think that more of them would tend toward nihilism. Anyway, my point is that even though the cosmological argument is an important and convincing one, the loss of it wouldn't mean that we would have to "salvage the case" for Christian theism (at least imo)... there are a lot of other arguments and more could be created in time.
J.Davis
Established Member

Post by J.Davis »

Hawking discovered a way to help people that want to deny God’s existence achieve success.

Nothing new… y/:)
Huh, a beam in my eye? No, you're mistaken. Let's just say that this patch keeps things....interesting.
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

Nobody, not even a physicist such as Stephen Hawking knows what gravity is or isn't. We can observe the effect of gravity and apply mathematical equations (ie: newtoniam mechanics, force = mass * acceleration), but we don't know the cause of gravity. If one does not know the cause, we do not know if it existed prior to the universe. Its all speculation and nonsense (voodoo science) which too readily gets passed as science.
"Is it possible that God is not just an Engineer, but also a divine Artist who creates at times solely for His enjoyment? Maybe the Creator really does like beetles." RTB
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

godslanguage wrote:Nobody, not even a physicist such as Stephen Hawking knows what gravity is or isn't. We can observe the effect of gravity and apply mathematical equations (ie: newtoniam mechanics, force = mass * acceleration), but we don't know the cause of gravity. If one does not know the cause, we do not know if it existed prior to the universe. Its all speculation and nonsense (voodoo science) which too readily gets passed as science.
Nice seeing you again godslanguage. Either we make gravity our god or God our God... Either way we are simply practicing a religion, a philosophy.

In other words, choose your God wisely... ;)
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
suzette
Newbie Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by suzette »

I've always enjoyed Mr. Hawking's work, as I do all the physicists and the scientists who work so hard in this particular area.

I watched his two-hour program on this subject (the same info. as the book) and was quite astounded by the beauty of the universe displayed on the screen.

The fact that Mr. Hawking used words like 'luck' in the evolution of the universe was a bit of a disappointment. Mind you, I realize he is trying hard to simplify creation of the world and allow all of us to see how it was actually achieved.

We should all thank Mr. Hawking and the others who put this information out there to provide all the proof we need to believe that God does exist and both the book and the TV program has cemented this fact.

I followed his program with the Biblical version of creation and found it quite amazing how many words he seems to have taken from God's word to describe how the universe and our world in particular, came into being. Image this: we were created from 'dust'... where have we seen that word before?

I always enjoy the science in these discussions because it helps me become even closer to Christ knowing that He did, indeed, create all things.
Matt DeLockery
Newbie Member

Post by Matt DeLockery »

Nobody, not even a physicist such as Stephen Hawking knows what gravity is or isn't. We can observe the effect of gravity and apply mathematical equations (ie: newtoniam mechanics, force = mass * acceleration), but we don't know the cause of gravity. If one does not know the cause, we do not know if it existed prior to the universe. Its all speculation and nonsense (voodoo science) which too readily gets passed as science.
In his book, Hawking says that gravity is the curvature, or warping, of spacetime. What I find amazing is his view that this curvature of spacetime can somehow bring spacetime into existence. On page 5 he said philosophy was dead. It is apparent that he hasn't studied any of it.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

suzette wrote:
We should all thank Mr. Hawking and the others who put this information out there to provide all the proof we need to believe that God does exist and both the book and the TV program has cemented this fact.

I.
I for one am very glad that Hawking has confessed that his science equals his philosophy (which he calls dead).. Finally someone has proved that for us. THANK YOU HAWKINGS!!! And THANKS for the ammunition.. :clap:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
derrick09
Valued Member

Post by derrick09 »

http://www.strcast2.org/podcast/weekly/091910.mp3

Interview that Greg Koukl did with William Lane Craig on Hawking's book. This was done after Craig had read the book, so this is his immediate response to the book's claims. The interview is near the end of the radio show so you may want to fast forward it some. Craig laid out some awesome responses and had some key questions about the claims of the book. Thanks for your time guys, God bless. :wave:
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

That was a good interview. I'm happy to hear that scientists aren't jumping onto the bandwagon, and from what I've read I think Craig is right about that. Of course there are those atheists who will take any anti-God position and run with it, but the general response by science has been pretty reasonable imo. Then the response from apologists has been great, it makes me think that Hawking should have stuck to what he knows instead of writing philosophy, because he's not cut out to handle these responses.

So yeah, although this was one of those things that grabbed a lot of headlines, I can't see it as a book that tests the faith of any Christian with any understanding of apologetics or the current state of science.
Trucker
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Trucker »

It beggars belief that some of the contributors to this thread seem to believe they understand more about the nature of the universe than Stephen Hawking. And, as for comments along the lines of "he has more faith than all of us", well, just... :roll: Seriously, if you don't get it, do yourself a favour: read the book!
derrick09
Valued Member

Post by derrick09 »

Hey guys, here is a good article from JP Moreland in response to the book.

http://www.jpmoreland.com/2010/09/22/sc ... laughable/