Are humans superior to animals?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

"I like the “anthropomorphic fallacy”. So Washoe misunderstood something. I misunderstand things all the time. I like animals. I wouldn't put men so high above them."

Don't you think the writer here kind of falls out of line with this first statement. "I like animals. I wouldn't put men so high above them".
First of all, it looks like the author is comparing animals towards "men" in particular. (shouldn't it be man) LOL!
God put man far above all other living things.
Is the writer saying she would think twice before she would have choose a sacrifice between a human being or a dog?
I love animals as well, but I don't "love" them. Unless its a terrorist or a serial killer, I will always choose a human over any animal...sorry.
Turgonian
Christian: No

Post by Turgonian »

godslanguage -- Thank you for your response. You are obviously right (now I should get her to see that...). When someone asks the question, 'Are humans afraid of bacteria or are bacteria afraid of humans?', you could always say, 'Are humans afraid of falling anvils or are falling anvils afraid of humans? So who's superior?'

It's not that Elfhild puts animals above humans, but she thinks I shouldn't say they're far inferior to humans when it comes to intelligence and metaphysics. After all, who knows...?

Gman -- Good point.

Ape -- Hiya mate, good to see you here! What's your name? We'll give you a banana if you answer our questions. Answer them coherently and you'll get two. :lol:
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

I Love Animals too...

...They're delicious!!!

Sorry about that... I had a run in with PETA at the beach last weekend, so I had to get that off my chest :lol:
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

an ape wrote:ifn I anser yer kwestuns, willya gimme a banana?

First you'd have to prove you're an ape. Bananas are expensive you know, I wouldn't want to waste them on an ape-wannabe.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

puritan lad wrote:I Love Animals too...

...They're delicious!!!

Sorry about that... I had a run in with PETA at the beach last weekend, so I had to get that off my chest :lol:

PL, a plug for your blog (which is great by the way) and antagonizing PETA in the same thread :shock:. You are shameless! (but do go on :twisted: :lol: ).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

A Scientific Response:

Animals do not have speech*, some species can communicate vocally. Some apes have shown language processing capabilities through sign language, and other non-vocal means.

*There have been several case-studies with birds which show they also have language processing capability, but this does not occur in the wild.

Some animals can make progress and learn and pass down knowledge to the next generation.

Dolphins may not be as smart as popularly conceived.

The rest of this include anecdotes which do not stand up to scientific scrutiny. For instance this cat
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Bgood,

Can you give me an example of animals passing and building upon information from one generation to another?

Thanks.

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Dr Zaius? Is that you?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Bgood,

Can you give me an example of animals passing and building upon information from one generation to another?

Thanks.

Bart
Sure
:)
click here
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Thank you. Interesting article.
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:Bgood,

Thanks.

Bart
Sure
:)
click here

So the article is saying that chimps and crows are on the same level of intellgence as well? So our closest relatives the chimps are about to get outsmarted by crows :wink:
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Crow can't peel bananas and throw their own feces out of a cage.

They still have a ways to go.

;)
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

Anyone see the episode of the Simpsons where the dolphins take over the whole town? Cartoons don't lie, think about what we are in for when the Crows attack, just try eating your PETA Puritan Lad...you will regret it :? :o :shock:
Angel Cake
Acquainted Member

Post by Angel Cake »

puritan lad wrote:I had a run in with PETA at the beach last weekend, so I had to get that off my chest
Well, don't leave us hanging. What happened?