Why Doesn't America believe in Evolution?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

thereal wrote:
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:We have to believe that all life came about by natural means in order to believe viruses can evolve and pest species can become resistent? This is absurd nonsense. You don't have to believe in macroevolution to believe in microevolution. Evolution is not one of those miracle elixers left over before the creation of the FDA. It will not cure cancer and give you more energy.
Talk about banging on drums...the old micro- vs. macro- escape... I have no doubt that if microevolution weren't visible to the layperson, I'd have to make repeated arguments for its existence as well. Anyway, my point was to address the statement that suggested that medicine, surgery. technology, etc. have nothing to do with evolution, which is obviously false.
Obviously not. And it's not a micro vs macro escape. You have to show that minor changes within a species can be extrapolated indefinately. I don't have to show it's false. Keep on asserting, it's the best thing you can do when you lack evidence.

You can belittle me all you want I guess. The greatest Darwinist defense.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

"You seem to have a very limited view or knowledge of evolution if the only thing that comes to your mind is a rat turning into a horse (didn't happen) or plant turned into a fish (I really hope that was a joke)."

Ofcourse I didn't mean this literally, that was only part of my point. Rats obviously don't turn into horses just as plants don't turn into fish, this was only a figure of speech. And your right, I am very limited in the knowledge of the evolution theory, but only because I took computer electronics instead of biology.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote: Obviously not. And it's not a micro vs macro escape. You have to show that minor changes within a species can be extrapolated indefinately. I don't have to show it's false. Keep on asserting, it's the best thing you can do when you lack evidence.
Lets do a little mental excersize. Tell me what do you think would happen if I took all the DNA from a cats egg cell and replaced it with that of a dog?
Last edited by BGoodForGoodSake on Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
thereal wrote: Obviously not. And it's not a micro vs macro escape. You have to show that minor changes within a species can be extrapolated indefinately. I don't have to show it's false. Keep on asserting, it's the best thing you can do when you lack evidence.
Lets do a little mental excersize. Tell me what do you think would happen if I took all the DNA from a cats egg cell and replaced it with that of a dog?
A democrat in the White House? ;)
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:Lets do a little mental excersize. Tell me what do you think would happen if I took all the DNA from a cats egg cell and replaced it with that of a dog?
Tell me what do you think will happen if you tell the scientific community that you believe natural selection took all the DNA from a cat's egg cell and replaced it with that of a dog?
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Turgonian wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:Lets do a little mental excersize. Tell me what do you think would happen if I took all the DNA from a cats egg cell and replaced it with that of a dog?
Tell me what do you think will happen if you tell the scientific community that you believe natural selection took all the DNA from a cat's egg cell and replaced it with that of a dog?
Let's be fair. Bgood is making a valid point. Obviously, if you're going to make comments about evolution, you should be accurate in terms of what evolution claims as a sciencific theory.

Turgonian, I don't think you've really met or interacted with Bgood since you've come onto our board. He is seeking to demonstrate here that evolution does not make any such claim.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
David Blacklock
Valued Member

trivia in evolution

Post by David Blacklock »

What do you suppose happens if the mouse gene for eyes is artificially located in the fly genome for legs? Does anybody want to know?
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Ah.... Micky mouse with wings? :roll:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

What happens when an "enhanced version (i.e., a synthetic mutation) of the original wild-type green fluorescent gene found in the jellyfish Aequorea Victoria" is "integrated into the [rabbit] genome through zygote microinjection"?
David Blacklock
Valued Member

Post by David Blacklock »

Very close, but no banana

Here are the choices:

Does an eye develop?

If it doesn't. what does develop?

If an eye develops, what kind?

Whatever develops., where does it develop?

Does the same thing happen every time with this experiment?
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

You mean this guy..? Sorry, can't get this picture out of my mind... :roll:

The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

David Blacklock wrote:Very close, but no banana

Here are the choices:

Does an eye develop?

If it doesn't. what does develop?

If an eye develops, what kind?

Whatever develops., where does it develop?

Does the same thing happen every time with this experiment?
Yes
Normal fly's eye
Where it should
Yes?

*Dunt dunt dun DUN*
Last edited by AttentionKMartShoppers on Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

BGood, and thereal, a little mental exercise:

http://intelligentdesign.podomatic.com/ ... 8_27-07_00

And listen to it (in response to thereal's equivocation between microevolution and macroevolution...again).

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

I can't believe my ears. Yes, please, I would like to here the responses from Bgood and TheReal from an unbiased response from a microbiologist. Who should I believe?
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

How will you reinterpret his understanding with yours based on what experiments you or others have made to prove micro as just a journey towards macro?