Can Science be ethical???

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
godslanguage

Can Science be ethical???

Post by godslanguage »

Well, can science be ethical? What makes science good or bad?

Whats your perspective on this?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Can Science be ethical???

Post by Canuckster1127 »

godslanguage wrote:Well, can science be ethical? What makes science good or bad?

Whats your perspective on this?
Science is a method.

It is value and moral neutral.

It is what people do and how they do it that makes it good or bad.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
thereal
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by thereal »

That's a pretty broad question...can you give a little more context to what you're asking. There are numerous courses taught in universities dealing with ethics, but usually these are focused on whether or not certain aspects of science, such as testing on animals, are ethical or not. Some issues of ethics concern how to represent your findings or to design an experiment . There are also courses in conservation ethics, which deal with the ethical implications of preserving species or allowing them to perish, the implications for human interests as they relate to conservation, etc. What are you actually asking here?
NeedMoreChipotleTabasco
Newbie Member

Re: Can Science be ethical???

Post by NeedMoreChipotleTabasco »

Canuckster1127 wrote: Science is a method.

It is value and moral neutral.

It is what people do and how they do it that makes it good or bad.
Exactly. Science is about answering questions. Ethics (in science) is about regulating methodology.

For example, during World War II the Germans wanted to know how long a pilot could survive after parachuting into the English Channel. That's a valid question and worthy of study. The methodology that they employed, however, was to submerge concentration camp prisoners up to their necks in vats of ice water and time how long it took for them to die of hypothermia. That's monsterous, unethical, immoral, and just plain sick, but it doesn't make science unethical - it makes a handful of demented German scientists unethical.
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

Thanks for the replies, but I think everyone summed that up for me, that the people behind the science determine if the science is ethical or not.
Although, I do understand that my question wasn't in-depth enough, I wasn't really looking for an in-depth answer either. Thanks again!