The Gaia Hypothesis

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member
Christian: No

The Gaia Hypothesis

Post by SUGAAAAA »

my Biology teacher was talking about alternative theories for life on Earth, and she mentioned the "Gaia Hypothesis", which is a theory that states the Earth and all living creatures on it are 1 organism, the living creatures are to help maintain a suitable environment for earth.

Is this an accurate view of life? It was pretty interesting but she didnt say much else, so I wanted to read more on it.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
IRQ Conflict
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

I don't know much about that belief, I think it is eastern mysticism not sure though.

In light of that belief, on a physical level you could say it is partially true considering God made us from the dust of the earth (Carbon). However we are also imparted with spirit so that way of thinking can only get you so far.

It's like trying to go visit God with the space shuttle, the way I see it.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Sounds like the Bahaii Faith...
ryo dokomi
Established Member

Post by ryo dokomi »

that kind of thinking is an eastern philosophy. This is a good site that talks about much of that stuff. alot of the New Ager's think of that kind of thought too. come Here to find that

it sound like this...

Monism--the belief that all things are of one essential substance, giving rise to statements like, "I am the universe. I am one with all things." There is no room for a dualistic view of God transcending creation, and being apart from creation, in this mindset. All is One.
-----Mike Shreve #5

this is a site by a man named Mike Shreve. he was a guest speaker at my church this last sunday too, and he was awesome.

http://www.thetruelight.net is the full site. have a look at it, its very imformative.
Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7

it is all about submitting before God, then, and only then, will we have the promise given in Luke 10:19
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

The Gaia Hypothesis is the idea that Earth and its biosphere work together to reach equilibriums in systems. Just as our bodies do internally.

In this way it is possible to study the Earth as a single organism whose cyclical systems are interwined in complex ways to reach equilibriums such as oxygen content in the atmosphere and ambient temperatures.

It's another paradigm with which to study the earth. From this perspective it's more top down, with ecosystems and organisms being seen as components of a living Earth.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Cougar
Recognized Member

Post by Cougar »

I actually think that the Gaia Hypothesis is a fairly healthy way to look at the Earth and our lives here. If we viewed ourselves as one with the Earth, then when we hurt the Earth (which we do all the time) we hurt ourselves. I believe this thought would improve our ideas and distortions regarding our natural resources and envoke a sense of respect for everyone and every living thing on the planet.

I have actually had an environmental ethics class where we discussed how Christianity has been bad for natural resources because of the viewpoint that "we have domain over the land and all living things"... meaning that many see this statement as an excuse to exploit the land. Now, I have read this in the Bible and I don't see it this way, but we argued in class that many have interpretted this notion as though we can just do whatever we want to the Earth because "we have domain". I feel that this statement was more intended to be interpretted as though we should take care of the Earth because we can. I would like to know what you all think? Can you see how this could be misconstrued?

By the way, I could be wrong, but I believe that the Gaia Hypothesis is very similar to how Native Americans view the Earth... they traditionally have great respect for everything and take nothing for granted.
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

If people would obey God, that would be healthy all around.

Rev 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

Cougar
Recognized Member

Post by Cougar »

Yes, I suppose that if everyone believed in God and no one argued over what or who this God is, that would be all right. However, we all know that is not the case, so to argue that "if we all obeyed God, we would be healthy all around" just isn't a good argument.
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Heh, it might not be, in your opinion 'a good argument' but it is going to be the only solution. Man will continue to screw things up until Christ returns. It's in his nature.
Hellfire

N4SC
Familiar Member

Re: The Gaia Hypothesis

Post by N4SC »

The Gaia Hypothesis is a greek myth that states the titan "Gaia" which means earth mother or something is the entire planet and has trees on her back.

So, no.
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis