The Daily Show With Jon Stewart - Evolution Schmevolution

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.

What Is The Best Supporting Theory After Examining All The Evidence?

Darwinian Evolution/Neo-Darwinian Evolution
4
44%
Theistic Evolution
1
11%
Creationism
0
No votes
Intelligent Design
4
44%
 
Total votes: 9

User avatar
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:44 pm
Christian: No
Location: Oregon
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart - Evolution Schmevolution

#1

Post by Believer » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:21 am

Okay, so starting tonight, 9/12/05, The Daily Show With Jon Stewart, will be airing a week long special called "Evolution Schmevolution" on the theories of evolution, creationism, and intelligent design. This show is on Comedy Central. According to Jon Stewart, the "anchor" of the "news team", he says the show will "solve this debate" and come to a "conclusion" by the end of this week long special, more specifically the show announcer says "The questions will be answered, no more monkeying around" :lol:. Daily show information for this week long show special is currently available on the The Daily Show With Jon Stewart website. As you know, there are many ID/Creationism/Theistic Evolution websites criticizing Darwinian Evolution/Neo-Darwinian Evolution websites and many Darwinian Evolution/Neo-Darwinian Evolution websites criticizing ID/Creationism/Theistic Evolution websites, back and forth, non-stop. Based on all the evidence examined from all sides of the debate, what is the best supporting theory?
Last edited by Believer on Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:44 pm
Christian: No
Location: Oregon
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#2

Post by Believer » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:40 am

"Evolution Schmevolution" - Day One - 9/12/05

Jon Stewart kicks off the week long special with the history of evolution, what's taught in science class, or, as it's known in some places, "The Crazy Claim Magic Fun Hour"?:

Image
Click Picture To Watch

Ed Helms, the "correspondent" of the "news team" on The Daily Show With Jon Stewart, visits at a quaint reenactment town (home of the Scopes trial) that would be terrifying if it were real:

Image
Click Picture To Watch


Image
Chris Mooney

Chris Mooney is welcomed on The Daily Show With Jon Stewart to present his new book - The Republican War on Science.

Image
Click Picture To Review And/Or Purchase His Book

Chris Mooney is in favor of Darwinian Evolution/Neo-Darwinian Evolution, and he says there is TONS of evidence for it. He thinks the Republicans stance on science is skewed. He also discusses his subtly titled book "The Republican War on Science."

Image
Click Picture To Watch


Evolution Facts: The 8th Day
There is a growing consensus that on the eighth day God created Cher.

Image
Click Picture To Watch
Last edited by Believer on Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2163
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:37 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Location: Austin, Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time
Contact:

#3

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:29 am

Dipstick doesn't seem to know what science is...probably like other ignorant people and think that origins science is the same as operational science...lol.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous

User avatar
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2163
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:37 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Location: Austin, Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time
Contact:

#4

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:30 am

What do you expect from people on the comedy channel?
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous

User avatar
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2125
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:44 am
Christian: No
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 12 times

#5

Post by BGoodForGoodSake » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:28 am

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Dipstick doesn't seem to know what science is...probably like other ignorant people and think that origins science is the same as operational science...lol.
Where in the world do you get these distinctions?
Organic Chemistry and Biology are practical sciences. Evolution is based on physical evidence.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2163
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:37 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Location: Austin, Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time
Contact:

#6

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:04 am

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Dipstick doesn't seem to know what science is...probably like other ignorant people and think that origins science is the same as operational science...lol.
Where in the world do you get these distinctions?
Organic Chemistry and Biology are practical sciences. Evolution is based on physical evidence.
Like I said
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous

User avatar
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2163
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:37 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Location: Austin, Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time
Contact:

#7

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:06 am

What I was referring to is the fact that a lot of people, most likely this bozo, says that saying there's a creator IS NOT SCIENCE because science looks for naturalistic explanations...but, as I've said before, that's operational science's definition being used for origin science...
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous

User avatar
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2163
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:37 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Location: Austin, Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time
Contact:

#8

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:08 am

And, really, what physical evidence is evolution based on?
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous

User avatar
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2125
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:44 am
Christian: No
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 12 times

#9

Post by BGoodForGoodSake » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:18 am

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:And, really, what physical evidence is evolution based on?
There are many.

Let us first state the fact that all living organisms must come from other living organisms.

Next there are many types of organisms.

And Finally the fossil evidence contains many more species than are living today. And does not always contain examples of species living today.

Examine the evidence and it is clear that organisms have changed over time.

We could continue to what organic chemistry has contributed to our knowledge base, but I will save that for another post if need be.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:44 pm
Christian: No
Location: Oregon
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#10

Post by Believer » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:22 pm

BGoodForGoodSake, two simple questions. Do you deny the existence of a divine creator not of these dimensions and deny the existence of an afterlife? I'm just curious.

User avatar
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2163
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:37 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Location: Austin, Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time
Contact:

#11

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:30 pm

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:And, really, what physical evidence is evolution based on?
There are many.

Let us first state the fact that all living organisms must come from other living organisms.

Next there are many types of organisms.

And Finally the fossil evidence contains many more species than are living today. And does not always contain examples of species living today.

Examine the evidence and it is clear that organisms have changed over time.

We could continue to what organic chemistry has contributed to our knowledge base, but I will save that for another post if need be.
A living organism must come from another living organism..yes, we call this the law of biogenesis-life comes from life. But then you have a problem, because evolution is built upon the assumption of abiogenesis-life coming from non-life. I win.

Many types of organisms...? So?

The fossil record has more types of life than currently are living...well, yes, extinction occurs at a certain rate (can't remember the number, but a certain number of species die out per year) Your point? Also, almost ALL phylums of the animal kingdom have been found in the fossil record, in ONE small section!....some scientists venture to say ALL are in there, but only about 5 are missing according to our current knowledge. What does this have to do with evolution? Have you heard of the Cambrian Explosion?

Organisms change over time...yes, microevolution...your point?

Organic chemistry...?? Continue with your evidence, don't stop at the title.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous

User avatar
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2125
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:44 am
Christian: No
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 12 times

#12

Post by BGoodForGoodSake » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:55 am

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:And, really, what physical evidence is evolution based on?
There are many.

Let us first state the fact that all living organisms must come from other living organisms.

Next there are many types of organisms.

And Finally the fossil evidence contains many more species than are living today. And does not always contain examples of species living today.

Examine the evidence and it is clear that organisms have changed over time.

We could continue to what organic chemistry has contributed to our knowledge base, but I will save that for another post if need be.
A living organism must come from another living organism..yes, we call this the law of biogenesis-life comes from life. But then you have a problem, because evolution is built upon the assumption of abiogenesis-life coming from non-life. I win.
This is not true, study the topic more and we can continue the argument.
Evolution concerns speciation and change of organisms through time. It does not pose the origins of life.
Many types of organisms...? So?

The fossil record has more types of life than currently are living...well, yes, extinction occurs at a certain rate (can't remember the number, but a certain number of species die out per year) Your point? Also, almost ALL phylums of the animal kingdom have been found in the fossil record, in ONE small section!....some scientists venture to say ALL are in there, but only about 5 are missing according to our current knowledge. What does this have to do with evolution? Have you heard of the Cambrian Explosion?
Yes your right all phylums of life did occur in the precambrian along with other animal types which are fantastic and no longer exist. But, you don't even have to take a close look to see that life at that period was extremely alien to life forms which exist now. The phylum chordata which mammals belong to was represented by a lone urochordate, a very primative organism. Also arthopod like forms dominated the cambrian seas. Fish, nowhere to be found. So where did the fish come from? Did they microevolve from the urochordates? Did they appear out of nowhere? What happened to the law of biogenesis?
Organisms change over time...yes, microevolution...your point?

Organic chemistry...?? Continue with your evidence, don't stop at the title.
Lets finish this topic before going onto more complex matters. Fossil finds are the most basic and tactile of evidence for evolution.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2125
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:44 am
Christian: No
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 12 times

#13

Post by BGoodForGoodSake » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:08 am

Thinker wrote:BGoodForGoodSake, two simple questions. Do you deny the existence of a divine creator not of these dimensions and deny the existence of an afterlife? I'm just curious.
No of course I don't.
Don't be silly,
but I am always in favor of increasing human knowledge.
I beleive that there is a limit to human understanding, but we have yet to reach it. Systematic discovery is the best way to realize this potential.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:44 pm
Christian: No
Location: Oregon
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#14

Post by Believer » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:45 am

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Thinker wrote:BGoodForGoodSake, two simple questions. Do you deny the existence of a divine creator not of these dimensions and deny the existence of an afterlife? I'm just curious.
No of course I don't.
Don't be silly,
but I am always in favor of increasing human knowledge.
I beleive that there is a limit to human understanding, but we have yet to reach it. Systematic discovery is the best way to realize this potential.
Yes, I am in favor of increasing human knowledge as well and I do believe we are "capped off" to a certain extent of human understanding. For me, maybe not you, it is that we are "capped off" because we are divinely hard-wired that way, we do have a percentage of brain mass that goes unused, but it may be used for some other purpose besides our knowledge on Earth :wink:.

User avatar
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2125
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:44 am
Christian: No
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 12 times

#15

Post by BGoodForGoodSake » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:48 pm

Thinker wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Thinker wrote:BGoodForGoodSake, two simple questions. Do you deny the existence of a divine creator not of these dimensions and deny the existence of an afterlife? I'm just curious.
No of course I don't.
Don't be silly,
but I am always in favor of increasing human knowledge.
I beleive that there is a limit to human understanding, but we have yet to reach it. Systematic discovery is the best way to realize this potential.
Yes, I am in favor of increasing human knowledge as well and I do believe we are "capped off" to a certain extent of human understanding. For me, maybe not you, it is that we are "capped off" because we are divinely hard-wired that way, we do have a percentage of brain mass that goes unused, but it may be used for some other purpose besides our knowledge on Earth :wink:.
Agreed,

On an off note we actually use 100% of our brains.
The 10% thing is a myth and continues to survive despite it being obviously wrong.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Post Reply